TD 443 - Hoops... (Final results)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

TD 443 - Hoops... (Final results)

Post by clt013 »

It's March, so that means I have created another basketball-related TD. This one has six questions connected to a 320-team 3-on-3 tournament that I wrote (and distributed to my vast network of three friends) and another half-dozen based on the NCAA tournament (which unfortunately did not take place this year). With apologies to Britney Spears, this quiz is titled "Hoops...I Did It Again".

Rules/Notes
1) Lowest point total wins; your score for each question is equal to the total number of players submitting that same answer
2) You may use one drop and take zero points for one question
3) You may elect to take the sheep answer for two questions
4) Wrong responses are the "sheep" answer +4
5) All answers are due by 8 PM Central time on Monday, March 30, 2020
6) Submit answers via this Google form or PM

Questions

1. My 3-on-3 tournament took place in states which have schools in the Big Ten Conference. Considering just those "Big Ten" states, name a city that is home to at least one "Big 4" (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) team's venue. [For example, if Missouri were in the Big Ten then Kansas City and St. Louis would be correct responses.]

2. The final games of the tournament took place in Dubuque, Iowa. Answer one of these clues about that locale.

There are bridges across the Mississippi River to these two bordering states [Name both]
The arena name is "this many" Flags - the same number as "Seasons" in Cedar Rapids' nickname
The USHL junior hockey team shares its name with this Minnesota World Hockey Association team
The city's largest employer produces this company's iconic green and yellow farm equipment that "nothing runs like"
A famous alum of the city's Loras College is this CBS sportscaster with alliterative initials
This is the city's airport code
Native Kate Mulgrew was Captain Kathryn Janeway on this Star Trek TV version
This 1981 film shot in the city was named for a Johnny Paycheck song (6 words - Lengths of 4, 4, 3, 3, 5, 2)
Unscramble the name of the second youngest woman (a Dubuque native) elected to the US House (2018): baby unfairknee
A commercial used to feature cans of this food product dancing to song set to 1950s doo-wop tune of 'Sh-boom'

3. Many ladies sang The Star Spangled Banner at the various venues used. Match one of these singers with their place of birth.

Countries
A. Natasha Bedingfield
B. Alice Merton
C. Kylie Minogue

K. Australia
L. England
M. Germany

Provinces
D. Celine Dion
E. Nelly Furtado
F. Sarah McLachlan

N. British Columbia
O. Nova Scotia
P. Quebec

States
G. Toni Braxton
H. Sheryl Crow
I. Katy Perry
J. Vanessa Williams

Q. California
R. Maryland
S. Missouri
T. New York

4. The tournament was a tribute to retiring Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany - who inspired the Sterzing's Potato Chips/Dubuque Hams Big 10 Tournament that I wrote for 20 years. Name one of these people who was born in 1992 - when I produced the first edition of the event.

This now Cleveland Browns receiver is famous for a one-handed catch and proposing to a kicking net
The actress from Wizards of Waverly Place and Spring Breakers who also released the 2017 song "Wolves"
This actor plays Peeta in The Hunger Games trilogy
A 2008 Olympic gymnast who later was a Dancing with the Stars champion
The actor who played Jacob in the Twilight movies
Actress turned singer who had top 10 hits with "Heart Attack" (2013) and "Sorry, Not Sorry" (2017)
Music producer and DJ of 2018 songs "Friends" and "Happier"
This player was the captain as Brazil won the 2016 Olympic gold medal in soccer
Actress known for playing Rey in the Star Wars movies
Three-time Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model who appeared in the movie "The Other Woman"

5. Athletes from other sports participated on "celebrity" teams in the tournament. Name the sport for one of these women.

