Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

SBurrus
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 84

Post by SBurrus »

Meanwhile...I am really looking forward to the 1970s Music mini-league. Maybe because I grew up in that decade, I thought the 1970s had the best music ever made. Hopefully, the questions for that mini-league will align with my knowledge base.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

SBurrus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 am Meanwhile...I am really looking forward to the 1970s Music mini-league. Maybe because I grew up in that decade, I thought the 1970s had the best music ever made. Hopefully, the questions for that mini-league will align with my knowledge base.
Looks like this could be a brutal ML; 33% average get rate on MD1.... and that's only because one question had 76%.

When I saw that first question, I was thinking this was gonna be easy all the way -- surprised that "Raindrops..." had only a 76% get rate -- and then my reaction to the next 5 was: "huh?", "huh?", "huh?", "huh?" and..... "huh?" in no particular order. Took a wild guess with Paul McCartney and after some serious thought came up with Joni Mitchell/Leonard Cohen. The quote from The Ramones review was ridiculously obscure 45 years later.

I may have managed 3 right -- only 4 players in my group managed to get 3 or more -- but I'm: looking forward to the rest of the ML/NOT looking forward to the rest of the ML. Ambivalent.
Last edited by RandyG on Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:24 am, edited 3 times in total.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

I got five out of six right, missing the Ramones question. I knew the Paul McCartney question because I knew he recorded "Mary Had A Little Lamb". By the way, McCartney recorded that as a protest because the BBC had banned playing his previous single, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish".

Based on the scores on the first day in my rundle, I should make it to the top two. One player had a perfect score.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I was disappointed that I was too late to register for 70’s music but yes, that was brutal! I did get BJ Cassidy’s hit, Chic, and Pop Muzik. That cuisine thing is even tougher!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

georgespelvin wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:40 pm I got five out of six right, missing the Ramones question. I knew the Paul McCartney question because I knew he recorded "Mary Had A Little Lamb". By the way, McCartney recorded that as a protest because the BBC had banned playing his previous single, "Give Ireland Back to the Irish".
Give Ireland Back to the Irish is a great song. Long time favorite of mine. I didn't know they'd banned it, but I can certainly see why.
RJRouge

Post by RJRouge »

Yes, the first day of the music ML was quite brutal. Got Raindrops and Chic (which was a complete ass pull... was the only disco/funk band I could think of that had men and women in it), then Leonard Cohen but not Joni Mitchell. I neither knew she was Canadian nor believed his song would use the same name.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

When I saw World Cuisine and 70s music, I thought Huzzah! Two wheelhouse categories. Yes , World Cuisine has played that way but if Randy and AWSOP are quailing, what chance do we mere mortals have? I got 3. Got Ramones (WECIB?) but lost the Kosman flip on Chic vs Rufus (Rose Royce did also occur to me).
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Quailing? I beg your pardon, I got five out of six on Friday. :lol:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
Woof

Post by Woof »

georgespelvin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:30 am Quailing? I beg your pardon, I got five out of six on Friday. :lol:
Brain cramp. My apologies. No quails were harmed in the making of this post. :mrgreen:
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:16 pm
SBurrus wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:31 am Meanwhile...I am really looking forward to the 1970s Music mini-league. Maybe because I grew up in that decade, I thought the 1970s had the best music ever made. Hopefully, the questions for that mini-league will align with my knowledge base.
Looks like this could be a brutal ML; 33% average get rate on MD1.... and that's only because one question had 76%.

When I saw that first question, I was thinking this was gonna be easy all the way -- surprised that "Raindrops..." had only a 76% get rate -- and then my reaction to the next 5 was: "huh?", "huh?", "huh?", "huh?" and..... "huh?" in no particular order. Took a wild guess with Paul McCartney and after some serious thought came up with Joni Mitchell/Leonard Cohen. The quote from The Ramones review was ridiculously obscure 45 years later.

I may have managed 3 right -- only 4 players in my group managed to get 3 or more -- but I'm: looking forward to the rest of the ML/NOT looking forward to the rest of the ML. Ambivalent.
I got "Raindrops" because TCM just aired "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" a couple of weeks ago; I had never seen that movie before and was surprised that "Raindrops Keep Falling On My Head" was from that film. Also got Chic and Pop Muzik. The Leonard Cohen/Joni Mitchell question was a ponderer; I thought about it and thought about it and knew the lyrics but could not come up with those two names.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Who else has been playing one of the MiniLeagues right now? I'm playing in the '70s Music ML and have loved it, although I'm having really bad luck. Despite having the most correct answers in my group with 43 I'm languishing in sixth place. Yesterday was the typical story: score a six-pack and only managed a tie. My current record is 3-2-4.
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:06 am Who else has been playing one of the MiniLeagues right now? I'm playing in the '70s Music ML and have loved it, although I'm having really bad luck. Despite having the most correct answers in my group with 43 I'm languishing in sixth place. Yesterday was the typical story: score a six-pack and only managed a tie. My current record is 3-2-4.
I’m playing the ‘70s Music ML and am in third in my group at 6-2-3 but no possibility of making Championships. Pretty much the same story in the World Cuisine ML.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:06 am Who else has been playing one of the MiniLeagues right now? I'm playing in the '70s Music ML and have loved it, although I'm having really bad luck. Despite having the most correct answers in my group with 43 I'm languishing in sixth place. Yesterday was the typical story: score a six-pack and only managed a tie. My current record is 3-2-4.
I’m playing the ‘70s Music ML and am in third in my group at 6-2-3 but no possibility of making Championships. Pretty much the same story in the World Cuisine ML.
You're in a tough group. Top two have 47 and 46 TCA!
Woof

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:09 am
Woof wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 10:27 am
You're in a tough group. Top two have 47 and 46 TCA!
Yup, I’ve felt good about my performance, getting Chaka Khan and Minnie Ripperton, for instance, but haven’t come close to those two.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I actually LOLed at the MCWA of Marcel Marceau for Q5 yesterday.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I got third in the swimming one day. That shouldn't be a big surprise to anyone who knows me.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm I actually LOLed at the MCWA of Marcel Marceau for Q5 yesterday.
I can name one mime so my choices were limited.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I don't know if this is an appropriate post, but this seems like the best thread for it. Somebody please give me a courtesy post or PM if I should not do this or any moderator please use your superpower :).

I just invited three of my siblings to join LL and I still have a handful of referrals for LL85 I can offer. I am not in the trivia ecosystem to know anybody personally so I don't know how to navigate the vetting process. I appreciated the "chance" that morbeedo took on me based on a few hundred inane posts and a couple of PM's.

I don't know the deadline for referrals. Invites go out starting the 28th. League registration deadline is 13 May. I'm looking forward to the family feud variant and getting drubbed in regular play. I stayed out of the ML's this time but did jump into the Science Feuds for an underwhelming 63rd percentile.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:52 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 1:00 pm I actually LOLed at the MCWA of Marcel Marceau for Q5 yesterday.
Fair enough. I just assumed someone who might be a "rival" of Marc Bolan's and later sang on his show would be primarily known as a singer rather than a mime. I'm sure most people who put down Marceau knew it was probably wrong but figured putting down the world's most well-known mime was better than nothing.

Another F-ing tie for me yesterday. I'm now 3-2-5 in this ML.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Apr 24, 2020 12:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:52 pm
Fair enough. I just assumed someone who might be a "rival" of Marc Bolan's and later sang on his show would be primarily known as a singer rather than a mime. I'm sure most people who put down Marceau knew it was probably wrong but figured putting down the world's most well-known mime was better than nothing.

Another F-ing tie for me yesterday. I'm now 3-2-5 in this ML.
Worth mentioning again -- it's come up on the board before -- that Marcel Marceau had the only speaking role in Mel Brooks' Silent Movie. (He says one word.. "No!")