Wednesday, April 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

Hemant and I (and clt) auditioned in Milwaukee last November. There's a good shot of us on the Jeopardy special with Michael Strahan.

Well, it's a good shot of him. I'm not sure why I'm so frowny.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

There are only 3 prairie provinces, so middle Saskatchewan has to be one. If you consider you have to include the fat end of Yukon into the equation, the other has to be Manitoba, not Alberta.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 8:40 pm I fell for the "shoe bomber" negbait too.
I won't claim my usual "not negbait" argument here, but I hesitated on saying Shoe Bomber because I thought I recalled him having an English name and not an Arabic one (it was Richard Reid, it turns out), and that hesitation gave me enough time to recall the Underwear Bomber, though I still wasn't confident to ring in and say one or the other. Then when Kami got negged I was ready for the rebound.

I was confused by the clue seeming to imply that DNA testing was involved in investigating the attempted terrorism (why would you need to DNA test when a guy's pants burst into flames on a plane?), but I guess they must have been testing the explosives instead.

You had a 1 in 3 chance of getting FJ right if you knew the prairie provinces and guessed two of them randomly; knowing Saskatchewan was in the middle improved things further. My dad and I went the right way. It's unfortunate that the worst response beat the best possible incorrect responses, but wrong is wrong and that's the way the game goes sometimes.
clt013
J! and SJ! Pool Participant

Post by clt013 »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:03 pm Hemant and I (and clt) auditioned in Milwaukee last November. There's a good shot of us on the Jeopardy special with Michael Strahan.

Well, it's a good shot of him. I'm not sure why I'm so frowny.
I recognized Hemant from the audition - pretty sure we had a brief chat in the lobby.

Pulled up almost that exact picture to point out the new champ to my son. 😃
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

It's spelled slalom but pronounced slolom. The first syllable rhymes with "fall", not the first part of "phallus".

Any chance of someone posting a gif of Leanne's reaction after Alex said "underwear bomber"? It's clue 28 in the J! round.

Like Kami, I'd have said Knights Templar first, but would have gotten Teutonic Knights on the rebound if she outbuzzed me. The German cities should have clued me in, but stuff comes at you fast up there.

I got FJ right but confidence was low, not knowing if they wanted Saskatchewan's neighbor to the east or west. Kinda feels unfair that Hemant could make about the worst possible guess and come away with the win, but that's Jeopardy!

Mark, there's a small goof in American Women $1200--I submitted a possible fix, but it's just a guess.
In and out of the pool four times
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:46 pm You had a 1 in 3 chance of getting FJ right if you knew the prairie provinces and guessed two of them randomly; knowing Saskatchewan was in the middle improved things further. My dad and I went the right way. It's unfortunate that the worst response beat the best possible incorrect responses, but wrong is wrong and that's the way the game goes sometimes.
AB/SK/MB blend together so thoroughly in my head that I had the Yukon and BC more or less where either one of them should be.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ironhorse wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 2:29 pm I was confident in Saskatchewan but not sure which direction to go from there. I guessed right this time.
Similar. Knew Saskatchewan had to be one since it's the middle prairie province, and thought Alberta would be too tempting as negbait since it's western. I thought the writers might have been chuckling when they noticed that the NW Territories touched the easternmost prairie province, so went with Manitoba. Half-heartedly and tentatively, to be sure.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm ...

Mark, there's a small goof in American Women $1200--I submitted a possible fix, but it's just a guess.
Thanks and fixed. I got OCRed.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:26 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:23 am I matched Leanne and Kami for the dreaded half right.
You get the trap door today, Mark. I figured you'd at least have the North American map down. ;)
I know what order they're in, but not where they all meet. I matched Mark.
davey

Post by davey »

When they had Glenn Close recording clues, too bad they didn't have her record today's theater DD. She starred in that production as St. Joan's mom.

Even though the choices are few, I started scrawling late and found Saskatchewan pretty unnerving to write quickly but legibly, so I fretted over whether I'd left something important out. But I got the other one wrong so it didn't matter... :(
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

A way to remember the provinces in order starting on the west coast is that the first letters spell BASMOQ.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm Any chance of someone posting a gif of Leanne's reaction after Alex said "underwear bomber"? It's clue 28 in the J! round.
Just a still shot:
Reaction.PNG
Reaction.PNG (343.08 KiB) Viewed 4543 times
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Am I the only one who watches Late Night with Seth Meyers? The resemblance to writer and occasional segment host Jenny Hagel is uncanny:
JHagel.jpg
JHagel.jpg (79.48 KiB) Viewed 4526 times
RobW
Boy, this was fun! :)

Post by RobW »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 5:34 am A way to remember the provinces in order starting on the west coast is that the first letters spell BASMOQ.
I had the odd certainty that I'd see a geographic quad-point question in the TOC.
So I had a few mnemonics at the ready...

UCAN (I already knew this US classic from the 3rd grade)
NN, S&M (would've gotten me this particular FJ)
Zim Zam Bot Nam (helped me in Learned League last week)

(as for my premonition, I obviously should've been reading the classics instead of the maps. :mrgreen: )
formerly known as doitneatly
twitter: @rob_worman
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I’m pretty good with geography but I totally blew that one! I said Alberta & Manitoba! I’ve tried using that pneumonic device (BASM) but I forgot it when it counted. How many days in a row is it for one hit wonders?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Mark one more for the AB and SK neg. I pretty much knew it was going to be a Kosman Koin, but I stuck with it.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:50 pm It's spelled slalom but pronounced slolom. The first syllable rhymes with "fall", not the first part of "phallus".
I would assume Canadians typically pronounce it the second way. Kami is listed as being from St. Louis but I'm wondering if she grew up in Canada.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm I’m pretty good with geography but I totally blew that one! I said Alberta & Manitoba! I’ve tried using that pneumonic device (BASM) but I forgot it when it counted. How many days in a row is it for one hit wonders?
Mnemonic.

I'm pretty good with the provinces, but I didn't have a sense of where the territories fit in geographically. In fifth grade, I did a social studies assignment on Saskatchewan, which probably helps a bit. (Why Saskatchewan? We started the report in class, and I was slow getting to the encyclopedias; the S volume was available.)

Apparently, I'm the only person in the universe who's bothered by the Kirsten/Kristen thing. Good to know.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:42 pm
Johnblue wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:59 pm I’m pretty good with geography but I totally blew that one! I said Alberta & Manitoba! I’ve tried using that pneumonic device (BASM) but I forgot it when it counted. How many days in a row is it for one hit wonders?
Mnemonic.

I'm pretty good with the provinces, but I didn't have a sense of where the territories fit in geographically. In fifth grade, I did a social studies assignment on Saskatchewan, which probably helps a bit.
Probably not a whole lot, though, since Nunavut didn't exist then.