Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, March 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 pm So Michonne went into FJ with the lead, got FJ right, and lost. I could spend a week criticizing that wager, but why bother? The result speaks for itself.

Instaget FJ. We're all too young? Shush, Alex, there's this thing called reruns.
Don't get that. We're all too young to remember Thomas Jefferson's presidency, and yet they still manage to slip him in there from time to time, and some of us actually answer correctly. I once heard an old trivia vet say "there's no such thing as 'before my time' to a real trivia buff."
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

John Boy wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:30 pm
Don't get that. We're all too young to remember Thomas Jefferson's presidency, and yet they still manage to slip him in there from time to time, and some of us actually answer correctly. I once heard an old trivia vet say "there's no such thing as 'before my time' to a real trivia buff."
There's only "after my time".
I'm smart and I want respect.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Add me as one who was pretty sure Kimberly would win based on Friday’s wager. Vibram seemed a bit miffed after the missed DD. And if the contestants knew about Milles Barnes, they’d probably know about 70’s tv shows.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

I also set personal records with $43,600 and a total of 51 right, including Final. The only other time I hit 50 right in a regular game was cbec's first game in 2016. I think the quarantine is making us smarter!
Hoping for a third lap
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

How is Lobster Thermidor a TS? I've heard of it and I live a thousand miles from the ocean. :o
:( :( :D on the DDs, matching the contestants in the misses .
Fawlty Towers in the '70s? Monty Python would've been a better guess. :shock:
FJ was pure WECIB. :mrgreen:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:07 pm So Michonne went into FJ with the lead, got FJ right, and lost. I could spend a week criticizing that wager, but why bother? The result speaks for itself.
Don't mention the wager!
(Yeah, yeah, wrong contestant. Don't care.)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

morbeedo wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote: So Michonne went into FJ with the lead, got FJ right, and lost. I could spend a week criticizing that wager, but why bother? The result speaks for itself.
And yet, it happens so rarely that we're allowed to scream WTF!!! I was ready to scold Kimberly for underbetting on her Daily Doubles and going into Final behind the lead, but she got lucky. This time.
The irony of it is that Michonne would not even be playing this Monday game if she had used proper FJ strategy on the Friday episode.
And if Kimberly made a wise final wager, Michonne's total would have been plenty enough to win again. It looks like Michonne was only thinking about leaving herself with an even $10K if she got it wrong. Trouble is, that almost certainly would be less than what Kimberlyshould have left (neg) with a smart wager.
I had Kimberly pegged for either 799 (shortagey) or 3599 to out last a singleton from Vikram if he bets to to stay above Michonne's MSBIW on a TS.
That leaves Michonnne with the option to try 2200, if she really hates the category and isn't concerned about Kimberly or Vikram doubling.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

This talk about the "too young" comment reminds me of the time in my workplace that several of us were incredulous when a know-it-all coworker wasn't familiar with the book "1984." Her explanation: "Do you know how old I was in 1984?" (seven) Never mind that the book was written in 1948, and never mind that she seemed to know plenty about the Bible, and that was 2000 years ago.

By the way, this was the instaget of instagets for me; I'm NOT to young at 55 to have watched this in first run, and numerous times in re-runs. While I don't remember seeing the warning per se, I do remember reading about it. Funny thing is, from what I understand, there were people who missed the point and commended Archie for telling it like it was, or so they thought.
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

How often does the leader A) fail to make a cover wager, and B) get FJ right and still lose because of said wager?
I guess the follow up question is how often does 2nd place actually go for the double?
Can't be that often, right?
Now swimming in the J! pool.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Here in the Joplin MO market, we didn't get to see the Final Jeopardy about a bigot, but we did get to see one give a Press briefing. They cut away after the interviews. I expected to come to the board and see Vikram dominated the back end, but it sounds like Admiral Nelson was his Waterloo (I think Nelson took the airports at that battle, lol).

Karma for Michonne and not defending the double-up. I didn't see enough of the game to get smarter, but was able to skip the presser meant to make me dumber :). FWIW, I live 1500 miles from an ocean and couldn't pull Lobster from the thermidor TOM, but I do recognize the term.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

DBear wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 pm
...Fawlty Towers in the '70s? Monty Python would've been a better guess. :shock: ...
?? Fawlty Towers was aired first-run from 1975-1979. It's true I suppose, MP would have been more likely to have an audience advisory... but I'm not sure what "concerns" either Cleese show ever addressed. The sale of dead animals? Persecution of immigrants?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote:How is Lobster Thermidor a TS? I've heard of it and I live a thousand miles from the ocean
Despite living in Maine for a third of my life, I absoluely NHO Lobster Thermidor but the bit about the meat being "removed from the tail" was enough of a clue for me to accurately guess 'Lobster'.
mas3cf wrote: My petty gripe of the night: Vikram responding before he was called on was starting to irritate me.
X2 That's (repeat offender) always grounds for me to root against a contestant.
buckeyebrain
Valued Contributor

Post by buckeyebrain »

Michonne's FJ wager made this a moot point, but the captioning for the Stephen Crane clue in DJ said "Red *BAND* Of Courage" and I was waiting for a reversal.

