Boardie Poll About Taking The Test

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

What Has Been Your Experience With Jeopardy's Test?

I have been a contestant
23%
I am currently in the pool
13%
I have passed the test at least once and had an audition
35%
I have (as far as I know) passed the test at least once, but no audition
23%
I have taken, but not (as far as I know) passed the test
5%
I have not taken the test
1%

Total votes: 113

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Boardie Poll About Taking The Test

Post by talkingaway »

DysonSphere wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:28 am I've passed the test a few years now, but I've never received an audition invite. I hoped maybe this would be the year.

Not to threadjack, but does anyone know what the plan is for auditions in the age of COVID? I'm signed up for Boston. I've been checking several threads, but I haven't seen any information (maybe because there isn't any?).
You mean Providence, I assume? Me too - I passed (AFAIK, assuming 35+ even on the easiest test, which was Tuesday), and haven't heard a thing. But from what I recall on the other thread about auditions, they had JUST started running the audition bus, and only sent out notices to one city.

The wide variation of invites is fascinating - some people are "lucky", and some aren't - makes me think that audition city is a HUGE factor.

I took the online test maybe once or twice as a lark in the 2010s, without really watching the show much, and probably failed miserably. Started getting back into J! as some childhood nostalgia just this season, and passed the test the first "real" attempt this year in January. Took the anytime test, but didn't beat my original score, so never locked it in.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I took my first in person test for the Teen Tournament probably 23 years ago when Suzanne was in charge. Back then you had to send in a postcard. You took an in person test, and only those that passed remained. Over the years I auditioned in person about 5 or 6 times besides Trivia Nationals in person. My last in person audition from the online test was in 2011, the same year I started my current job (which was two blocks away from the audition). I had taken the online test since every time and never got picked again to try out.

In terms of auditions this year, my pessimistic view is that they are not going to want to endanger their crew or applicants by having them travel and gather in large groups this year. In terms of taping when it starts back up, I think we are going to see Jeopardy! - LA contestant edition for awhile as airline travel will not be back to normal for awhile, and they will want flexibility with contestant availability on less notice than normal.
earendel

Post by earendel »

I've been at this since 2002.
2002 Cincinnati - online application, chosen for audition, took test and passed
2003 Louisville - Brain Bus came to town, took 10-question test, passed, went to audition, took 50-question test, passed
2004 Nashville - online registration, chosen for audition, took test and passed
2005 Chicago - online registration, chosen for audition, took test and passed
2006 Indianapolis - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2008 Chicago - took online test but lost power during test
2009 Chicago - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2011 Lexington - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2012 Chicago - took online test, passed, received invitation to audition
2015 Kansas City - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2016 Oklahoma City - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2017 *** (audition city chosen by tester's ZIP code) - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2017 Chicago - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition (IIRC this was a 2nd chance due to the Sony hack)
2018 Cleveland - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2019 Nashville - took online test, passed, no invitation to audition
2020 Indianapolis - took online test, passed, waiting to hear
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Count me among the extremely lucky group who should probably go buy a lottery ticket. Watched Jeopardy for decades until wife and daughter pretty much gave me an ultimatum -- either take the test or stop talking to the TV.

Took the online test in October 2014, auditioned in March 2015. Nothing but crickets after the audition during the 18-month window. Took another online test October 2016. Got the call in November 2016, 20 months after my only audition. Taped in December 2016, aired in March 2017. Two and a half years from first test to air date with one audition.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Given these difficult times, I'm reminded that my first audition was on September 12th, 2001, back when Los Angeles locals could grab a spot to take the test at the studio and, if you passed the test, stay on for an audition. It was a rather odd day to be concentrating on trying to get on a game show.

Anyway.... I passed the test, absolutely blew the audition (and did so again 2 years later), decided to learn from my mistakes and then got the call more than a year after a 2007 audition.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I'm still not ready to talk about it.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

My husband signed us both up for the online test. This was his longtime dream, not mine at all, so of course I ended up getting the invite. I auditioned during a historic Chicago Snowpocalypse in March, got The Call that summer, taped in August. One test, one audition, and one helluva blur.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Audition in early 2004, I figure I dodged the Ken Jennings bullet.