Julie Ertz
Dominique Dawes
Summer Sanders
Suzy Hamilton
Claressa Shields
Danica Patrick
Gwen Jorgensen
Maddie Rooney
Lindsey Vonn
Jessie Graff (think TV competition)

6. Name one of these broadcasters who described and/or analyzed the action. [Initials include GJ, KO, CS and RT]

Radio play-by-play announcer for Dodgers, known for the line "Follow me to freedom!" in an ESPN SportsCenter promo
Current radio play-by-play voice for NFL's Raiders, known for gambling references and phrase "You're looking live!"
Former ESPN SportsCenter anchor who hosted The Daily Show and CBS' The Late Late Show
Enthusiastic broadcaster with catchphrases such as "This is awesome baby!" and "Diaper dandy"
Current Fox Sports broadcaster who became known for his enthusiastic calls at the end of close NCAA Tournament games while at CBS
Long-time NBA player, college and NBA head coach who was also on the NBC Saturday morning sitcom Hang Time
College star at UCLA who led Portland to its lone NBA title and whose son coached Lakers
Opened espn2's initial show (1993), anchor at Fox Sports Net (1998-2001), host of Countdown on MSNBC (2003-11), now back on ESPN
Current Entertainment Tonight co-host who previously worked at ESPN and FX (among other stops)
Sports talk show host who has been "Burning" and was once shoved to the floor by Jim Everett on an ESPN2 program
Ohio State star whose NBA career was cut short by knee injuries and is currently a studio analyst on CBS NCAA Tournament coverage

7. Name a state with at least three different schools that have been finalists in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

8. Match one of these schools that have never made the men's tournament with its nickname [Give answer as letter followed by number (Example: N12)]

A. Elon
B. Grand Canyon
C. Maine
D. Presbyterian
E. Quinnipiac
F. South Dakota
G. Stetson
H. Tennessee-Martin
I. Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)
J. William & Mary
K. Youngstown St

1. Antelopes
2. Black Bears
3. Blue Hose
4. Bobcats
5. Coyotes
6. Hatters
7. Roos (formerly Kangaroos)
8. Penguins
9. Phoenix
10. Skyhawks
11. Tribe

9. One Shining Moment is the song that plays over highlights at the end of the men's tournament each year. Name the artist for one of these songs with "One", "Shining" and/or "Moment" in title.

One on One (#7 1983)
Give Me One Reason (#3 1995)
Let Me Be the One (#7 1987)
Shining Star (#1 1975)
From This Moment On (#4 1998)
A Moment Like This (#1 2002)
One Moment in Time (#5 1988)
Hanging by a Moment (#2 2001)
Heat of the Moment (#4 1982)
This Magic Moment (#16 1960)

10. Teams that make it to the second week of the tournament have reached the Sweet Sixteen. Answer one of these clues about things associated with "sweet" or "sixteen".

She was the lead actress in the 2002 film Sweet Home Alabama
This actress danced to the song "Sweet Emotion" in the movie We're the Millers
Ava Max song that peaked at #10 in 2019
Walter Payton sang "They call me Sweetness" on this team's Super Bowl Shuffle
Series of young adult novels about twins Jessica & Elizabeth Wakefield
She had the lead role in Sixteen Candles
Actress who co-stars with Wesley Snipes in the 1997 movie Murder at 1600
The 16th amendment allowed Congress to do this
She was the wife of France's Louis XVI
MTV show about expectant high school females

11. This year the Women's Final Four would have been held in New Orleans at the home of the NBA's Pelicans. In 1996, the women's championship weekend took place at Charlotte Coliseum--which was the building where the then-Hornets played before moving to Louisiana and eventually changing their nickname. Name the current NBA franchise that plays (or played) in one of these prior host arenas of the women's Final Four.

Tacoma Dome
Target Center
Kemper Arena
Wells Fargo Center (previously First Union Center)
Alamodome
TD Banknorth Garden
Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse (previously Quicken Loans Arena)
Bankers Life Fieldhouse (previously Conseco Fieldhouse)
Pepsi Center
American Airlines Center

12. Atlanta was scheduled to host this year's Final Four in the men's tournament. It is also the title of the FX series created by Donald Glover. Answer one of these clues about other TV shows or movies set or shot in Georgia's capital city.

