Wednesday, April 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 8, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
She published under her middle name; her first name was Nelle, Ellen backward in honor of her grandmother Ellen Finch

Alistair Gray: 400-399=1
Londyn Lorenz: 19400+1401=20801 (Semi-Finalist)
Kylie Weaver: 10400-8400=2000

Correct response:
Spoiler
Harper Lee (Alistair – Dickinson) (Kylie – Who I ?)
Note: Londyn had Harper Lee, but just Lee is fine.

Daily Doubles
Alistair: 1400-1400
Kylie; 8200+3000
Alistair: 6200-6200

Coryats
Alistair: 8000
Londyn: 19400
Kylie: 8600

Combined: 36,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Alistair: 600
Londyn: 7400
Kylie: 3400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MTGcollegestudent gets his wish with another underclassman winning, but not a dude this time.

Kylie took the J! test on a whim and $5000 (Yeah, not officially eliminated yet) is not bad for doing something on a lark.

Alistair was 0/3 on big clues so tough to make the second week that way. It was nice he got clue 30 for $400 to make the FJ! round after losing the farm on DD3.

My bad having four precalls off the FJ! category and making them all men. Twain, Fitzgerald, Poe and (Sinclair) Lewis are J! favorites, but the correct response is very popular in tournaments as well. The last word in the clue is the key word and from there I matched Londyn for a quick solve.

Two geography/history types and one literature so far for the QF round. More lit tomorrow? Art? Science? I expect something in the area of traditional Trivial Pursuit categories.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Let's see, why would they have added the full name "Ellen Finch" when the clue could've just as easily ended after the word "grandmother"...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6598

The students are still having trouble laying off the incorrect responses when buzzing in.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This was certainly harder than the first two but not super-difficult. But if you don’t make the connection with grandma’s name you’re sunk. I did waste some time trying to make sense of her name being spelled backwards. However, given her book’s popularity in high school English, it would be a fine Teen Tournament FJ.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

What a weird final. Nearly every word is irrelevant except for the last one.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

hanzz wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:27 pm What a weird final. Nearly every word is irrelevant except for the last one.
Yep. Said that same thing aloud while watching. Clue could just as effectively have been “She *noise* Finch.” I suspect that Alistair and Kylie got lost in the verbose nature of the clue, unfortunately.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

"Red Bull" was one of the most baffling top-box TSes ever. I was expecting someone to neg with Monster.

NHO "Hotline Bling" to my knowledge. I ended up completely bombing that category.

Bit down on the Frank Lloyd Wright negbait on Architecture for $2,000. WHY DO I ALWAYS GO FOR NEGBAIT EVERY SINGLE TIME?!

Also 0/5 in History.

Not even the slightest bit of a WAG on FJ! I pored over this clue for a good five minutes and nothing stuck out as a TOM at all. What even WAS the tipoff, anyway?!

Lach Trash: Swan, Red Bull, seder, flashlight
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

hanzz wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:27 pm What a weird final. Nearly every word is irrelevant except for the last one.
LOL, I just texted to a friend: "blah blah blah Finch = Harper Lee"
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 5:22 pm This was certainly harder than the first two but not super-difficult. But if you don’t make the connection with grandma’s name you’re sunk. I did waste some time trying to make sense of her name being spelled backwards. However, given her book’s popularity in high school English, it would be a fine Teen Tournament FJ.
I knew Harper Lee's first name was Nelle because she goes by that name in the movie Capote.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:x :D :D on DDs. Went for New Mexico as well.
OK, a FJ! which actually made me think for a few seconds. :mrgreen:
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:51 pm Not even the slightest bit of a WAG on FJ! I pored over this clue for a good five minutes and nothing stuck out as a TOM at all. What even WAS the tipoff, anyway?!
Finch, the last name of the major characters in To Kill a Mockingbird, Lee’s most famous novel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

nserven wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:33 pm
I knew Harper Lee's first name was Nelle because she goes by that name in the movie Capote.
Now I finally understand why that was the case. It had me mystified.
davey

Post by davey »

