Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN POETS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This New York woman died in 1887, the year after the subject of her most famous poem was unveiled

Kimberly Flynn: 4800-4800=0
Lindsay Evans: 11400-1801=9599
Nick Klotz: 15400+7401=22801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Emma Lazarus (Kimberly – Eliz. Barrett) (Lindsay – Emily Dickinson)

Daily Doubles
Lindsay: 1400-1400
Lindsay: 7600+2000
Lindsay: 12400-3000

Coryats
Kimberly: 4800
Lindsay: 14600
Nick: 15400

Combined: 34,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Kimberly: 1200
Lindsay: 3200
Nick: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Congratulations Nick and well done.

Lindsay played all the DDs though 1/3 on them left her trailing for the FJ! round. It did not matter what she did with them as Nick with the sole solve of the FJ! clue was going to win the game.

Kimberly could not get it going today as sometimes the quick turnaround from winning a bunch of money to being right back up there is a tough adjustment.

The FJ! category had me try five precalls: Frost, Cummings, Plath, Ginsberg and Poe. I considered adding Sandburg and stopped in figuring five was enough and there were plenty more that are fair game for the FJ! round.

The FJ! clue gave me no detours for a quick solve to put the pen down. Ouch for anyone that knows who it is and where to find the famous work, yet could not recall the name in time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Two interesting posts from Nick's board history:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2907&p=172874#p172874
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2842&p=167344#p167344

Don't worry, Nick, neither one is your negative reaction to a prior J! champ.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Congrats, Nick! Our Chicago J! broadcast was interrupted by news conferences, but you looked great during the part we saw!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:22 pm Two interesting posts from Nick's board history:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2907&p=172874#p172874
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2842&p=167344#p167344

Don't worry, Nick, neither one is your negative reaction to a prior J! champ.
Too bad I wasn’t on yesterday’s show based on my response to the second thread you linked.

Nothing against Nick, but if I had been a stage hand privy to the wagers, I would have been hoping for a sole solve by Kimberly.

That being said, congratulations to Nick on his win. You said science was a weak spot, but you seemed to know your bones. Retro good luck tomorrow.

My first thought was Dickinson but quickly switched to the right lady after I figured out what the subject of her poem was.
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

Nick won, so it's a non-issue in the progress of the games, but let's note:
Spoiler
The Elgin Marbles were in fact wrapped for shipment to England in the 19th century.
Had he lost by $3,200 or less, or had he been able to claim that an incorrect negging left him wounded for the rest of the game, I wonder whether he could have argued successfully for the correctness of his answer?
Spoiler
After all, "this item" suggests not a genre of items, but a specific item. Read that way, the clue would indeed suggest "Elgin Marbles" -- a specific thing sent from Egypt to England -- rather than one of who knows how many mummies that may have been sent? As far as I know, the Elgin Marbles were sent only in the 19th century, while mummies have been sent from Egypt to England in several centuries.
Anyway, congratulations to Nick for a good answer, whether or not it was a correct (or even the only correct) answer!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I precalled the car I won on Wheel of Fortune in Car "Ma".

Ran What an Idiom, all but rainforest in Geographical.

Jamestown is one of those generic names that always escapes my brain when I need it.

Bizarrely, $2,000 was my only get in "CH" Squared. Can't say I recognize $1,200 or $1,600 at all.

Female poet, New York, something unveiled? No way that can't be Lazarus.

Lach Trash: brilliant, hit the nail on the head, promotion. Also got the "slapstick" DD.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

That Final should've been a triple get... it's not as if they haven't asked about Emma Lazarus/"The New Colossus" in Final many times before
1stlvlthinker

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Nice work Nick. I think we were at the same audition last November in MKE (but I can't be sure since I was pretty much just focused on trying not to suck).

I knew who they were talking about in FJ, but I got as far as "Emma somebody". I just didn't remember the last name.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Enjoyable game on the whole.. Congrats Nick! Nice work nailing the Pavlovs too (Lazarus, Pagliacci).

Instaget FJ.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

threearruda wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:13 pm Enjoyable game on the whole.. Congrats Nick! Nice work nailing the Pavlovs too (Lazarus, Pagliacci).

Instaget FJ.
I call the easy ones, like tonight and Monday, as white horse of Napoleon clues. We often put the show on hold and discuss possible answers, not this one. Alex was still reading when I answered. Last weeks Phillipines created quite a discussion.
nklotz
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nklotz »

Xu Donym wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:26 pm Nick won, so it's a non-issue in the progress of the games, but let's note:
Spoiler
The Elgin Marbles were in fact wrapped for shipment to England in the 19th century.
Had he lost by $3,200 or less, or had he been able to claim that an incorrect negging left him wounded for the rest of the game, I wonder whether he could have argued successfully for the correctness of his answer?
Spoiler
After all, "this item" suggests not a genre of items, but a specific item. Read that way, the clue would indeed suggest "Elgin Marbles" -- a specific thing sent from Egypt to England -- rather than one of who knows how many mummies that may have been sent? As far as I know, the Elgin Marbles were sent only in the 19th century, while mummies have been sent from Egypt to England in several centuries.
Anyway, congratulations to Nick for a good answer, whether or not it was a correct (or even the only correct) answer!
I’m getting *a lot* of crap for this answer so this makes me feel better, even though in retrospect “mummy” was very obvious. My brain was in Pavlov mode and keyed in on “Stolen Egyptian Relic” ir however it was worded.
Last edited by nklotz on Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

At least Lindsay had the right logic for the FJ wager. Math, eh....
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Whenever I see "Emma Lazarus", I always think of "Momma", by Mell Lazarus. I used to identify with Francis before I got old.

Who knew that the statue used to wear a veil?
Last edited by Lefty on Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Count me as another :o that FJ wasn't a triget. :mrgreen:
:( :( :D on the DDs. Guessed Jules Verne on the first. :?
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Puzzled by this since the Elgin marbles were taken from the Parthenon in Greece.

Xu Donym wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 7:26 pm Nick won, so it's a non-issue in the progress of the games, but let's note:
Spoiler
Spoiler
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nklotz wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:46 pm I’m getting *a lot* of crap for this answer so this makes me feel better, even though in retrospect “mummy” was very obvious.
Screw that, you're a Jeopardy Champion!
davey

Post by davey »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:58 pm Puzzled by this since the Elgin marbles were taken from the Parthenon in Greece
Yes. Also the category was about types of parties. Mummy unwrapping parties were a thing in 19th C Britain...
https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/v ... es-for-fun
I disagree with Alex about one FJ guess. Emily Dickinson a New York woman??