Four women and one man worked at an interior designing firm on this CBS sitcom
Andy Griffith played the title defense attorney in this series
Breckin Meyer and Mark-Paul Gosselaar co-starred on this 2011-14 TNT show
This series about survivors of a zombie apocalypse airs on AMC
The CW airs a reboot of this 1980s prime time soap opera that was set in Denver
Lily James, Jon Hamm and Jamie Foxx were among the cast of this 2017 action comedy film
Denzel Washington played an alcoholic airline pilot who crash-lands a plane in this 2012 movie
In this 2010 film, Katherine Heigl and Josh Duhamel play godparents who become guardians of a 1-year-old when the parents die in a car crash
This 2019 movie depicted the Centennial Olympic Park bombing and its aftermath
Clint Eastwood is a scout for the Braves and Amy Adams his lawyer daughter in this 2012 film

13. BONUS ROUND - Answer one clue from each group [Correct responses (Both parts) = -1, SHEEP in each category = 0, Incorrect responses = 0; 3 correct without SHEEP = Additional -1]

A. Marching Music (Given the lyric and year, name the song title and artist)

1. When the little ___ are _____, Red and black anntenas waving (1993)
2. Cause the players tried to take the field, the marching band refused to yield (1971)
3. I can hear the marching feet, they're moving into the street (1992)
4. Little girls still break their hearts, uh huh and men still keep on marching off to war (1966)

B. Mad TV

5. First names of the two main characters on Mad About You
6. Name the host and network for the show Mad Money
7. Name the ad agency and main character on Mad Men
8. Mad Love was a short-lived CBS sitcom whose cast included these actresses (JG and SC) who voice Cheryl Tunt (Archer) & Beth Smith (Rick and Morty)

C. Bradley Braves basketball based bonus

9. In back-to-back years, lost the initial finals of these two "lesser" (not NCAA or NIT) tournaments
10. Played 2006 NCAA tournament games at NBA arenas for these two teams (who have both since moved to new venues)
11. In 1994 NIT, beat Murray St & Old Dominion; Give the nicknames for those schools
12. In 2020, the men defended their title at this conference tournament while the women likely would have hosted a WNIT game in this city
Last edited by clt013 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:04 am, edited 6 times in total.
clt013

Re: TD 443 - Hoops...

Post by clt013 »

Final entrant list...
Spoiler
Ironhorse
MollyQMurphy
Gamawire
Rackme32
BrigadierSolo13

MattKnowles
gwallace2
MarkBarrett
threearruda
SenseiCAY

merica
Flealick
NYCScribbler
econgator
alamble

WhatAreDogs
True North
floridagator
AFRET CMS
casketromance

SBurrus
heppm01
classicroadster
jfmk
ihavejeoprosy
Last edited by clt013 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:46 am, edited 4 times in total.
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Bump #1
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

clt013 wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:33 am
For example, if Missouri were in the Big Ten then Kansas City and St. Louis would be correct responses.]
Wait a minute! You say Kansas City is in Missouri!? Not according to Donald Trump!
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Pre-weekend bump - hoping to stick with plan of starting the reveal Monday afternoon, but work situation may change that.

Stay safe and well!
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

My kindred. Okay, I'm in.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Final bump - entry deadline tomorrow morning with reveal to hopefully begin in afternoon.
ihavejeoprosy

Post by ihavejeoprosy »

Is this closed or is there time for a buzzer beater entry?
Please follow me on Twitter @Cinjeopardy
Total game show losings: $25 K
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Still open to entries until at least early afternoon - work situation means I will not get around to scoring until some time later today
clt013

Post by clt013 »

Deadline extended to 8 PM Central time tonight with reveal to begin shortly after that.
clt013

Re: TD 443 - Hoops... (Q1-Q2 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

1. My 3-on-3 tournament took place in states which have schools in the Big Ten Conference. Considering just those "Big Ten" states, name a city that is home to at least one "Big 4" (MLB, NBA, NFL, NHL) team's venue. [For example, if Missouri were in the Big Ten then Kansas City and St. Louis would be correct responses.]

The flock goes "Wild"...

St. Paul (Wild) [SHEEP] - 5
Ironhorse
merica
WhatAreDogs
True North
floridagator

Newark (Devils) - 4
gwallace2
casketromance
classicroadster
ihavejeoprosy

Indianapolis (Colts, Pacers) - 3
Gamawire
MattKnowles
threearruda

Milwaukee (Brewers, Bucks) - 3
Rackme32
econgator
SBurrus

Detroit (Lions, Pistons, Red Wings, Tigers) - 2
NYCScribbler
heppm01

Philadelphia (Eagles, Flyers, Phillies, 76ers) - 2
MarkBarrett
jfmk

SINGLETONS - 1

Cincinnati (Bengals, Reds)
AFRET CMS

Columbus (Blue Jackets)
BrigadierSolo13

Green Bay (Packers)
alamble

Landover (Redskins)
SenseiCAY

Minneapolis (Timberwolves, Twins, Vikings)
MollyQMurphy

NOT USED
Baltimore (Orioles, Ravens)
Chicago (Bears, Blackhawks, Bulls, Cubs, White Sox)
Cleveland (Browns, Cavaliers, Indians)
East Rutherford (Giants, Jets)
Pittsburgh (Penguins, Pirates, Steelers)

DROP = 0
Flealick

2. The final games of the tournament took place in Dubuque, Iowa. Answer one of these clues about that locale.

There are bridges across the Mississippi River to these two bordering states (Name both) [Illinois, Wisconsin]
The arena name is "this many" Flags - the same number as "Seasons" in Cedar Rapids' nickname [Five]
The USHL junior hockey team shares its name with this Minnesota World Hockey Association team [Fighting Saints]
The city's largest employer produces this company's iconic green and yellow farm equipment that "nothing runs like" [John Deere]
A famous alum of the city's Loras College is this CBS sportscaster with alliterative initials [Greg Gumbel]
This is the city's airport code [DBQ]
Native Kate Mulgrew was Captain Kathryn Janeway on this Star Trek TV version [Voyager]
This 1981 film shot in the city was named for a Johnny Paycheck song (6 words - Lengths of 4, 4, 3, 3, 5, 2) [Take This Job and Shove It]
Unscramble the name of the second youngest woman (a Dubuque native) elected to the US House (2018): baby unfairknee [Abby Finkenauer]
A commercial used to feature cans of this food product dancing to song set to 1950s doo-wop tune of 'Sh-boom' [Ham]

"Run"ning to the top...

John Deere [SHEEP] - 7
Gamawire
MattKnowles
NYCScribbler
SBurrus
heppm01
classicroadster
jfmk

Take This Job and Shove It - 5
Rackme32
merica
Flealick
alamble
casketromance

Voyager - 4
BrigadierSolo13
MarkBarrett
econgator
AFRET CMS

Greg Gumbel - 3
Ironhorse
threearruda
WhatAreDogs

SINGLETONS - 1

DBQ
ihavejeoprosy

Fighting Saints
True North

Five
floridagator

Illinois, Wisconsin
SenseiCAY

NOT USED
Abby Finkenauer
Ham

WRONG ANSWERS = 11
MollyQMurphy (Illinois, Kentucky)
gwallace2 (Deep Space Nine)

STANDINGS AFTER Q2
1. SenseiCAY - 2
2. BrigadierSolo13 - 5
2. Flealick - 5
2. AFRET CMS - 5
2. ihavejeoprosy - 5
6. MarkBarrett - 6
6. threearruda - 6
6. alamble - 6
6. True North - 6
6. floridagator - 6
11. econgator - 7
12. Ironhorse - 8
12. Rackme32 - 8
12. WhatAreDogs - 8
15. NYCScribbler - 9
15. casketromance - 9
15. heppm01 - 9
15. jfmk - 9
19. Gamawire - 10
19. MattKnowles - 10
19. merica - 10
19. SBurrus - 10
23. classicroadster - 11
24. MollyQMurphy - 12

twelvefootboy "Memorial" (No, he's not dead, just didn't enter this one :) ) ALL SHEEP LINE - 12

25. gwallace2 - 15
Last edited by clt013 on Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

clt013 wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:01 pm

twelvefootboy "Memorial" (No, he's not dead, just didn't enter this one :) ) ALL SHEEP LINE - 12

25. gwallace2 - 15
I am honored 8-) . I couldn't name a Big 10 state or any of Q2, so I thought I'd lay low.

I didn't want to post to announce my ignorance because it might seem critical of the TD and your hard work. Hell, I'll enter a quilting TD if I can learn something. So I'm lurking and might accidentally learn something :). See you at All Sheep Plus 40!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

I'm so glad I changed my answers to the first two questions just before submitting. That way I could chalk up two sheep right at the start! Had two answers ready to go that ultimately went unused (Baltimore and Dubuque Hams). Oh well, at least nothing has changed about TD in the last month.
clt013

Re: TD 443 - Hoops... (Q3-Q5 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

3. Many ladies sang The Star Spangled Banner at the various venues used. Match one of these singers with their place of birth.

