Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 24, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $39,200 (45R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Didn't feel like I had a $39k night, but the numbers don't lie, I guess.

Congrats Nick on the sole solve and the victory!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Congrats, Nick, and good retroluck tomorrow!

FJ! had me literally thinking until the BOM-BOM. I immediately went to the Statue of Liberty. Oh, that poem. Who wrote it? I forget. What's the name of it? Uh...Lazarus Awakes? But who? Who wrote it? Frustrated, I typed in "Who is Lazarus?" in my spreadsheet. A get is a get is a get. Did NOT know the first name, so Nick beat me there.

Sometimes, overthinking is bad. For the "shiny and smart, 9 letters", I had "scintillating", but was able to quickly see that it overshot the 9-letter limit. Guess I wasn't bri-lli-ant enough.

The Halle Berry clue made me do a double-take, because I swear I'd just seen it. Well, no - saw it on my Netflix J! binge earlier this week, from 3 years ago, and it was virtually the same clue:

AFRICAN-AMERICAN PERFORMERS $400: In 2002 she won an Oscar for "Monster's Ball"

LOOKS AREN'T EVERYTHING, BUT... $1000: She was Miss Teen Ohio & Miss Ohio USA before winning an Oscar for "Monster's Ball"

They've done this same clue - who's the female lead in Monster's Ball? - 7 times in the Archive. The other notable is that she was the first African-American woman to win the Oscar for Best Actress.

I think it's the second time recently that I've seen a clue recycled practically directly from a current Netflix episode, so I guess the period of J! clues is approximately 3 years.

Best wrong response award goes not to the Elgin Marbles, but to...toes. Because that's the exact type of flub I know I'd make if I were on the show - something I know cold, but just comes out wrong.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm usually on your side, writers, but this?...
Of 500 colonists in this first English settlement in N. America in fall 1609, fewer than 1/5 would survive the coming winter
Well? WELL??!
I dare you to justify that Virginia location.

Managed to mentally name every -other- Watchmen character...and I probably would've skipped Roarchach since it ends in /k/

Instafinal
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

From one Nick to another, Congratulations! Very well played my dude.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Only Rorshach I ever heard of was in Mr. Kotter's class. :)
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 38,000
47 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Joseph Heller (DD), Maybach, brilliant, xenon, promotion/rank advancement, chicharrones, slapstick (DD)

Well done, Nick!

One of these days I need to learn how to differentiate between Viola Davis and Octavia Spencer. I also blanked out on the last name of Ton Hanks's pirate-fighting captain.
Sprinkles are for winners.
OldSchoolChamp

Post by OldSchoolChamp »

Did anyone else notice this?
Kimberly Flynn: 4800-4800=0
Lindsay Evans: 11400-1801=9599
Nick Klotz: 15400+7401=22801 (New Champ)
Surely Lindsay meant to bet 1799, preserving a residue of 9601 in case of a miss and keeping Kimberly shut out if she doubles up to 9600. That would be a pretty shrewd wager (though it opens the door to a Shoretegic stand-pat by Nick, if only he could anticipate it). But she mistakenly added an extra dollar to her wager instead of subtracting it. This would have been painful in the event of a sole get by Kimberly.
We shall not cease from exploration,
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Coryat: $37,800 (43R, 1W)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:

Nice going, Nick! How nervous were you when you saw the FJ category? I know I cringed when I saw it on my couch :lol:

Only slip-up was zirconia for Shiny Things $200 :oops:
DanKirshner
Contributor

Post by DanKirshner »

Poetry is easily one of my worst categories. And I thought final was obvious. I was surprised it wasn't a triple get.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

OldSchoolChamp wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 4:50 am Did anyone else notice this?
Kimberly Flynn: 4800-4800=0
Lindsay Evans: 11400-1801=9599
Nick Klotz: 15400+7401=22801 (New Champ)
Surely Lindsay meant to bet 1799, preserving a residue of 9601 in case of a miss and keeping Kimberly shut out if she doubles up to 9600. That would be a pretty shrewd wager (though it opens the door to a Shoretegic stand-pat by Nick, if only he could anticipate it). But she mistakenly added an extra dollar to her wager instead of subtracting it. This would have been painful in the event of a sole get by Kimberly.
Here's what would be fun: Kimberly holds back a dollar and has the sole get. We all want another tiebreaker clue!

They must have 3 or 4 tiebreaker clues prepared in a virtual "vault" (selecting a clue on the fly from "next week's game" would be tough from an S&P standpoint), but I wonder how often they refresh the bank in order to use one of the clues. The only regular game tie-breaker was one that was a current event clue, and was probably about 4-6 months "old" at the time of the taping, but could have easily been part of a broader category on a J! or DJ! board:

#7709, aired 2018-03-01 WAY BACK IN 2017 (Tiebreaker clue): Her April decision to call a snap parliamentary election proved less than brilliant on June 8

It was actually a semi-poorly paired clue, as FJ! was a UK geography clue. I know they take great pains to balance the boards, and having FJ! and the tiebreaker being based in the UK isn't exactly ideal.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:50 pm Whenever I see "Emma Lazarus", I always think of "Momma", by Mell Lazarus. I used to identify with Francis before I got old.
I miss that strip too.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 12:29 am Only Rorshach I ever heard of was in Mr. Kotter's class. :)
I believe that was Horshach ( or however its' spelled, rhymes exactly the Rorshach).

Kotter in one episode (and I paraphrase): "Kid's name is Horshach. Guess what all his classmates were calling him by the third grade. (laugh track) By the fourth grade the teachers were calling him that too."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

John Boy wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 1:46 pm Kotter in one episode (and I paraphrase): "Kid's name is Horshach. Guess what all his classmates were calling him by the third grade. (laugh track) By the fourth grade the teachers were calling him that too."
As someone with the last name Peacock, I can totally relate.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

"I'm Arnold Horshack, the last."

["Why the last, Horshack?"]

" 'cause, when dey made me, dey broke da mold."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

In "CH" SQUARED $2,000, I responded "cherche la femme" instead of "cherchez" (so "shairsh" instead of "shair-shay"), but that should be fine since the imperative of chercher has a few conjugations, cherche being the one you'd use when speaking to someone you'd call tu, and the clue didn't pin it to cherchez. Plus Alex speaks French, and I think he'd have the presence of mind to recognize that my response satisfied the clue without tossing it to my opponents.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

How the hell did I know "cherchez la femme" but not "chicharrones" or Ichabod Crane being a schoolteacher?

Rorschach seemed way too obscure for anyone else save for the comic nerds.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 5:16 pm How the hell did I know "cherchez la femme" but not "chicharrones" or Ichabod Crane being a schoolteacher?

Rorschach seemed way too obscure for anyone else save for the comic nerds.
They were probably counting on the current Watchmen TV show to bump recognition which is a favorite tactic of theirs.
(Haven't seen it, not sure how big a role Rorschach plays in it so I might be off the mark here)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

WHAT AN IDIOM! for $200: "It doesn't affect me adversely, so it's "No skin" from here".
Accepted response: "off my nose".
My response: "off my back".

I assume this is just a regional difference?
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

heppm01 wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 7:22 pm WHAT AN IDIOM! for $200: "It doesn't affect me adversely, so it's "No skin" from here".
Accepted response: "off my nose".
My response: "off my back".

I assume this is just a regional difference?
I'd think so. I'd also imagine that "commissioning" would be an acceptable alternative response for "promotion".
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I also said back.