Tuesday, April 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Tuesday, April 7, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

Ha. And I recently started Sabrina on NetFlix.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

When the epi/pandemic clue came up, I was wondering which one they were looking for, but decided to "guess" PANdemic. A little surprised the writers didn't catch that ambiguous clue - it would be easy to fix. Just allude to "all" for pandemic or "upon/on" for epidemic. Although that would increase the difficulty of the clue, making it a trap....but they didn't seem to have a problem with trapping people (including me!) in the first row with -Mc-Nuggets.

I was happy to see that "What is Les Mis - Les Miserables" was allowed a (silent) BMS...I don't think I've ever said the full name when referring to it, but, like my collegiate rooting interest, I'm pretty sure I'd remember to formalize my answer after giving the informal name.

The menu category killed me for some reason. I got distracted by the "BAM BAM" slugger - I knew Denny's was Grand Slam, but didn't know the slugger was a variant of it, and the BAM-BAM just seemed...weird.

Precalled Death Valley for the lowest point in the US - I swear I saw that recently in a trivia show, but can't imagine it would be J!. Maybe The Q or HQ? The Millionaire beta?

And, judges - "out of the box" for "outside the box"? It's a variant on the Wiki page, so I'm scoring it.

As for FJ!....yeah, I got it, and it was the easiest one I've seen in awhile, I think. Didn't bother to write the MA, but the clue only asked for the town, not the state, and I don't think anyone would imagine a "Salem, Oregon" would exist in 1711. And, once again, it's a clue that actually could be attacked from several angles - the historical angle is the easy one, but John Proctor is familiar to anyone who's seen the Arthur Miller play, or watched one of the filmed adaptations.
Flealick
Contributor

Post by Flealick »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 10:43 pm Precalled Death Valley for the lowest point in the US - I swear I saw that recently in a trivia show, but can't imagine it would be J!. Maybe The Q or HQ? The Millionaire beta?
It was on The Wall, I think it was last's week episode (two guys from a church that got robbed)...I remember the contestant (a geography teacher) seemed very torn between that and Crater Lake.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

In J!, the writers screwed me up... One of my pet peeves... They wanted a nickname of the State of Washington, and referred to the college, Washington State. Their nick is "Cougars". They wanted "Evergreen", which refers to the State of Washington.

So, by the time my brain had shifted gears, they had buzzed in and given the response. :(

After all, I don't live in California State...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:13 am For the Florida vs. Florida St. contest it was no contest with Kayla the Gator easily besting Sophie the Seminole.
Damn straight!
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:15 am In J!, the writers screwed me up... One of my pet peeves... They wanted a nickname of the State of Washington, and referred to the college, Washington State. Their nick is "Cougars". They wanted "Evergreen", which refers to the State of Washington.

So, by the time my brain had shifted gears, they had buzzed in and given the response. :(

After all, I don't live in California State...
Surely you're aware that the state is often referred to as "Washington state" to distinguish it from Washington, D.C. And "Cougars" isn't a nickname for Washington State University; it's a nickname for people at (or alumni of) that university. There was nothing wrong with the clue.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Two-for-two, the underclassman prevails. Oh-for-three for the upperclassmen.

That arrhythmia flub was probably a "kick in the teeth" moment for Kayla, in which moments later, fell in the $800 OK Boomer trap by negging her response of Oklahoma on that clue. Come to think of it, the 4 clues that Kayla flubbed over were one of those "Oh no." moments. Especially where she completely disregarded the $1,000 clue in What"EV"er by saying Hiawatha.

This episode had three different players who are from Florida (St. Augustine, Longwood, Miami), although, two come from Florida schools, and one from the Ivy League. Strange to consider that this kind of thing hasn't happened in the quarterfinals in the Jeopardy! College Tournament at all.

Nathaniel played solid from beginning to end. Once he built a capitalizing lead early, he didn't take his foot off the gas AT ALL. It looked like Kayla was going to increase the pressure on Nathaniel late in the game, and almost pulled it off. I think she was trying to increase her chances to win by hedging her bet and hoped Nathaniel got it wrong. However, $16,501 seems strategic, although may have looked like she was trying to egg on a bit more on her wager when she could have bet $4,000 to be certain to win the game by $1 had Nathaniel got it wrong. I haven't got the slightest clue with the $4501 bet on Kayla's part. Maybe the extra $500 meant for something? I dunno...hard to tell what it was for. But...we probably will never know.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
slam
Auditioning Since 1985

Post by slam »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:25 am
Hugo Z wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:23 am Odd FJ wager from Kayla. Did she make a math error there?
We'll find out on Thursday or Friday unless she makes an online comment earlier. There are many individual targets and goals for wildcard scores. She may have felt 16500 was the spot to be above?
I felt that it was a reasonable wager for a QF match with a WC. Note that she wins that game if she gets FJ! and Nathaniel (Boola! Boola!) misses FJ! as long as he makes the normal lockout wager. And 16,500 should be a strong favorite to get a WC, anyway. If she misses FJ!, then she still has 7,499. Although that total is an underdog for a WC, it certainly wouldn't be shocking if it did lead to a WC.

