Boardie Poll About Taking The Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What Has Been Your Experience With Jeopardy's Test?

I have been a contestant
23%
I am currently in the pool
13%
I have passed the test at least once and had an audition
35%
I have (as far as I know) passed the test at least once, but no audition
23%
I have taken, but not (as far as I know) passed the test
5%
I have not taken the test
1%

Total votes: 113

alietr
Site Admin

Boardie Poll About Taking The Test

Post by alietr »

I don't remember doing this before, but if we have, it's been a long time. So I'm expressing some curiosity about Boardies' experience with taking the test. Choose one option only.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Boardie Poll About Taking The Test

Post by triviawayne »

I'd like to add: How many times did you pass the test (35/50) as far as you know before you got your first audition?

How many times overall have you passed the test vs. how many auditions have you had?

for me, the answers are 11 times passing before first and only audition, making the answer to the 2nd question 11 and 1
Total game show career losings = $171,522
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I first took the test in April 2019 and did terribly, maybe something like 23/50.

I committed to studying and taking the next test window seriously and scored 46/50 in January 2020.

I also took the Anytime Test the first day it was available, and figured I scored around 42 or 43.

I'm now just waiting to see how the COVID-19 outbreak will affect the auditions and hoping it will still happen by summer.
lisa0012
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by lisa0012 »

I took the test 3 times and had 3 auditions. Never got the call, but Maggie was excited to see me back the last time so at least I'm not bombing (I think). Trying again this year, because why not. I'm sure I passed this one too, so we'll see what happens.
Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

I’ve taken the test 7 times (every year since 2013 except 2016) and I think have passed each. I know I’ve passed the last four for sure as I’ve kept track of them. No auditions yet, but it is what it is. So I keep on truckin’.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I just lost a long post. This will be the shorter (and perhaps more accessible) version.

My first in-person 50 question test was in 1995, at Merv Griffin's Resorts International in AC. I passed and did the usual mock game and interview afterward. I did not try again until it was possible to take it in NYC (where I live. I'd consider a train or bus to Boston or Philly, but in the AC days the process was two-phase, minimum of two trips). So I got an in-person in 2003, 2005, and 2007, followed by the usual and the usual (and then, alas, the usual). Since they instituted the online test, I've taken it, I think, every year but one (while still technically in the pool) and am pretty sure I passed them all (one time it was close) but as far as Robert and Maggie go, I have not gone.
I'm smart and I want respect.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/4 passing the test in 1995, 1997, 1999 and 2005. 0/3 getting THE CALL with Susanne Thurber in charge. 1/1 getting THE CALL with Maggie in the lead.

3/3 getting an audition in the 1990s when sending in one postcard. The process changed by 2005 and I had to fill out a short online application expressing interest in auditioning. From that I was selected for my fourth and final time. Cuts were made after the written test and it was photo, short talk, and mock game. A month later I got THE CALL from http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=5846

When I taped in July 2005 she was no longer working for J! and instead it was Tony Pandolfo doing some of the contestant wrangling.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Still early in my career LOL.

October '17 (College) - 35/50? I believe? - no audition
October '19 (College) - 42/50 - no audition
January '20 (Adult) - 44/50 - TBD
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

I took the test once (in 2008), got an audition, and sixteen months later I got The Call to be a contestant. After that, I ran out of luck and came in second.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I lived in Las Vegas from 1987 to 1990. During that time period, while visiting a friend who was going to USC, I went to the studio for the 50-question test but didn't make the cut.

I took the online test in 2007, 2010, and 2012 and was 3 for 3 in audition invitations (I have an inkling that females have an advantage here). After auditioning in May 2012, I got "the call" in early October. I've told the rest of the story before so I'll keep this post brief. Robert James was in charge of that audition (Corina Nusu was also there), and Robert is the one who called me. I think Maggie was at my Kansas City audition in 2010.
True North
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by True North »

Auditioned twice so far (2014 and 2017). Passed two other times without a response (2016 and one other time I don’t remember).
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

I've passed the test 5(?) times. The only audition invite I've ever gotten was when I was living overseas and couldn't make either it or the alternate date they sent me a few months later. So no option technically works--I've been offered an audition, but couldn't go. I went with passed but no audition.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

I failed the test miserably way back around 1985. I didn't take it again until 2001. That was when they still invited people at random to take the test in person. The coordinators then scored the test and announced which of the prospective contestants passed and could stay for the next phase, the audition. The first time I took the test, in Portland, Oregon, I was one of only three (out of seventy-plus) who passed the test, and so the audition process was over rather quickly. However, The Call never came.

I have since taken the online test several times. As far as I know, I passed each one. I've had four additional auditions—in Nashville, Raleigh, Cincinnati, and Memphis. Still no Call. Between Cincinnati and Memphis, I did not receive an invite four or five consecutive years.

My most recent eighteen months in the pool ended March 25. I'm hoping to be selected for an audition again this year, this time in Indianapolis, where my wife's mother and a couple of brothers live. I figure I can probably get a couple of nights of free lodging. ;)
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was in the pool for the 2005 college championship. I also auditioned for the adult show in 2008 after I passed the online test.

I have taken the online test almost every year since 2011 (I have missed taking it a few times in that span). A few times I bombed it, I was borderline on passing most years I think, and I passed it with confidence maybe 2 times during that span. But I have not had an in-person audition since 2008.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

I passed the in-person test four out of four times in the mid-2000s under the old "give us a phone call once a year and get on the list for the next session" system.

I've taken the online test at every opportunity, and gotten at least 35/50 each time (as far as I can tell), but have only been called to an in-person audition in 2008 and 2010.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I failed an in-person test in September 2005 and when the online test was rolled out in 2006 my understanding was that I wasn't allowed to take it due to having tested too recently. (I don't know if I understood correctly.) I took the online test for the first time (and only time while eligible) in 2007, auditioned that August, and then got The Call in February 2009.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Like Lefty, I took my first test in 1995, but in Memphis for the College Tournament. That was the only in-person test I didn't pass. The next one was also College in NC (Chapel Hill, I think) and then regular tests in West Palm Beach, Orlando, and Miami (twice). I've also had online test auditions in Miami and Tampa.
DysonSphere

Post by DysonSphere »

I've passed the test a few years now, but I've never received an audition invite. I hoped maybe this would be the year.

Not to threadjack, but does anyone know what the plan is for auditions in the age of COVID? I'm signed up for Boston. I've been checking several threads, but I haven't seen any information (maybe because there isn't any?).
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Started taking the online tests in ‘08, got an audition in ‘10 in Orlando. Continued “passing” online tests since then. Only other audition was at Trivia Nationals last year, so technically still in the pool.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 am I've passed the test a few years now, but I've never received an audition invite. I hoped maybe this would be the year.

Not to threadjack, but does anyone know what the plan is for auditions in the age of COVID? I'm signed up for Boston. I've been checking several threads, but I haven't seen any information (maybe because there isn't any?).
The only information we have at this time is auditions are suspended. There were invites out to Portland just before the suspension, but those auditions never happened.

With a report I saw yesterday regarding projections of what might happen, a certain amount of distancing measures could last until August. If that is true, at that time, the show might be able to start taping episodes again, and if that does become the timeline we see, I don't know how many auditions they will do as they are in a taping season, plus we might still have some distancing measures to deal with.

Anything we find out will end up in the 2020 North American Audition Tour thread.
Total game show career losings = $171,522