Friday, March 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, March 27, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

thenextofken wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:13 pm The chain is actually called "General Nutrition Center" while Matt said "Nutritional." I was surprised they didn't change his score.
The clue has "Centers" and Wikipedia agrees. I heard "Nutrition" by Matt and the CC agrees for how I archived it. We'll see if another post wants to break the tie.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm
thenextofken wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:13 pm The chain is actually called "General Nutrition Center" while Matt said "Nutritional." I was surprised they didn't change his score.
The clue has "Centers" and Wikipedia agrees. I heard "Nutrition" by Matt and the CC agrees for how I archived it. We'll see if another post wants to break the tie.
I'm with you, Mark. He just said "Nutrition".
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:20 pm
It's a pluralizing s in the clue, which many style guides indicate should go inside the quotation marks. For instance:
There are still more than 1000 "General Nutrition Centers" in malls across the country.
The clue is not maintaining that the chain is called "General Nutrition Centers".
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Sad to see Susan go, as she grew on me quickly in her second game. Her FJ wagering situation wasn't quite what I wanted it to be to shed light on her unorthadox bet for Thursday's Final. She did, however, make the absolute necessary all-in bet this time, which would have won her the game with a singleton.

I liked Matt until he insisted on calling every clue by its long mouthful category as time was running out and Susan was in danger of finishing in the red. Then he screwed the pooch with his final wager, so it was a fitting end for him.
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

The clue is not maintaining that the chain is called "General Nutrition Centers".
My question wasn't whether he said "Center" or Centers". My question was whether he said "Nutrition" or "Nutritional," and I've been overruled.
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Golf wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:26 am In early with popcorn!

Would love to know where the total Coryat ranks all time.
This game felt familiar, Coryat-wise...
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5910

if that's any indication, I think this champ has legs! ;)
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Talked myself out a perfecto by switching to Ike in FJ. :x
:D :( :D on DDs. Also fell for the Santa Fe distractor.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Atchison, Topeka, and Santa Fe always jumped out to me as a weird name for a railroad because Atchison is a considerably smaller and more obscure town than Topeka or Santa Fe.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

It's a chestnut that FDR was the first president to appear on television, so I figured he must be the trap response and went one president later. $6,400 in Lach Trash means I win from the fourth podium.

ORDINAL TERMS $200 named two women whose husbands were VPs before becoming presidents, so Second Lady would have gotten credit there too (if not immediately).
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

For FJ!, I figured TV wasn't a household item until the VERY late 40s, at earliest. Thought it would be past FDR, and even if FDR had been around for when TV really penetrated the market, they probably would have minimized his media exposure due to his "secret" wheelchair. Ike felt too late, and Truman had 8 years where he could deliver it, so...yeah, Truman.

Sometimes, bad games are bad. Sometimes, they're so bad that they go full circle, and become good. Lots of gems in there, especially from the two DJ! DDs:

Alex: No, Sacremento is the state (with the church).
Khalilah: Oh, God.
Alex: Yes, he's there too.
Khalilah (upon revealing the second DD next): This is a disaster.

I'll admit, I lapped up a lot of TSs from rebounding. "Gene"? Nope....that's the portion that encodes a protein, but DNA is the whole thing with the double helical structure. Brain stalling on Julius Caesar? Fine, have TWO contestants spot me with "Veni vidi", and I will easily supply the "vici".

Got the "fingerprints" clue right probably because of a FJ! earlier this season (or last season perhaps in repeats?) about fingerprint "technology" in the late 1800s.

Sneaky on Matt for blitzing Khalilah by switching to the ordinal category - as soon as I saw that category at the top of the show, I reminded myself that "ordinals mean order - first, second third". Came in handy as I counted "fourth, FIFTH avenue", and didn't even consider Nordstrom for not fitting the category.

Assimilation as a bottom row clue? M'kay.

And confessional time - I, too, mistook Val Kilmer for Joyce Kilmer.

It's a low bar, but with $4,800 from the fourth podium and a FJ! solve, I would have won.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 pm For FJ!, I figured TV wasn't a household item until the VERY late 40s, at earliest. Thought it would be past FDR, and even if FDR had been around for when TV really penetrated the market, they probably would have minimized his media exposure due to his "secret" wheelchair. Ike felt too late, and Truman had 8 years where he could deliver it, so...yeah, Truman.
So how many of us knew this cold without having to reason it out?
talkingaway wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:58 pmNo, Sacremento is the state
I heard "Sacrament" and still couldn't make the connection to Sacramento, CA. Not one of my worst "can't see the forest for the trees" moments, but definitely up there.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Khalilah certainly brought some entertainment to an otherwise pretty ugly day!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

NYCScribbler wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:35 pm I am now a Khalilah fangirl. Sometimes people forget that this is a game and can be fun even whilst being competitive. I can only imagine how much editing they tried to do with her energy. (I speak from experience, having had a sotto voce comment cut out while the laughter remained.)
I found Khalilah endearing as well.

Good to see you back on JBoard, Rebecca. Hope you're doing OK, all things considered.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

What an abysmal game. I predict that kelilah will be forgotten before the first commercial break on Monday and one or more of the challengers will emerge as the favourite.

Nordstrom was founded in Seattle and didn't open its first store in New York until rather recently. Not to mention it isn't an ordinal. Some of the other wrong responses today just sucked. I can't think of a better word. Some of them were the kind of questions that have been on the contestant tests.

I understand why the contestants saved the San Diego Zoo category for last because I was expecting it would be a video category that would waste a lot of time.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 am ...

I understand why the contestants saved the San Diego Zoo category for last because I was expecting it would be a video category that would waste a lot of time.
That was my reaction this morning when I got the categories off J!6. "Oh, no, I'm gonna have to archive a bunch of long-winded Clue Crew clues from the zoo.

Nope, dealing with the extra stuff by Khalilah and all of the incorrect responses was the time suck instead.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: 46,200
50 R/0 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: slider; change-up; Generation Y (DD); DNA; Andrew Carnegie; Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe; California (DD); "Veni, vidi, vici"; General Dynamics; Harper Lee; James Joyce
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:14 am Yesterday I was able to get the FJ! clue success rate after four responses up to 25% while today I keep it at 0% as I matched Susan and Matt. My thinking was FDR was too early and went with Ike for serving two terms. I get that TV was around in the 1940s, but not everything was necessarily televised going back to that decade.

It seems like a toss the coin clue with congrats to those who went the right way while sucks to have gone the wrong way.
Same, all the way around. Shame, too, as it cost me a 20/20 week on the big clues.

I had heard rumblings throughout the day on social media that this game was a bit rough, and it did not disappoint. Congrats to Khalilah on regaining her cool and making it through to Monday. It was yet another day when a potential winner lost because he failed to learn basic wagering strategy. Le sigh.

Speaking of Khalilah, as a Virginia resident, it was rather appropriate that she got both the "most populous state as of the 1790 census" clue and the "phrase Booth said when he killed Lincoln" DD.
Sprinkles are for winners.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

MitchO wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:29 pm Oh come on, how can you not appreciate Khalilah muttering "This is turning into a disaster" ?! :lol: She's adorable, we loved her.
I chuckled at that, too. Considering the type of game she was in and the way things were going, that was an appropos utterance.

Cringeworthy game...has been a while since there was one like that. With all the incorrect responses, it was kind of amazing that the contestants got to as many clues as they did.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

REALLY bad game with incredibly tough material and such a lame low scoring win.

This honestly very well could be considered one of the worst Jeopardy games ever played; it's up there with the game when all 3 players ended up with $0!
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

floridagator wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:10 am I predict that kelilah will be forgotten before the first commercial break on Monday and one or more of the challengers will emerge as the favourite.
Could you at least make an attempt at spelling her name right? The disrespect here is utterly palpable.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Darned Opus during Lent ... where's our 4th (ordinal) podium poll when we need it?