2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: 2020 Current Events Discussion Thread

Post by Golf »

Perhaps all posts in the study guide regarding the postponement of the Olympics should be deleted until we actually know something?

Edit- we know something :lol: But those extraneous posts should be cleaned up. 😇
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Playwright Terrence McNally has died at 81 due to complications from COVID-19. McNally won 4 Tony awards - two for books for musicals, “Kiss of the Spider Woman” (1993) and “Ragtime” (1998), and two for plays, “Love! Valour! Compassion!” (1995) and “Master Class” (1996)
Is he the first person of note to die from this?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 25, 2020 6:07 pm
Playwright Terrence McNally has died at 81 due to complications from COVID-19. McNally won 4 Tony awards - two for books for musicals, “Kiss of the Spider Woman” (1993) and “Ragtime” (1998), and two for plays, “Love! Valour! Compassion!” (1995) and “Master Class” (1996)
Is he the first person of note to die from this?
Of course he wasn't "notable" beforehand, but Dr. Li Wenliang may have saved thousands of lives by whistleblowing about the danger of the virus and earning a reprimand from the mucky-mucks in China. .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:21 pm After exhaustive research, the mystery of the Triscuit name has been solved. Nope, that one Final Jeopardy was wrong.
It means Electricity Biscuit

https://thetakeout.com/twitter-solves-t ... 1842509936

Cabin fever levels are also reaching unprecedented highs.
That FJ clue was assiduously phrased not to claim what the name meant, and as such the recent realization doesn't make the clue wrong.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:21 pm After exhaustive research, the mystery of the Triscuit name has been solved.... It means Electricity Biscuit

https://thetakeout.com/twitter-solves-t ... 1842509936
Thank you, Sage Boggs! This is nice piece of trivia—with a pleasant crunch!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Indy 500 postponed until August 23rd
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by boson »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:24 am Tiger King on Netflix and Zoom for video conferencing were unknown to me earlier this month while in the past week they've pinged my radar many times. Be ready.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Kin ... nd_Madness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_Video_Communications
I started watching Tiger King last night. People are weird.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: 2020 Current Events Study Guide

Post by Volante »

boson wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:24 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:24 am Tiger King on Netflix and Zoom for video conferencing were unknown to me earlier this month while in the past week they've pinged my radar many times. Be ready.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiger_Kin ... nd_Madness

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zoom_Video_Communications
I started watching Tiger King last night. People are weird.
I haven't seen it, not going to see it, because Big Cat Rescue is incredible. And (according to them), the show's misleading too:
https://bigcatrescue.org/refuting-netflix-tiger-king/

Can't speak to the personal parts, but can confirm the tour bits. The place is gigantic and the tour I was on was only about 20 people
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Prop Joe Diffie up beside the jukebox.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.rollin ... 74556/amp/
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:59 pm Prop Joe Diffie up beside the jukebox.

That was surprisingly quick.

I saw Joe Diffie back in 2005 when recovering from jawbone surgery. A few years back I got his Wikipedia article ranked as a "Good Article". In 2nd grade I called in a request for "John Deere Green" to a local radio station and recorded the request on tape so my classmates could hear it.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

DBear wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:14 am Since it looks like Bernie Sanders may have singlehandedly broke up Public Enemy, maybe we should call him Bernie Ono :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Apparently not...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:59 pm Prop Joe Diffie up beside the jukebox.

AUGH I can't believe I missed this before. :(

(listening to country while growing up in NYC, it took me years to learn that "John Deere Green" was a color, not a place a la Tavern on the Green)
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I also grew up in NYC but I guess I watched the news.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote:A new Law & Order spin-off is coming, Lt. Stabler is back. This series will be about organized crime. No title yet.
I feel like at this point, we can't be definite about any announced TV, movie, or music projects that haven't already been filmed/recorded.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:14 am
triviawayne wrote:A new Law & Order spin-off is coming, Lt. Stabler is back. This series will be about organized crime. No title yet.
I feel like at this point, we can't be definite about any announced TV, movie, or music projects that haven't already been filmed/recorded.
I would say this is definitely coming, we just don't know when.

Dick Wolf has a production deal for new shows, this is one of them. The only way this doesn't happen is if the virus gets Meloni or Wolf; or if production never begins again on anything ever.
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Dick Wolf has a production deal for new shows, this is one of them. The only way this doesn't happen is if the virus gets Meloni or Wolf; or if production never begins again on anything ever.
Perhaps it doesn’t need to be in the canon until it actually has a title and a solid date?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Stabler held the rank of detective when he was last seen on SVU, not lieutenant.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Golf wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:35 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:31 pm

Perhaps it doesn’t need to be in the canon until it actually has a title and a solid date?
Aren’t many things in the thread not necessarily in the canon yet, but things we expect will be
Golf

Post by Golf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:29 pm Aren’t many things in the thread not necessarily in the canon yet, but things we expect will be
In my opinion, things should only be posted once they are set in stone. Nobody cares about rumors and it’s not a race to see who can post first.

In this case, we don’t have a title, which Jeopardy tends to require. So when the title is revealed, we will then require another post making this post useless.

I love the thread, it’s a great resource for all of us. I just don’t want to see it get bogged down with rumor and minutia.