Monday, March 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, March 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, March 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVERTISING CHARACTERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Jack Keil’s team created this animal character rolled out in 1980, the year of the USA’s highest recorded murder rate

Khalilah Walters: 4200-0=4200
Kyle Dallman: 15400-0=15400 (New Champ)
Monya De: 6800+6800=13600

Correct response:
Spoiler
McGruff (the Crime Dog) [MacGruff accepted] (Khalilah – Scooby Doo) (Kyle – Ruff McGruffin)

Daily Doubles
Monya: 400+1000
Monya: 9400-6000
Monya: 3400+3400

Coryats
Khalilah: 4200
Kyle: 15400
Monya: 9800

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Khalilah: 3000
Kyle: 5000
Monya: 2200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Monya was 3/4 on the big clues and the one miss was very costly as $5000 instead of $6000 on DD2 could have won her the game.

It was 15400 to 9400 to 4200 with DD3 all but guaranteed at 20th CENTURY BOOKS $800, the $400 there and $2000 in VICE PRESIDENTIAL QUOTES $2000 where that DD2 was found in the $1600 box.

Monya went for 6000 and missed which did not leave her enough for DD3 on the double up. Of course knowing Ford's VP for $2000 could have saved the match also.

Golf will like having a GOLF category and I enjoyed the sweep even though the valuations seemed a little scrambled. Even better for me was TV BEFORE & AFTER for $6000 on the paper in thinking how many people smarter than me across 61 clues will hit a roadblock or two there.

The FJ! clue had me more troubled for the spelling than the clue itself. I went the right way while not being sure if Monya's spelling was right until I checked after the game. It was too bad for her that she could not quite make her double-up earn her any more than the $2000 consolation prize.

Not as good as boards completed though 2 two top box clues unplayed for a $600 total is better than the games that ended last week. Next week we can enjoy full 61s guaranteed.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Monya De is another of those who auditioned at Trivia Nationals in August. So far, I think none have won from this cohort (please correct me).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

boson wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:53 am Monya De is another of those who auditioned at Trivia Nationals in August. So far, I think none have won from this cohort (please correct me).
Aha. That's why the name was familiar. Thanks. She has quite a résumé.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Posting as requested. The game is archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6589

Though not proofread.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:40 pm Posting as requested. The game is archived: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6589

Though not proofread.
Thank you for adding this.

I was disappointed that the VP quotes didn’t include any nattering nabobs of negativism. But maybe we don’t need any negativity right now. The Masters themed tribute in the first round was a sad reminder it won’t be happening next week.

Interesting we had a number of religious themed clues today.

Not knowing who was VP in 1959 cost Monya the game. Learn your basics folks. Too bad she didn’t go for the DD in books first.

Khalilah’s FJ response gave me a chuckle. Instaget for someone who watched a lot of TV in the 1980s.
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:04 am Golf will like having a GOLF category and I enjoyed the sweep even though the valuations seemed a little scrambled.
I would have ordered them:

$200 Eagle
$400 Wedge
$600 St. Andrews
$800 U.S. and British
$1000 Croquet

Couple of personal comments, the wedge clue seemed to indicate that the pitching wedge is the highest lofted club in the bag. This is false, in my configuration, I have three other wedges with more loft than my pitching wedge. The pitching wedge is actually the lowest lofted wedge as the gap, sand, and lob wedges have more. This fact does not make the clue in error however, just a bit misleading.

I have played the Old Course at St. Andrews twice and neither time did I par the Road Hole. Both rounds hit the green with a 7-iron after perfect drives only to sadly 3-putt. It is by far the most difficult hole on the course, all it's notoriety is not overblown.

Did not think any of these five were complete gimmes, you had to have rudimentary knowledge of golf to answer any of them unlike some categories.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I got schneided on the TV Before & After category, but I did get FJ. Not sure I would have if not for my memory of baseball announcers calling Fred McGriff "the crime dog", border-line nonsensical as that nickname may have been.

