J! to Tape Without Live Audience

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: J! to Tape Without Live Audience

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:03 amAnd I know LA now has similar restrictions, including closing "entertainment venues" (goodbye, SONY Studios)...
The studios are considered workplaces, not "entertainment venues," which is more along the lines of theaters and nightclubs. (But many productions have shut down anyway, and, of course, many studio employees not directly affiliated with a production are working from home as best they can.)
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 pm I know that. I was just pointing out that they made a mistake with the days of the week.
You're really enthusiastic about this, and that's awesome. But — it's a really weird look to dispute primary sources. You should try rolling with the punches a little bit more.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by gameshowfandanny »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 am
gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:56 pm I know that. I was just pointing out that they made a mistake with the days of the week.
You're really enthusiastic about this, and that's awesome. But — it's a really weird look to dispute primary sources. You should try rolling with the punches a little bit more.
That's true. I'll try that. I also posted that because I have a deep interest in knowing when episodes were taped. Usually, I'm accurate with that.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 8:34 am
I think you guys are misunderstanding each other - the issue was that it said "Tuesday, March 23" and "Wednesday, March 24" when there are no such dates. Not a thing to care about in view of the world situation, but I am surprised that such a typo made it to the public press release.
gameshowfandanny

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:50 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:43 pm Just saw on Facebook the March 23/24 taping session has been canceled

Here is what was posted:

With the increasing concern surrounding COVID-19 and out of an abundance of caution, we have decided to temporarily suspend production on Jeopardy! and Wheel of Fortune. The health and well-being of our contestants, staff, and crew are our top priority, and we will continue to monitor the situation as it develops. Jeopardy! was scheduled to tape on Tuesday, March 23, and Wednesday, March 24, and we hope to be back in the studio soon for our scheduled March 31 and April 1 tapings.
I am assuming tomorrow and Wednesday's tapings are also canceled. There is a mistake: March 23 and 24 are Monday and Tuesday, not Tuesday and Wednesday. There is a possibility now that last week's tapings will have been the only tapings without a studio audience due to the coronavirus.
I was right. Today and Wednesday's tapings are canceled.
Source: The show's website.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Since everyone is so rightfully concerned about the spread of this dreaded disease, let me posit a modest proposal:

Call me. I'll drive the 2,500 miles to Culver City to take the airline danger out of the equation. I'll stand away from AT so as to reduce risk to him, I'll wear a Hazmat suit, and agree to play the game without two other contestants who could be at risk of infection if they stood as close as the next lectern.

Yeah, that's the ticket. Me, AT, the buzzer, no opponents. Essentially no risk of disease or of losing. I'm willing to make the sacrifice for the sake of the nation's health.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Sorry, John Boy, I already called dibs.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:15 pm Sorry, John Boy, I already called dibs.
Now, now: there's well over six feet between podiums 1 and 3.

The bad news is that Watson will be at podium 2.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 12:02 am
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 8:15 pm Sorry, John Boy, I already called dibs.
Now, now: there's well over six feet between podiums 1 and 3.

The bad news is that Watson will be at podium 2.
I would think it's pretty close to 6 feet from mid-podium 1 to mid-podium 3...how big are those things?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If no more episodes are taped, when would the last one air?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:05 am If no more episodes are taped, when would the last one air?
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=5616&start=20#p329352
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:48 pm
Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:06 pm So what week was the most recent tape date supposed to air, if anyone knows?
The week of Memorial Day. Tomorrow and Wednesday's tapings are for June 1-5 and June 8-12, respectively. March 31 and April 1 are for June 15-19 and June 22-26. April 6 and 7 are for June 29-July 3 and July 6-10, and April 13 and 14 are for July 13-17 and July 20-24 (season finale week). So there are four weeks of taping left.
If tapings are suspended indefinitely and lockdowns don't get lifted until late summer, then perhaps Season 36 gets shortened; and taping will begin for Season 37. But who knows?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I'm guessing Season 36's goose is cooked and Season 37 will start late if at all.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

So if last week’s session was canceled and nothing else is done, that ends the season on May 29.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 4:35 pm I'm guessing Season 36's goose is cooked and Season 37 will start late if at all.
If at all? You think this is the end of the world?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I think this will be impacting Hollywood and most industries for 18 months conservatively, unless summer miraculously does in the virus like the President predicted a few weeks ago.

But what I meant by "if at all" was that Alex and/or Johnny could retire or worse, due to coronavirus or otherwise. So Season 37 wouldn't really be the same Jeopardy! that's in the can for us to watch over the next few months.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How exactly is an episode sent out to affiliates? Will someone be able to go to the studio to do whatever it takes to send it out?

I wonder what kind of reruns they will show if the season ends early.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 pm How exactly is an episode sent out to affiliates? Will someone be able to go to the studio to do whatever it takes to send it out?
Shouldn't there be an app for that?
Well, it certainly gives TPTB a lot more flexibilty than the simple three 2-week tourneys we're used to. I suspect we'll see the All-Star Teams among other things.

As this thing drags on, I wonder what affect it might have on local affiliate ad revenue and if some may balk on continuing to carry J!
OCSam
gameshowfandanny

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:22 pm How exactly is an episode sent out to affiliates? Will someone be able to go to the studio to do whatever it takes to send it out?
Shouldn't there be an app for that?
Well, it certainly gives TPTB a lot more flexibilty than the simple three 2-week tourneys we're used to. I suspect we'll see the All-Star Teams among other things.

As this thing drags on, I wonder what affect it might have on local affiliate ad revenue and if some may balk on continuing to carry J!
I’d like to see the All-Star Games and some Holzhauer episodes. In response to Bamaman’s question, episodes are sent through digital files (I won’t say which due to piracy) the weekday before the episode airs, so Monday episodes are sent between Friday-Sunday.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

OrangeSAM wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:35 pm if some may balk on continuing to carry J!
The vast majority of Jeopardy! fans are not superfans like us and will watch (and enjoy) any Jeopardy! they can get. Any station dropping J! would face massive negative local public opinion right now.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan