Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 16, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE MUSICALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Water pressure issues in Culver City, home to MGM, impacted the filming of an iconic scene in this 1952 movie musical

Jessica Babbitt: 12000+12000=24000
Sarah Schmitt: 5400-0=5400
Sid Katz: 18400+7474=24874 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Singin’ in the Rain (Sarah – The Wizard of Oz)

Daily Doubles
Jessica: 1600+1000
Sid: 5600+2000
DD3 not found

Coryats
Jessica: 11600
Sarah: 5400
Sid: 18000

Combined: 35,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jessica: 4000
Sarah: 3800
Sid: 3600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

One of those local anchors type categories playing last in the first round meant the J! category had to be completed followed by not enough time to finish the DJ! round. It may have mattered as DD3 was left hidden.

For the audience signs held up at the opening the best I could make out was Taft College [image of the cougar mascot] Love You Alex on one side and Jeopardy logo and image on the other side.

Learned Leaguers who missed the Ghosn question last week have another shot at it today.

The FJ! category had me ready with at least a dozen movie musicals while I managed to not have the correct one in the mix. The clue was one where "Water" and 1952 were enough for me to write quickly. Sid had no apostrophe in his response which is okay and at least both he & Jessica did not add a second G.

If Sid bet 5601 of his 18400 then he would have fallen to 12799 on a miss. Jessica with 12000 would need to get it correct to have a chance to win. Sid instead bet 7474 which on a miss would have dropped him to 10926 and allowed Jessica to possibly win even without solving the FJ! clue.

Very like no ToC for Jessica as ahead of her are:
Spoiler
Ryan Bilger - guaranteed a spot as alternate for 2019 along with having been better on wins/money than several who got in
Jason Z
Sam Kavanaugh
Jennifer Quail
Karen Farrell
V3
MacKenzie Jones
Paul Trifiletti
College
Teacher
Steve Moulds 3x $85,603
Elise Nussbaum 3x $79,600
putting Jessica at #13
acthomas

Post by acthomas »

Shower thought this morning (seriously) - would a contestant get dinged for "Singing In The Rain"? Different situation than Gangsta's/Gangster's Paradise.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

acthomas wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:14 pm Shower thought this morning (seriously) - would a contestant get dinged for "Singing In The Rain"? Different situation than Gangsta's/Gangster's Paradise.
Not in this game: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4126
ACW

Post by ACW »

acthomas wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 12:14 pm Shower thought this morning (seriously) - would a contestant get dinged for "Singing In The Rain"? Different situation than Gangsta's/Gangster's Paradise.
It is? Seems like a similar situation to me. The film's "Singin' in the Rain" (I wouldn't be opposed to making the apostrophe required); the song's "Gangsta's Paradise".
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

No guess here. I was trying to think of something that required a lot more water than a rain shower.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

Cursed under my breath at the category, but 1952 musical with a watery iconic scene? I can do that. Instaget FJ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:30 pm No guess here. I was trying to think of something that required a lot more water than a rain shower.
Same here. My first thought was The Ten Commandments but remembered the category and spent the rest of the time trying to think of a movie with both singin(g) and a lot of water.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $37,600 (47R, 1W)
DD 2/2
FJ :mrgreen:

Curses to those slow video clues that cause later clues to be left on the board. Double curses when it's $4800 worth of science!

Struggled mightily with current events, was okay on everything else.
xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:35 pm Cursed under my breath at the category, but 1952 musical with a watery iconic scene? I can do that. Instaget FJ.
I could have written the exact same thing....
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

It's been a long time since I studied chemistry in college and vet school, but since when is the atomic number of potassium 40? I'm quite sure that they meant the question to refer to the isotope of potassium with atomic weight of 40, but that is absolutely not what the clue said. The contestant got it right based on the "K" TOM in the clue, but if someone had said zirconium, TPTB would surely have had to give it to them. Well, not "give" it to them, per se, as if it was a correct answer to all of the clue, but they'd have to give back points after ruling it wrong. Or perhaps even bring back a contestant who had been ruled incorrect and subsequently lost the game. Granted it was a low value clue, but the mistake was so very sloppy.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I think the distinction between gangsta and gangster is what caused the neg. According to Merriam-Webster:

Definition of gangsta

1 : a member of an inner-city street gang
2 : a performer of gangsta rap

Definition of gangster

: a member of a gang of criminals : racketeer

In short: Coolio is a gangsta, Whitey Bulger is a gangster.

The word singin' is an abbreviated form (there must be a linguistic term for that - anyone?) for singing, so I'm not sure you can draw a distinction. They're not just synonyms, they literally refer to the same dictionary word; other than their different rhythmic use in poetry and lyrics, you could theoretically substitute one for the other any time. It would be like negging "theatre" for "theater".

When I saw MOVIE MUSICALS, I literally said out loud, "I win", and...well, I did. J! hopefuls, I know I bang this drum a lot, but take note: Although this particular answer doesn't fit the bill of a "double media" clue, the category does. J! loves adaptations - novels to musicals, paintings to musical pieces, what have you. It's a good way to bridge high culture with pop culture, and gives people two different ways to come up with a response.