Countries
A. Natasha Bedingfield
B. Alice Merton
C. Kylie Minogue

K. Australia
L. England
M. Germany

Provinces
D. Celine Dion
E. Nelly Furtado
F. Sarah McLachlan

N. British Columbia
O. Nova Scotia
P. Quebec

States
G. Toni Braxton
H. Sheryl Crow
I. Katy Perry
J. Vanessa Williams

Q. California
R. Maryland
S. Missouri
T. New York

The sheep go "down under"…

CK [Kylie Minogue - Australia] {SHEEP} - 6
BrigadierSolo13
MarkBarrett
Flealick
NYCScribbler
heppm01
classicroadster

HS [Sheryl Crow - Missouri] - 3
merica
alamble
SBurrus

IQ [Katy Perry - California] - 3
Gamawire
threearruda
jfmk

DP [Celine Dion - Quebec] - 2
MollyQMurphy
AFRET CMS

SINGLETONS - 1

AL [Natasha Bedingfield - England]
ihavejeoprosy

BM [Alice Merton - Germany]
Ironhorse

EN [Nelly Furtado - British Columbia]
casketromance

GR [Toni Braxton - Maryland]
floridagator

NOT USED
FO [Sarah McLachlan - Nova Scotia]
JT [Vanessa Williams - New York]

DROP = 0
MattKnowles
gwallace2
SenseiCAY
econgator
WhatAreDogs

SHEEP = 6
Rackme32

WRONG ANSWER = 10
True North (EO)

4. The tournament was a tribute to retiring Big Ten commissioner Jim Delany - who inspired the Sterzing's Potato Chips/Dubuque Hams Big 10 Tournament that I wrote for 20 years. Name one of these people who was born in 1992 - when I produced the first edition of the event.

This now Cleveland Browns receiver is famous for a one-handed catch and proposing to a kicking net [Odell Beckham, Jr.]
The actress from Wizards of Waverly Place and Spring Breakers who also released the 2017 song "Wolves" [Selena Gomez]
This actor plays Peeta in The Hunger Games trilogy [Josh Hutcherson]
A 2008 Olympic gymnast who later was a Dancing with the Stars champion [Shawn Johnson]
The actor who played Jacob in the Twilight movies [Taylor Lautner]
Actress turned singer who had top 10 hits with "Heart Attack" (2013) and "Sorry, Not Sorry" (2017) [Demi Lovato]
Music producer and DJ of 2018 songs "Friends" and "Happier" [Marshmello]
This player was the captain as Brazil won the 2016 Olympic gold medal in soccer [Neymar]
Actress known for playing Rey in the Star Wars movies [Daisy Ridley]
Three-time Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue cover model who appeared in the movie "The Other Woman" [Kate Upton]

The Olympic and dancing champion wins again…

Shawn Johnson [SHEEP] - 6
BrigadierSolo13
SenseiCAY
merica
econgator
jfmk
ihavejeoprosy

Odell Beckham, Jr. - 2
Ironhorse
alamble

Selena Gomez - 2
MarkBarrett
Flealick

Marshmello - 2
threearruda
WhatAreDogs

Daisy Ridley - 2
AFRET CMS
heppm01

SINGLETONS - 1

Josh Hutcherson
Gamawire

Taylor Lautner
gwallace2

Kate Upton
classicroadster

NOT USED
Demi Lovato
Neymar

WRONG ANSWERS = 10
MollyQMurphy (Tara Lipinski)
MattKnowles (Gabby Douglas)

DROP = 0
Rackme32
NYCScribbler
True North
floridagator
casketromance
SBurrus

5. Athletes from other sports participated on "celebrity" teams in the tournament. Name the sport for one of these women.