Online test every year for 10+ years, I've always been 1-2 on either side of 35. Thought I bombed the test last year, but got invited to an audition! In the pool now, studying hard. If I have to take the test again, pretty confident I can get well above 40.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Took the test in 98 before online - passed the in-person weed out, and did the mock game.

Did the online test every time it was offered in Canada, auditioned in 2008 in Toronto. Passed the online test every time.

Did the in-person test at Trivia Nationals in Aug 2019. Failed that test for the first time... Though I suspect the needed score were different for that test.
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

Auditioned for Kids Week pre-online test in 2005, took (and failed) the teen online test in 2010 and 2011, passed the college online test and had an audition in 2013, and have taken the adult test a couple times after that.
pompetti

Post by pompetti »

The poll is missing an option:

I got the call but can't tape due to COVID-19
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

Tested once. Maybe twice? I think twice. Passed as many times as I took it.

Got invited to audition in June 2012 based off the January 2012 test.

Successfully conned everyone into believing I was charming, gregarious, interesting, and extroverted, and thus they made the fatal mistake of putting me on television at the end of March 2013. You can check the archive from there.
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
RoJo
Contributor

Post by RoJo »

Passed the test every time taken.
Auditioned Columbus 2004; Pittsburgh 2007; Chicago 2010; Detroit 2013; Cleveland 2018.
DavidRosen
Valued Contributor

Post by DavidRosen »

NYCScribbler wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 12:52 pm Successfully conned everyone into believing I was charming, gregarious, interesting, and extroverted, and thus they made the fatal mistake of putting me on television at the end of March 2013. You can check the archive from there.
That is the key for the auditions. I took the test during the Art Fleming days, and did well enough to wind up with Art James on the Who, What or Where Game. Blanked on the name of the bridge over the Arno, and that was that.

Took it again in Atlantic City, and got into the audition round. Being too-clever-by-half wasn't the key to getting The Call. Took it online numerous times before getting another audition. This time I was as charming as I can possibly be. If it took one more ounce of charm, I didn't have it. Got
The Call a few weeks later. Lost to Gilbert Collins.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

boson wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:53 am Took the test in 98 before online - passed the in-person weed out, and did the mock game.

Did the online test every time it was offered in Canada, auditioned in 2008 in Toronto. Passed the online test every time.

Did the in-person test at Trivia Nationals in Aug 2019. Failed that test for the first time... Though I suspect the needed score were different for that test.
It's been confirmed elsewhere that they raised the bar for that one, although we don't know how high over the standard 35 they raised it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 3:41 pm
boson wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 10:53 am Took the test in 98 before online - passed the in-person weed out, and did the mock game.

It's been confirmed elsewhere that they raised the bar for that one, although we don't know how high over the standard 35 they raised it.
I felt I didn't do well on the test, but I suspect I got about 40 correct.
Jeffreygallup
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Jeffreygallup »

Took the test 9 times including the anytime test; four in-person auditions, from 2007 to 2018. First was a brain-bus event in Phoenix; second San Diego following online test; third was at TCONA in 2011, where all who showed up were auditioned; fourth was Phoenix again based on an online test.
Shaymin
Valued Contributor

Post by Shaymin »

Took the test every year barring the one where Canadians were of questionable status.

Passed at least once (2013) but the audition invite went to my spam folder and I missed the chance to audition. Haven't passed since as far as I can tell.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

Passed the test in late 2016 and March 2019 and got auditions both times, April of 2017 and May of last year. Not sure what covid will do to the chances of those still in the pool though.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MasterCone wrote: Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:57 pm Passed the test in late 2016 and March 2019 and got auditions both times, April of 2017 and May of last year. Not sure what covid will do to the chances of those still in the pool though.
Pool is frozen along with taping. So if taping stops for 3 months, your window is 21 months instead of 18...