Was this a caption blunder or did Michonne really say band?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:41 pm
DBear wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:29 pm
...Fawlty Towers in the '70s? Monty Python would've been a better guess. :shock: ...
?? Fawlty Towers was aired first-run from 1975-1979. It's true I suppose, MP would have been more likely to have an audience advisory... but I'm not sure what "concerns" either Cleese show ever addressed. The sale of dead animals? Persecution of immigrants?
I actually thought "Fawlty Towers" wasn't a bad guess at all.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

buckeyebrain wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:08 am Michonne's FJ wager made this a moot point, but the captioning for the Stephen Crane clue in DJ said "Red *BAND* Of Courage" and I was waiting for a reversal.

Was this a caption blunder or did Michonne really say band?
I heard her clearly say “badge”.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
davey wrote:
DBear wrote:
I actually thought "Fawlty Towers" wasn't a bad guess at all.
After giving it some thought, another reasonable guess would have been "Barney Miller".
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

For FJ!, I've never seen the warning myself, but I actually knew that fact cold. If you gave me a list of 10 TV shows and had me identify which one(s) had warnings at the beginning of them, I'm choosing "All In The Family" as the first easy one, every day - unless "Ellen" (not "The Ellen DeGeneres Show") and "South Park" are in there, too. For some reason, my brain went to "Archie Bunker's Place" before warming up and getting the right sitcom. It's a fairly topical FJ!, given that in 2019, they've redone 4 episodes of Norman Lear live - so, take that, boomer! Gen X on the cuspy side of millenial here, so I'm still too young for the original, but it was in reruns all the time in my childhood.

$25,600 of virtual cash down the drain at the leftmost lectern....and the producers supposedly remind the contestants that it's funny money. *sigh* Can we change all the category values from "dollars" to "points" (ala GOAT, which they referenced frequently to great comedic effect), and then award the winner their points in dollars? Any psychological trick to get contestants thinking about their wagers strategically, please!

I fell for the same trap as Vikram with the Pride and Prejudice/Sense and Sensibility clue. In our defense, Emma Thompson DID aid in script development with Pride and Prejudice, but it was uncredited.

Fashion designer "Oscar..." from the Dominican Republic for a bottom row clue? I am pretty awful at fashion, and the picture didn't help at all, but it seemed like a gimmie, so I buzzed and collected, being very careful not to slip up and say "Hoya". Same with "Oscar + butcher" for a DD - difficulty didn't seem to be there. I guess there are only so many Oscars out there.

I will never understand what makes my brain turn "on" for anagram clues, and what makes it turn "off". Today was "on". Maybe the pacing of the editing helped?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I have a series of beefs about tonight's game :

* why did they accept Annapolis when the clue asked for the name of a military academy? How is that any better than someone answering Portugal when asked for a language?
* why did they need to use that photo of Nancy Reagan after she was wizened? Couldn't they find a photo of her with Oscar d from when she was first lady?
* why are they always giving Whitney Houston credit for I will always love you instead of its composer, Dolly Parton?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 am I have a series of beefs about tonight's game :

* why did they accept Annapolis when the clue asked for the name of a military academy?
For the same reason they would accept West Point -- it's a perfectly acceptable alternate name.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 46,400
55 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: lobster, Gulfstream, Horatio Nelson (DD), New York & Vermont (DD), Florida

It is shocking how rarely we see a FJ! triple-get. I thought for sure this one would do it.

Was anyone else thrown off for a moment by the fact that Anagrammed Reptiles $800 didn't have a colon before the anagram? In a similar vein, I don't think It Defines Me $1200 belonged in that category. All of the other clues gave definitions of words, but that one just asked which orchestra section the trumpet belongs to.

That last DD was bologna.

I should have had a $50K Coryat, but a Sporcle quiz I took over the weekend mixed me up between a turkey's snood and its wattle. Fie!
floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:54 am * why are they always giving Whitney Houston credit for I will always love you instead of its composer, Dolly Parton?
For the same reason people give Aretha Franklin credit for "Respect" rather than Otis Redding. Whitney's rendition of the song became one of the longest-reigning Billboard #1's of all time, and it is more or less the sole reason why The Bodyguard is the best-selling movie soundtrack of all time.
Sprinkles are for winners.