I think I'd slightly prefer 4,001, but there's little practical difference between that wager and the one she made.

There have been a number of Yale graduates who have done extremely well on the show (Chuck Forrest, Alex Jacob and Matt Jackson pop into mind) but the school has never had a College Tournament winner. Is this the year?
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

A Wray wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:55 am ... Surely you're aware that the state is often referred to as "Washington state" to distinguish it from Washington, D.C. And "Cougars" isn't a nickname for Washington State University; it's a nickname for people at (or alumni of) that university. There was nothing wrong with the clue.
I wasn't saying the clue was wrong, just that this "Washington State" thing has always bothered me. The Washington that currently houses the Orange Voldemort should be called what it is, "Washington DC". Or District Of Columbia, or just DC.

"Washington State" should refer to the college.

The state should simply be called what it is, Washington.

Dorothy Gale lived in Kansas, not Kansas State. I live in California, not California State. I used to live in Oregon, not Oregon State. And so on...

I guess I'd have to make an exception for New York, tho... Only because the city is SO well-known that just saying "New York" will virtually always make the listener think of the city rather than the state. Besides, the state univ. of New York isn't officially called "New York State".

Yes, I was incorrect about Cougars being a nickname for the school specifically, but the fact remains that I think of the college when I hear the phrase "Washington State", and I see no reason why I shouldn't.
davey

Post by davey »

Nathaniel was almost half right in his response to
Claymores & scimitars are types of these

I've not heard of the sword before, but I did know that there's a kind of mine by that name. (Turns out it's named for the sword.) And bomb has a silent letter!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 pm Al-ba-ni-a, Al-ba-ni-a. You border on the A-dri-atic.

Gimme $2k for a Cheers fan.
We got to the point in our quarantine yesterday where we started streaming Cheers episodes from the beginning (I ran out of Mifune movies). The writing was so good back then. And Coach was great.

I've been to all five locations that were the responses to Countries' Lowest Points (though not necessarily at the location cited; I've been to the Pacific Ocean, for example, but not in Fiji).

I used to work in Salem, so that was an easier than easy get.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Golf wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:57 pm Al-ba-ni-a, Al-ba-ni-a. You border on the A-dri-atic.

Gimme $2k for a Cheers fan.
That’s how I got that one. Thanks Coach
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:09 am
A Wray wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:55 am ... Surely you're aware that the state is often referred to as "Washington state" to distinguish it from Washington, D.C. And "Cougars" isn't a nickname for Washington State University; it's a nickname for people at (or alumni of) that university. There was nothing wrong with the clue.
I wasn't saying the clue was wrong, just that this "Washington State" thing has always bothered me. The Washington that currently houses the Orange Voldemort should be called what it is, "Washington DC". Or District Of Columbia, or just DC.

"Washington State" should refer to the college.

The state should simply be called what it is, Washington.

Dorothy Gale lived in Kansas, not Kansas State. I live in California, not California State. I used to live in Oregon, not Oregon State. And so on...

I guess I'd have to make an exception for New York, tho... Only because the city is SO well-known that just saying "New York" will virtually always make the listener think of the city rather than the state. Besides, the state univ. of New York isn't officially called "New York State".

Yes, I was incorrect about Cougars being a nickname for the school specifically, but the fact remains that I think of the college when I hear the phrase "Washington State", and I see no reason why I shouldn't.
Uphill battle you're going to be fighting there...

https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/corona ... CL75367PU/
all of which are essential to save lives and curb the COVID-19 public health emergency in Washington State,” the lawmakers said.
https://www.kiro7.com/news/local/copays ... KL5MAZDUI/
Copays and deductibles for coronavirus testing waived by emergency order in Washington state
I think the lowercase variant is the correct one, though, like in the second usage. Not 100% certain though.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

Those states don't share their names with the nation's capital.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Washington = Evergreen State is a very common Jeopardy Pavlov.

Furthermore, if the writers were pointing to the college in the clue, it would have read Washington State University. Washington State is incomplete.
Rackme32

Post by Rackme32 »

Right or wrong or somewhere in-between, "Washington State" when not referring to the college grates on my nerves *every* time, and always will.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Forgive me, Andy, or move it to that other thread.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 7:32 pm Absolutely not even a WAG on FJ! My only thought was "Absolutely couldn't be Salem, it was way too late for that."
SeinfeldJ wrote:If every instinct you have is wrong, then the opposite... must be correct.
ETA:
CostanzaG wrote:My little man is an idiot!
In and out of the pool four times
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

59 R (Missed Knives Out.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Evangeline, Swords, (Arrhythmia), (Watership Down), Ridiculous, Run It Up the Flagpole, Sense and Sensibility
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bump in case any new comments are warranted or for anyone to do like I do and only look over the FJ! clue again.

That one polled at 100/101.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 10:03 am That one polled at 100/101.
Looking through old threads for no particular reason. This is like the fourth time I've spoiled a perfecto, isn't it?