Julie Ertz [Soccer]
Dominique Dawes [Gymnastics]
Summer Sanders [Swimming]
Suzy Hamilton [Track]
Claressa Shields [Boxing]
Danica Patrick [Auto Racing]
Gwen Jorgensen [Triathlon]
Maddie Rooney [Hockey]
Lindsey Vonn [Skiing]
Jessie Graff (think TV competition) [Ninja Warrior]

The sheep take a dip in the pool…

Swimming [SHEEP] - 5
BrigadierSolo13
gwallace2
merica
econgator
WhatAreDogs

Skiing - 4
MollyQMurphy
Flealick
AFRET CMS
heppm01

Soccer - 4
Ironhorse
threearruda
casketromance
jfmk

Boxing - 3
MarkBarrett
NYCScribbler
ihavejeoprosy

Ninja Warrior - 3
SenseCAY
alamble
classicroadster

Auto racing - 2
MattKnowles
SBurrus

Triathlon - 2
True North
floridagator

Gymnastics [SINGLETON!] - 1
Gamawire

NOT USED
Hockey
Track

WRONG ANSWER = 9
Rackme32 (Golf)

STANDINGS AFTER Q5
1. floridagator - 9
2. SenseiCAY - 11
3. AFRET CMS - 13
4. alamble - 14
4. casketromance - 14
6. ihavejeoprosy - 15
6. threearruda - 15
6. Ironhorse - 15
6. WhatAreDogs - 15
6. Gamawire - 15
6. SBurrus - 15
12. Flealick - 17
12. MarkBarrett - 17
14. True North - 18
14. econgator - 18
14. NYCScribbler - 18
17. heppm01 - 21
17. classicroadster - 21
17. gwallace2 - 21
20. BrigadierSolo13 - 22
20. jfmk - 22
20. MattKnowles - 22
23. Rackme32 - 23
24. merica - 24
25. MollyQMurphy - 28

ALL SHEEP LINE - 29
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: TD 443 - Hoops... (Q1-Q5 revealed)

Post by True North »

Lol me with the typo for Q3 (EO instead of FO). And it would’ve aced too!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Re: TD 443 - Hoops... (Q1-Q5 revealed)

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

You gotta be sheeping me!
clt013

Re: TD 443 - Hoops... (Q6-Q8 revealed)

Post by clt013 »

6. Name one of these broadcasters who described and/or analyzed the action. [Initials include GJ, KO, CS and RT]

Radio play-by-play announcer for Dodgers, known for the line "Follow me to freedom!" in an ESPN SportsCenter promo [Charley Steiner]
Current radio play-by-play voice for NFL's Raiders, known for gambling references and phrase "You're looking live!" [Brent Musberger]
Former ESPN SportsCenter anchor who hosted The Daily Show and CBS' The Late Late Show [Craig Kilborn]
Enthusiastic broadcaster with catchphrases such as "This is awesome baby!" and "Diaper dandy" [Dick Vitale]
Current Fox Sports broadcaster who became known for his enthusiastic calls at the end of close NCAA Tournament games while at CBS [Gus Johnson]
Long-time NBA player, college and NBA head coach who was also on the NBC Saturday morning sitcom Hang Time [Reggie Theus]
College star at UCLA who led Portland to its lone NBA title and whose son coached Lakers [Bill Walton]
Opened espn2's initial show (1993), anchor at Fox Sports Net (1998-2001), host of Countdown on MSNBC (2003-11), now back on ESPN [Keith Olbermann]
Current Entertainment Tonight co-host who previously worked at ESPN and FX (among other stops) [Kevin Frazier]
Sports talk show host who has been "Burning" and was once shoved to the floor by Jim Everett on an ESPN2 program [Jim Rome]
Ohio State star whose NBA career was cut short by knee injuries and is currently a studio analyst on CBS NCAA Tournament coverage [Clark Kellogg]

Eight answers used between 2 and 4 times…

Craig Kilborn [Co-SHEEP] - 4
gwallace2
SenseiCAY
Flealick
alamble

Jim Rome [Co-SHEEP] - 4
Ironhorse
BrigadierSolo13
MattKnowles
merica

Charley Steiner - 3
WhatAreDogs
True North
classicroadster

Dick Vitale - 3
econgator
floridagator
heppm01

Gus Johnson - 2
threearruda
SBurrus

Brent Musberger - 2
Rackme32
MarkBarrett

Keith Olbermann - 2
AFRET CMS
jfmk

Bill Walton - 2
MollyQMurphy
NYCScribbler

Reggie Theus [SINGLETON!] - 1
casketromance

NOT USED
Kevin Frazier
Clark Kellogg

DROP = 0
Gamawire

WRONG ANSWER = 8
ihavejeoprosy (Greg Oden)

7. Name a state with at least three different schools that have been finalists in the NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament

Flocking to the west coast…

California (Stanford, California, San Francisco, UCLA) [SHEEP] - 6
Gamawire
Rackme32
MattKnowles
MarkBarrett
Flealick
heppm01

Indiana (Indiana, Purdue, Indiana State, Butler) - 5
BrigaderSolo13
gwallace2
threearruda
SenseiCAY
NYCScribbler

North Carolina(North Carolina, North Carolina State, Duke) - 4
MollyQMurphy
AFRET CMS
SBurrus
jfmk

New York (CCNY, Syracuse, NYU, St. John's) - 2
WhatAreDogs
True North

Texas (Baylor, UTEP, Houston, Texas Tech) - 2
Ironhorse
alamble

SINGLETONS - 1

Florida (Jacksonville, Florida State, Florida)
econgator

Illinois (Bradley, Loyola, Illinois)
merica

Washington (Washington State, Seattle, Gonzaga)
casketromance

NOT USED
Ohio (Ohio State, Cincinnati, Dayton)

DROP = 0
ihavejeoprosy

WRONG ANSWERS = 10
floridagator (Kansas - Kansas, Kansas State in final, Wichita State in Final Four but never championship game)
classicroadster (Michigan - Michigan, Michigan State have won championship, no other school has even reached Final Four)

8. Match one of these schools that have never made the men's tournament with its nickname [Give answer as letter/number]

A. Elon
B. Grand Canyon
C. Maine
D. Presbyterian
E. Quinnipiac
F. South Dakota
G. Stetson
H. Tennessee-Martin
I. Missouri-Kansas City (UMKC)
J. William & Mary
K. Youngstown St

1. Antelopes
2. Black Bears
3. Blue Hose
4. Bobcats
5. Coyotes
6. Hatters
7. Roos (formerly Kangaroos)
8. Penguins
9. Phoenix
10. Skyhawks
11. Tribe

The Phoenix rise to the top…

A9 [Elon - Phoenix] {SHEEP} - 4
Ironhorse
gwallace2
True North
SBurrus

H10 [Tennessee-Martin - Skyhawks] - 3
threearruda
NYCScribbler
casketromance

D3 [Presbyterian - Blue Hose] - 3
BrigadierSolo13
merica
jfmk

I7 [UMKC - Roos] - 3
alamble
floridagator
ihavejeoprosy

SINGLETONS - 1

B1 [Grand Canyon - Antelopes]
Rackme32

C2 [Maine - Black Bears]
econgator

E4 [Quinnpiac - Bobcats]
classicroadster

G6 [Stetson - Hatters]
MollyQMurphy

J11 [William & Mary - Tribe]
SenseiCAY

K8 [Youngstown State - Penguins]
WhatAreDogs

NOT USED
F5 [South Dakota - Coyotes]

DROP = 0
MarkBarrett
AFRET CMS
heppm01

SHEEP = 4
Gamawire
MattKnowles

WRONG ANSWER = 8
Flealick (B9)

STANDINGS AFTER Q8
1. AFRET CMS - 19
1. casketromance - 19
3. SenseiCAY - 21
3. WhatAreDogs - 21
5. alamble - 23
5. econgator - 23
7. floridagator - 25
7. threearruda - 25
7. Ironhorse - 25
7. Gamawire - 25
7. SBurrus - 25
7. MarkBarrett - 25
13. ihavejeoprosy - 26
14. True North - 27
15. NYCScribbler - 28
16. heppm01 - 30
17. jfmk - 31
18. Rackme32 - 32
18. merica - 32
20. gwallace2 - 34
20. BrigadierSolo13 - 34
22. Flealick - 35
22. classicroadster - 35
22. MollyQMurphy - 35
25. MattKnowles - 36

ALL SHEEP LINE - 43
floridagator

Re: TD 443 - Hoops... (Q1-Q8 revealed)

Post by floridagator »

I thought finalist meant being in the final four
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Shouldn't North Carolina also have Wake Forest on its list? I thought I remember Chris Paul leading them to the finals.

EDIT: good thing I don't rely solely off my high school memory, that was Georgia tech and Jarrett Jack, not WF. Same colors lol
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

Elon Phoenix was the SHEEP??? I thought for sure that was going to be a singleton for me. :shock: