Friday, March 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Re: Friday, March 20, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 43,400
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Saturn (DD), rye, lavash, "laugh, and the world laughs with you," overshoes/overboots, hopper, Belgium

Wagering matters. Who knew?
This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 12:57 am
davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:18 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 pm I had "Allende" but couldn't pull the first name in time. Judges?

Do I need a first name to distinguish her from her father, even though he wasn't a writer?
He also isn't likely to come up on Jeopardy! His name was Tomás Allende. Salvador Allende was her godfather and cousin once removed.
Isabel is a J! perennial, showing up some 40 times in the archive. Salvador has come up fewer than 30 times.
Yeah, I think many people probably don't realize there are two Isabel Allendes of some fame. There's the writer, whose relationship to Salvador Allende is described above, and then there's Salvador Allende's daughter who was/is also a Chilean politician.
This is a thing I just learned within the past couple of weeks. Variety, people!
Sprinkles are for winners.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:33 pm
Robert K S wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:27 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:13 pm Did Alex call Tina Fey “the original SNL cast”?
No. He said "The early--the early days" and she said "Very early."
That was odd. Saturday Night Live had already been on the air for more than 20 years when Tina Fey joined the cast.
I took it to mean "the early stages of the careers of Tina Fey et al.," although it was obviously awkwardly worded.

I can't imagine an intern in the set design department had that much contact with the performers, although I'm sure it was a thrill to see a set piece you worked on during the week appear on TV on Saturday night.
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:44 pm
davey wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 10:26 pm
floridagator wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:47 pm
I wonder if they were being too generous by accepting his pronunciation of the ancient name of Mexico City. Was that fair to everyone else who has ever been emanciptated of winnings because of a mispronunciation?
He didn't mispronounce it. He said it hesitantly, and with a big pause before the end, but he got all 4 syllables in.
Specifically, his pronunciation went "tin-knocked-it...lin," which successfully (if not accurately) represented every letter in Tenochtitlan. It was fine to accept it.

More eyebrow-raising to me was Michonne successfully altering two of her responses, changing "Eurorail" to "Eurail Pass" when Alex asked her to say it again, and "roll vote" to "roll call" when Alex hesitated. I know it's fair game to take another stab if Alex hasn't ruled against you, but with the way the wagering went, she may have pulled victory from the jaws of defeat in those moments, to Abhijit's detriment.
I thought she said "Euro rail pass", but I guess she changed "Eurorail" to "Eurail pass". Apparently it used to be called the "Eurorail pass" before 1958, and I actually thought it was still called "Eurorail", not "Eurail".

Hopefully, if I gave my answer, I'd mush up the second syllable to make "Eurorail" sound like "Eurail". I can see how "Eurorail" would be negged....but I suppose you could argue that the clue was talking about the 1950s version of the pass - which, of course, would mean you'd have to figure out if it served at least 33 countries back then, AND if you could get some kind of super-VIP seat for $375. Given that on-the-fly research is possible, but difficult, I can see the generosity being allowed.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Missed Old School(I don't think this is the first time I said that.), Barnstorm, and Overstock.com.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: (Saturn), Eyepiece, Rye, Lavash, Laugh, and the World Laughs With You, Brooklyn Bridge, Bartholomew Dias, Overshoes, Hopper, Belgium
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I said Europass. Judges?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Instaget FJ. My daily commute takes me past the spot where Allende's Defense Minister, Orlando Letellier, was assassinated by a car bomb (also killed was his assistant, Ronni Moffitt) under the orders of the Pinochet regime.

I was supposed to be doing work that includes the SNL studios starting in May, but I'm guessing that's postponed for now.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Another for Condoleeza Rice although I could not tie her to Chile and the timing just seemed wrong. Had to write something though.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 am I said Europass. Judges?
Nope. Europass exists and is something completely different.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

Since the contestants were pointed toward WOMEN AUTHORS, am I wrong to think answering with a politician (or any other public figure that is not primarily known as a writer) is a deviation from/misinterpretation of the category? Isn't this akin to answering with a US president when the category is WORLD LEADERS?
I would prefer not to.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:38 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:12 am I said Europass. Judges?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jWGbvemTag
That's a Multipass. Duh.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bartleby wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:19 pm Since the contestants were pointed toward WOMEN AUTHORS, am I wrong to think answering with a politician (or any other public figure that is not primarily known as a writer) is a deviation from/misinterpretation of the category? Isn't this akin to answering with a US president when the category is WORLD LEADERS?
*shrug* Anyone who writes a memoir is an author, technically.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:02 pm
Bartleby wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 3:19 pm Since the contestants were pointed toward WOMEN AUTHORS, am I wrong to think answering with a politician (or any other public figure that is not primarily known as a writer) is a deviation from/misinterpretation of the category? Isn't this akin to answering with a US president when the category is WORLD LEADERS?
Yeah, of course. But practically, would the J! writers use a category like WOMEN AUTHORS if the answer were Hillary Clinton? Chicago is technically a world city but I don't think they'd ever write a question with it as the answer and pair it with WORLD CITIES as a category.
I would prefer not to.
davey

Post by davey »

Bartleby wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:13 pm
Yeah, of course. But practically, would the J! writers use a category like WOMEN AUTHORS if the answer were Hillary Clinton? Chicago is technically a world city but I don't think they'd ever write a question with it as the answer and pair it with WORLD CITIES as a category.
No, but you can't blame anyone for going with a public figure if they'd never heard of or didn't think of Ms. Allende. There are no other apt fiction writers I can think of, and the clue specifies a memoir. If gender wasn't specified, somebody could have plausibly guessed Henry Kissinger. He's written a lot of books, and he had a little something to do with Sept. 11, 1973...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

davey wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:58 pm
Bartleby wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 7:13 pm
No, but you can't blame anyone for going with a public figure if they'd never heard of or didn't think of Ms. Allende. There are no other apt fiction writers I can think of, and the clue specifies a memoir. If gender wasn't specified, somebody could have plausibly guessed Henry Kissinger. He's written a lot of books, and he had a little something to do with Sept. 11, 1973...
Bartleby has expressed my reaction to the reveal. I thought the clue was about either a World leader or the spouse thereof, OR a politician with a unique viewpoint and a good ghost writer. Once I saw all the :mrgreen:'s here, I gave up my beef. I wouldn't get it if you spotted me the first name.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:24 pm
True North wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:19 pm
bluejaylink wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:04 pm I had "Allende" but couldn't pull the first name in time. Judges?

Do I need a first name to distinguish her from her father, even though he wasn't a writer?
I can’t see why, since the category was Women Authors.
For poll purposes certainly check the box for Isabel, Isobel, Isabelle, etc. as long as you had Allende or similar spelling. If your response was just Allende with no first name that counts as well as long as you did not have Salvador in forgetting the category. If you missed with Gabriela Mistral then there is no saving you.
I spelled it "Isobel" because I once knew a girl who spelled it that way (*sniff*). Say, I wonder if she's on Facebook...