GettysburgPhillyFan wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:38 pm
Yep. Said that same thing aloud while watching. Clue could just as effectively have been “She *noise* Finch.” I suspect that Alistair and Kylie got lost in the verbose nature of the clue, unfortunately.
I'll use that as my excuse. I'm sure I've read that her first name was Nelle, but I didn't recall it today, nor did I focus on the last name. I spent most of the :30 trying to figure the significance of the backward name... :oops:

For
Having gained the title, a new king does this to the throne
isn't succeed just as good as accede...?
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TKAM is one of my favorite books, so this was an instaget. It also hits the J! tradition of multimedia clues - yes, it's ultimately a literature clue and you have to know the author, but it's also an acclaimed movie that's on a lot of AFI lists, another J! love. (Alex himself loves the movies shown on American Movie Classics, I hear.) And, of course, it's been in the news lately because of the recent play that is...well, was...on Broadway, and will hopefully be touring...uh, sometime soon. Plus, Harper Lee was in the news 5 years ago with the sequel/first draft, Go Set a Watchman.

But yeah, the FJ! clue itself was a little awkward. Gregory Peck as Atticus Finch is another Pavlov, but I agree that I stared at the clue like a dog trying to do calculus until I saw the last word.

As a math geek, I found it a bit weird that they put the 0th term of the Fibonacci sequence up there, but...okay.

A clue about toilet paper. Heh. This makes me wonder - if J! is predicting what will happen in the future as it has for the past two nights, and there are no episodes of J! being recorded now...

I'm old enough to have answered "Quik" instead of "Nesquik". And, yes, it's a correct answer - I found a picture of a banana "Nestle Quik" tin. Never tried the banana, but I do remember Saturday morning cartoons umaking hot chocolate with Quik. You had to use the spoon to pry the metal circle off the tin, or risk cutting your finger.

Negged big time with "Degrassi: The Next Generation", with Degrassi High. Again, I'm old. If they were nice, they would have asked for the franchise and/or school name.

The Red Bull clue seemed weird to me - I guessed it since it's the OG energy drink AFAIK. But c'mon, this...is...Jeopardy! There's a really obvious trivia fact you can squeeze in to make it specifically Red Bull...mention the big ingredient TAURINE!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 10:53 pm The Red Bull clue seemed weird to me - I guessed it since it's the OG energy drink AFAIK. But c'mon, this...is...Jeopardy! There's a really obvious trivia fact you can squeeze in to make it specifically Red Bull...mention the big ingredient TAURINE!
Taurine's common in energy drinks. Not specific at all. The smaller than typical 250mL can size is better.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Is there a curse on players that try to copy James and do the all-in push? I think I've seen several players proceed to lose after that but it could be my selective memory.
mas3cf wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:12 pm blah blah blah Finch = Harper Lee

Yep. Math checks out.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Dammit...Mark beat me to it. And that's even before I logged on.

Well, he's got two things right. 3-for-3 for the underclassmen winning, and 0-and-4 for the upperclassmen losing. Is it just me, or have the underclassmen been brighter than usual in this year's college championship?

I feel bad for Alistair, given his predicament, and especially where he spent so much time trying to catch up when he basically got outbuzzed by his competitors. That was such an aggressive move on his part to go all-in on the DD and get back in the game, but it was a shame that he missed it. I thought he was going to finish the game with $0 after the miss, but it seemed like the girls were kind enough to allow Alistair to get the one clue remaining.

That being said, I thought Kylie had the right idea to be assertive and go for the win had Londyn got FJ! wrong, unfortunately she blanked at the wrong time and cost herself not only a potential wildcard spot, but possibly making her case to be the 3rd semifinalist.

I'm surprised FJ! was a solo get. The word "Finch" surely was a dead giveaway, and it stumped not only the upperclassman, but the other sophomore as well. I would be surprised if the sophomore were to win tomorrow and create a 4-for-4 in this series of quarterfinals. In fact, it'd be wild if the quarterfinal winners were all sophomores. However, it's hard to predict what will happen after this week. We'll just have to wait and find out because there is still hope for wildcard possibilities at large. Anything can happen.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.