For me, water + 50s = Singin' in the Rain, no doubt. One 30-second click on the remote to skip the Think! music, game over. I must have seen that famous scene about 10 or 20 times in my life waiting in like at Disney/MGM/Hollywood Studios - it's part of the loop that they play while you're waiting for the Great Movie Ride.

I love math, but for some reason my brain always stalls on century numbers - I always make a fencepost error if I go back too far and think the 12th century is the 1300s, not the 1100s. I wonder if they'd accept "1801 to 1900" as a correct response? It's a synonym for "19th century", and the category doesn't have century in quotes.

I precalled both Cohns in the "Rods and Cohns" category, simply because I didn't know any others. Also precalled "fiXer" randomly as the first word I could think of with an X in the middle.

The last two ARCHITECTURE clues seemed way too easy - I'm generally an architecture dunce, but "name a basilica, here's an Italian name" and "people who use a lot of black eyeliner that's also a type of architecture" seemed to be more higher row clues to me, but maybe my brain was operating on the right wavelength.

Strategy note: Attack the must-play categories in the J! round early on, or at least after the DD is revealed - never save them to the end. Get them out of the way, so your triumvirate isn't forced to burn the higher value clues in DJ!. I've noticed contestants tend to do the opposite - why?
Golf

Post by Golf »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm Strategy note: Attack the must-play categories in the J! round early on, or at least after the DD is revealed - never save them to the end. Get them out of the way, so your triumvirate isn't forced to burn the higher value clues in DJ!. I've noticed contestants tend to do the opposite - why?
What if you are weak in the "must play" category? What if you are a weak player to begin with? A weak player would want to shorten the game as much as possible in hopes of winning, in the long run the cream will always rise to the top. There's lots of reasons why a player would want the game to play out this way.

Can we have a rule change where if all DD's aren't played nobody is declared the winner? :twisted:

1952 + musical is an 11-time Pavlov for Singin' in the Rain.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Typical. Leave three science clues on the board, then have a musicals FJ. 1952 + water wasn't t enough for me. :(
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I enjoyed Jessica's run but I must say I was cheering for Katz today. He seemed stronger on serious stuff and weaker on the fluff. That made me wonder if he would prevail when I saw the category was movie musicals. Then it occurred to me that movie musicals referred to very old movies, and you can figure the rest.

You can all laugh at me because I said mascara for Gothic.

On both clues Cohn was pronounced Cohen. I always thought Cohn was just pronounced cone.

I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

floridagator wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:30 pm
I've always understood the rule on Jeopardy to be that you are not penalized if you fix a grammatical error for example by changing Singin to singing but you are in trouble if you drop a g, such as changing Waiting for Godot to Waitin' for Godot. Heaven Help me if I ever get on the show and Final Jeopardy asks about You've Lost That Loving Feelin'.
We're allowed to fix grammatical errors? Cool! I can't wait to answer a clue about a Lady Gaga song with "You and Me". (Yes, it's niche, but it's funny because it always bugged me when it was on the radio.)
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:28 pm

The word singin' is an abbreviated form (there must be a linguistic term for that - anyone?) for singing, so I'm not sure you can draw a distinction. They're not just synonyms, they literally refer to the same dictionary word; other than their different rhythmic use in poetry and lyrics, you could theoretically substitute one for the other any time. It would be like negging "theatre" for "theater".

When I saw MOVIE MUSICALS, I literally said out loud, "I win", and...well, I did. J! hopefuls, I know I bang this drum a lot, but take note: Although this particular answer doesn't fit the bill of a "double media" clue, the category does. J! loves adaptations - novels to musicals, paintings to musical pieces, what have you. It's a good way to bridge high culture with pop culture, and gives people two different ways to come up with a response.

Singing, to state the obvious, is pronounced differently than singin'. That's the only reason it might be negged. In an oral response the difference could be understood as an element of an accent. A written response doesn't carry that excuse. But there is the matter discussed the other day of the writers/judges not being assholes....

Singin' in the Rain was adapted as a (not wildly successful) Broadway musical in the 1980s, so in that sense it does fit the J! loves adaptations trope. But it should be noted that the movie is not an adaptation but an original screenplay with a largely secondhand score. Most of the songs were lifted from earlier MGM musicals, including the title number.

A clue on today's show was foreshadowed about a month ago... :geek:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5583&p=327334&hilit ... er#p327334
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I certainly would remember if I had heard of Dexter the peacock, given my last name, but he was an utter NHOI to me and seemed vastly out of place in the $200 box and I would like to see it on the poll.

Come to think of it, that whole category felt very obscure.

Otherwise a very meh game for me. Didn't really feel overwhelmed or at ease in any category.

Water pressure? Uh... 1950s... Singin' in the Rain?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:30 pm No guess here. I was trying to think of something that required a lot more water than a rain shower.
I think you might be severely underestimating the volume of water needed to make rain show up on film (not to mention it's a long scene, a large set, one shot and it's always pouring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1ZYhVpdXbQ )

Kept waiting for an Imagine Dragons clue in "Radio Active"...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)