"The Luck of the Irish" does not alas derive from a four-leaved clover. According to this article, it dates only from gold rush days, when Irish miners seemed, to, some, to find more than their share of the stuff. Maybe the leprechaun myth also contributed to the usage. In any case, "trifoliate" should have been a nudge away from the four-leaved sort, though it seems they really wanted to hear the word "shamrock".
I'm smart and I want respect.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran "T" Time and Abstract Nouns, but was 0/5 in TV Before & After. I knew "The Good Doctor Who" but was blanking on the former's name; no hope whatsoever on the rest.

What was the TOM for "Magi" on Masters of Art for $200? That whole category seemed extremely difficult.

Orly and Evry didn't sound even remotely French to me.

All but $400 in Fete Offensive, strangely. I know there's something called "Bastille Day" but have clue zero as to what it is.

1980 + murder wasn't sending me any signals at first, but then I re-read the name "Jack Keil" and remembered seeing it on TV Tropes, which was enough to make me pull McGruff the Crime Dog.

Lach Trash: Luke, cassowary, Robert F. Kennedy
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Anyone have an idea why the FJ clue used the phrase "rolled out"? I kept focusing on that, panicking that it wasn't the obvious (and correct) answer.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

OH! And by the way, I randomly stumbled across this at some point last year (forget what rabbit hole got me there) ... but McGruff has an entire ALBUM of songs: https://www.discogs.com/Various-McGruff ... se/9842216 You can find videos for a half dozen or so on YouTube.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Monya De is another of those who auditioned at Trivia Nationals in August. So far, I think none have won from this cohort (please correct me).
0 for 3.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

goongas wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:41 pm
0 for 3.
Tough crowd!

So many what-ifs for Monya to ponder. I thought she played well, she made a few mistakes, ok, but I do wish she had gone to BOOKS for $800 first for a double up. It’s tough to see a player lose in a runaway with a sole solve on FJ.

For my part, I wrote “Who is the ‘take a bite out of crime’ dog?” Judges? Never mind. No dice!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

I thought Monya looked familiar. Here's a very brief recap of her Millionaire appearance from a couple years ago if anyone's interested.

Another pop culture FJ from before my time, but unlike last Monday's, I got this one right without much difficulty. Congrats to Kyle on his victory!

St. Andrews was one of my favorite courses on the Tiger Woods video games. Fairly sure virtual me shot a sub-60 in the career mode once... Real life it would probably be closer to a 100. :lol:
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
davey

Post by davey »

Golf wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:46 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:04 am Golf will like having a GOLF category and I enjoyed the sweep even though the valuations seemed a little scrambled.
I would have ordered them:

$200 Eagle
$400 Wedge
$600 St. Andrews
$800 U.S. and British
$1000 Croquet
-------------------------

Did not think any of these five were complete gimmes, you had to have rudimentary knowledge of golf to answer any of them unlike some categories.
From the view of someone with that rudimentary knowledge, the clues were in the right order.
With the video, the croquet clue only required knowledge of croquet...

I knew FJ right away, then had a doubt - is it an "advertising character" if there's no product to advertise? It's a PSA character, isn't it?? Luckily, I saw the folly of such thinking... ;)
Is the clue implying that McGruff was designed to bring down the murder rate?

This is priceless, more for the crime-fighting technology employed than for the dog!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BLlWTOaNQw
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs.
FJ ended up being a WECIB :mrgreen:
Kyle clearly knew FJ, he just wanted to give a joke answer since it didn't cost anything. ;)
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I was surprised at no Dan Quayle clue in a Vice Presidential Quotes category.

TPH, "adoration of" in relation to art is what leads to "Magi". Could possibly be "adoration of the shepherds" though.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $38600 (45R, 1W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Couldn't pull The Sound and the Fury fast enough to score the $40k game. :oops:

FJ took me about 20 seconds of assuming I wasn't going to get it to realize it was the crime dog....