Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1970s SITCOMS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A warning on early episodes said this show "seeks to throw a humorous spotlight on our frailties, prejudices and concerns"

Michonne Omo: 17800+7800=25600
Kimberly Flynn: 16400+16400=32800 (New Champ)
Vikram Prasad: 7800-7000=800

Correct response:
Spoiler
All in the Family (Vikram – Fawlty Towers)

Daily Doubles
Vikram: 5200-3000
Kimberly: 4200-1000
Kimberly: 6000+2000

Coryats
Michonne: 17800
Kimberly: 17000
Vikram: 10800

Combined: 45,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Michonne: 4600
Kimberly: 3400
Vikram: 2600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex announced the College Championship in two weeks, so April 6th as expected.

At DD1 on clue 17 Vikram led 5200 to 1800 to 600. After his 3000 miss it was worse than the wind out of his sails as he was only up to 2600 by the end of the round, 3000 at DD2, 3000 at DD3 and after clue 27 of the DJ! round still 3000. It was only sweeping clues 28-30 to close out the DJ! round that Vikram reached his 7800.

When Alex revealed the FJ! category of 1970s SITCOMS he went to his standard comment, "You're all too young." When I heard that I took offense from home and told myself I would have bet it all regardless off the scoreboard just to show him. Kimberly had the same reaction? Or perhaps she was a holdover from the previous taping day and saw that Michonne did 14000+7000 against 13400 on the Friday game?

The clue could have crossed out all but "prejudices" and it's still 66% solvable as played today. The warning is not something I recognized from original airings or reruns (I've see fewer than 10 episodes), but rings a bell from the recent Lear/Kimmel live productions on ABC that they must have mentioned.

Just another day at the office for some while for me to sweep the $2000 clues means the board must have been easier than normal as I rarely get a 41,000 Coryat in regular play.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

What Vikram mentioned when chatting with Alex: https://www.postandcourier.com/news/mar ... 78e2d.html
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 am Or perhaps she was a holdover from the previous taping day and saw that Michonne did 14000+7000 against 13400 on the Friday game?
I would really, really like this to be true. But we all know it's extremely doubtful. Arthur Chu did force a 2nd place contestant with some game theory sense to wager everything in hopes of a tie. Which I thought was brilliant. There have been plenty of contestants where I would wager everything from 2nd place based solely on their game play that day in combination with contestant type and job.

If one is playing a drinking game where you have to drink after a poor wager, you will not be in good shape tomorrow morning. :lol:
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 am
The clue could have crossed out all but "prejudices" and it's still 66% solvable as played today. The warning is not something I recognized from original airings or reruns (I've see fewer than 10 episodes), but rings a bell from the recent Lear/Kimmel live productions on ABC that they must have mentioned.
Spotted just that, I would have said "Archie Bunker". "Show" would have had to be included too :lol:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 12:14 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:03 am
Spotted just that, I would have said "Archie Bunker". "Show" would have had to be included too :lol:
A character is possible even with the category name while with the category name and "prejudices" I stand by the clue quite solvable as is. Try it on somebody who won't watch or care about seeing J! later and see what happens.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

Hi all - Nick here. I'll be on tomorrow's episode and just wanted to check in. Looking forward to finally seeing our taping group's episodes air this week!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

With the category “1970s Sitcoms”, I am betting it all. I am taking money out of my wallet and throwing it on the podium. I am passing the collection plate to let the audience in on the action.

After suffering through a number of recent TV categories with shows I have never seen or even heard of, this was right up my alley. Too young for this? Suck it, millennials.

I had this before Alex was done reading. I have seen the warning on retrospectives about the show.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I guess this warning only ran the first time each episode aired? With Sesame Street it was the other way; the 40th anniversary DVDs bore the warning that some material may be unsuitable for young children. Too late for me.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Don't know how often this happens to others, but my local station aired five minutes of commericals (during which they must've been scrambling to find an old episode to air), and then broadcast the one where Sue Grafton was the the subject of the FJ. I wuz robbed!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

$35,600 sets a new Coryat record for me.

Ran Anagrammed Reptiles, Ends in Ash, and It's How You Win.

Despite this, I thought "Barrel of Monkeys" was a bit tricky for the top box, especially with Monopoly at $600.

Gulfstream was my only NHOI/miss in Fancy.

Precalled Mackinac Bridge in Bridges and Oscar the Grouch in Oscars. Got all but $2,000 in both categories.

Red Line felt very YEKIOYD. I could've taken 400 guesses on $400 and never gotten "rose".

Thankfully "the one with the racist guy" was enough for me to pull the title All in the Family from the deepest recesses of my brain. Not my easiest or prettiest get, but a good end for quite possibly my best game ever.

Lach Trash: lobster, calabash. Also got the VT/NY DD.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Curious wager from first! Of course, I’m not typing this on a triple wipeout, but....
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

So Michonne went into FJ with the lead, got FJ right, and lost. I could spend a week criticizing that wager, but why bother? The result speaks for itself.

Instaget FJ. We're all too young? Shush, Alex, there's this thing called reruns.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Presidential briefings weren't content to pre-empt The Price is Right, now they've started preempting Jeopardy, too. Ugh.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $45,800 (54R, 0W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

I was a calabash away from sweeping round 1. DJ was almost as good. I don’t know if it’s a record for me, but it’s definitely top 3.

Alex had not even finished the first line in the FJ clue before I answered.

As soon as I saw Kimberly’s wager, I was 99% sure she’d won after watching the champ underbet on Friday. Nice payday.

I swear, every time I come up with a new anecdote for my application, someone steals it on the show. It’s happened a half-dozen times this year. Today it was Kimberly’s hatred of camping.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $43,000 (50R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Count me as part of the group that had a relatively easy time with these boards. The Red category was the toughest one for me (2/5).

My petty gripe of the night: Vikram responding before he was called on was starting to irritate me.

Michonne consistently wagering insufficiently to cover 2nd place finally caught up with her. Congrats to Kimberley for getting it done!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hugo Z wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:30 pm Don't know how often this happens to others, but my local station aired five minutes of commericals (during which they must've been scrambling to find an old episode to air), and then broadcast the one where Sue Grafton was the the subject of the FJ. I wuz robbed!
Hmmmmm. That's the episode that was aired last Saturday (a repeat of a much earlier game).
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 pm So Michonne went into FJ with the lead, got FJ right, and lost. I could spend a week criticizing that wager, but why bother? The result speaks for itself.
And yet, it happens so rarely that we're allowed to scream WTF!!! I was ready to scold Kimberly for underbetting on her Daily Doubles and going into Final behind the lead, but she got lucky. This time.

Vikram was so strong coming out of the gate, crashed on the Nelson DD, and then faded away until the very end, picking up the last 3 clues in Spanish History. Not really sure why they avoided that category (finite subject) in favor of that red line poetry nightmare.

Mille Bornes. Nope, I don't know her.

Pre-call list for FJ: Three's Company, All in the Family
Last edited by morbeedo on Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.