Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 84

Post by ouachiouat »

Glad my dad got Prodigy all those years ago. Threw that down as a random guess and got lucky. Another wild guess with Mercedes, and I pulled out the win.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I had one of my more disappointing misses yesterday on the Stone's song. The clue included this phrase: exactly one has a title which is, in its one-word entirety, a common female first name.

I'm pretty sure I mulled over "Angie", but decided on "Gloria" ("G-L-O-R-I-A) because the rule with Thorsten is Every.Word.Matters. Oh, well - my bad for not knowing which overrated artist is credited with which overhyped song ;). But why the weird phrasing?

Somehow I'm in 6th place because 5 of my last 7 matches are with top 8 players. I understand the masochistic nature of this game now, the structure insures that you are always going to be beat up on unless you are Brad Jennings or something...
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am I had one of my more disappointing misses yesterday on the Stone's song. The clue included this phrase: exactly one has a title which is, in its one-word entirety, a common female first name.

I'm pretty sure I mulled over "Angie", but decided on "Gloria" ("G-L-O-R-I-A) because the rule with Thorsten is Every.Word.Matters. Oh, well - my bad for not knowing which overrated artist is credited with which overhyped song ;). But why the weird phrasing?
It needed to be absolutely clear that "Ruby Tuesday" and "Lady Jane" were not correct answers.

I was once surprised to find out "Gloria" wasn't a Rolling Stones song too. (For those who don't know, it's by Them, Van Morrison's band before he was a solo artist.)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:20 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 9:58 am I had one of my more disappointing misses yesterday on the Stone's song. The clue included this phrase: exactly one has a title which is, in its one-word entirety, a common female first name.

It needed to be absolutely clear that "Ruby Tuesday" and "Lady Jane" were not correct answers.

I was once surprised to find out "Gloria" wasn't a Rolling Stones song too. (For those who don't know, it's by Them, Van Morrison's band before he was a solo artist.)
Number 1 song the week I was born. (Chart dated that week, anyway.)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Interesting result for me yesterday as I lost 3(1)-4(2), with Angie being my only get.

I had definitely heard of Diary of a Wimpy Kid, but I didn't know anything about it. I figured that I would regret giving my opponent a 3 for that one.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

“Angie” Overrated? Not one bit! The Stones haven’t canceled their upcoming tour yet but it’s rumored that they will soon. It starts in San Diego in May 8th. I won yesterday because my opponent bet 3 that I’d get that wrong and I did the same for them. That made all the difference. I don’t have any interest in auto raving but I thought Hamilton had some connection to Toyota. I guess not. I scored 4 correct for the victory after 4 days of getting 4 or 5 correct but taking the loss.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Morrison and Them did it first, but Jimi did it best (nearly 9 minutes long and a few lyrics are NSFW):
https://www.facebook.com/watch/?v=2403715686565358
"Gloria! Get off my chest--it's time to get out of here!"
In and out of the pool four times
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

reddpen wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 pm

Morrison and Them did it first, but Jimi did it best (nearly 9 minutes long and a few lyrics are NSFW):

This fuddy-duddy asserts that the bestest performance of a song titled "Gloria" was a 1954 Doo Wop version by The Cadillacs, perhaps the first Doo Wop song that turned me on to the genre a few.... um.... years ago. The Mills Brothers 1948 (non-Doo Wop, obviously) version of essentially the same song is pretty darn good too.

Cadillacs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U28e4EEC2j4
Mills Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNjrt_eKMc
Song info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_(L ... 3%A9_song)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

I thought sure 'Gloria' had been covered by The Animals, so I thought the great Van Morrison, the great Stones, AND the great Eric Burdon (I maintain Eric Burdon is one of the most underrated rock vocalists of all time) had been dissed. Turns out only two of three, but that's still inexcusable.

LOTS of low-value trash in this game. Felt like an easy 4th podium win, but only had $11,800 in trash. Still a sure win, but not from the 4th podium. And yes, podium, Diogenes.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

RandyG wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:11 pm
reddpen wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:40 pm

This fuddy-duddy asserts that the bestest performance of a song titled "Gloria" was a 1954 Doo Wop version by The Cadillacs, perhaps the first Doo Wop song that turned me on to the genre a few.... um.... years ago. The Mills Brothers 1948 (non-Doo Wop, obviously) version of essentially the same song is pretty darn good too.

Cadillacs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U28e4EEC2j4
Mills Brothers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDNjrt_eKMc
Song info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloria_(L ... 3%A9_song)
RandyG: OK, that's just weird :lol: But I love the Mills Bros talking about the Jones boy.
Sg: Thanks for the context. It makes perfect sense to carve out the exemption for those two titles.

Boardies - I shouldn't have dissed artists or performers. Listening to RandyG's playlist is my penance :lol: .

Since we are misdirected on the Gloria song, I have typecast it as the quintessential garage band song (more than Stairway to Heaven, Sweet Home Alabama, Day Tripper, etc..). I once heard some artist talk about trying out a new guitarist (who became famous), and they played Gloria for a half hour or so with it's repetitive E-D-A chord progression. They figured if he could do that without complaining, he'd work out. TLDR; easiest 3 chords to play on the guitar.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
cmp146
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by cmp146 »

That feeling when you realize that the song that you thought was "Angel" - an abstract name applied to a woman, is actually "Angie" a common woman's name. <sigh> Serves me right for not actually looking at the song lists of my dad's various compilation tapes and records.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kinda shocked that Bose/boson played as the hardest clue on the MDC.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:23 pm Kinda shocked that Bose/boson played as the hardest clue on the MDC.
I always forget that the boson is named for a person.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Looks like I was taken pity on. "Fred's big feet" counted for "(Fred's two) feet"
Didn't help anywhere in the slightest other than my ego.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 pm Looks like I was taken pity on. "Fred's big feet" counted for "(Fred's two) feet"
It may be that anything with "feet" was accepted as I was marked correct with "friendly feet". No matter how many times I've heard an opening TV theme, I may not know exact lyrics.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:47 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:32 pm Looks like I was taken pity on. "Fred's big feet" counted for "(Fred's two) feet"
It may be that anything with "feet" was accepted as I was marked correct with "friendly feet". No matter how many times I've heard an opening TV theme, I may not know exact lyrics.
Got credit for "their two feet"

Higgs boson, no dice.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I totally missed the Midseason Classic. Just looked at the questions and I would have done quite poorly, anyway.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thorsten now has unlimited advanced access for the rest of the season if you need it.

I also noticed you can now block people from tracking you if you want.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

In my 11th season, and finally "Annie Leibovitz" was the correct answer for a female photographer question! 4th time I've used her as an answer, but first time with any real confidence. I got all yesterday except Apu, although the only one I was sure of was Siouxsie and the Banshees and that was only from the wording of the clue. I was pretty sure START was right, although it took me a while to get Yalta out of my brain. Bahrain and Leibovitz I also felt pretty good about as kind of WECIB as I was sure that Qatar, Yemen, Oman, and UAE are all non-island nations so that left only Bahrain. But man, what a feeling when my total out of nowhere WAG on prime numbers was right. Based on the "sieve" in the clue, I narrowed it down to factors or primes and flipped a coin (not a Koin, this time).
12 foot boy and I are the only ones in the JBoardie dummy rundle, and after 19 days I am barely ahead, 10-8-1. But it will get worse if he keeps giving me 3 on American History!!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:28 pm Thorsten now has unlimited advanced access for the rest of the season if you need it.

I also noticed you can now block people from tracking you if you want.
Is there somewhere to see if you are being tracked? And are you saying you can select who tracks you, or just make it so no one can track you?