Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bigdogstalfos
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Fun with GSN's "Master Minds"

Post by Bigdogstalfos »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:54 pm
There have been several posts between this and last season about prospective contestants not making the cut due to knowing at least one of the experts. No way Brad will be a contestant on this show. There are still plenty of other trivia greats available good enough to become a Master Mind to stand by Ken.

If there is a tie after the five bonus round questions then just the contestant faces one question (not multiple choice) to either win the $10,000 or go home.
How does the whole becoming an expert thing work? If you win three times, are you just added to a pool and can get called up or do you have to do something else?
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 4:04 pm http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=11401 was on today's episode.
Thanks, player page updated. When watching the show I knew he was familiar and was hopeful that within the couple of posts I noticed that came in after Eastern viewing and before I could watch out here would i.d. Joe.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bigdogstalfos wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:43 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 07, 2020 1:54 pm
There have been several posts between this and last season about prospective contestants not making the cut due to knowing at least one of the experts. No way Brad will be a contestant on this show. There are still plenty of other trivia greats available good enough to become a Master Mind to stand by Ken.

If there is a tie after the five bonus round questions then just the contestant faces one question (not multiple choice) to either win the $10,000 or go home.
How does the whole becoming an expert thing work? If you win three times, are you just added to a pool and can get called up or do you have to do something else?
Winning three bonus rounds against an expert is sufficient to prove one's worthiness. On at least one future episode that civilian promoted would be one of the experts. Talk and no action for BETS last season. We'll see if this new incarnation can see it happen.
billiej

Post by billiej »

I agree the show is much improved. The only exception is the final round, where I think I liked the old one better. They need to come up with a way that we don't have to hear the same 5 questions 3 times.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Comments and spoilers about the 4/8 show:
Spoiler
Debra McKee-Fowler for the one barely shown as time ran out on the contestant side of round three is Little Debbie.

Wow, Jonathan beat Ken head-to head in round three when Ken began with a narrow lead.

Some tough stuff in the final round with the pyramids country, cabinet department and Iowa city.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

billiej wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:10 pm I agree the show is much improved. The only exception is the final round, where I think I liked the old one better. They need to come up with a way that we don't have to hear the same 5 questions 3 times.
I was thinking the exact same thing. Why not go with the Win Ben Stein's Money format? 10 raid fire questions, host answers with yes or no, only repeated once, say the missed ones at the very end. Even time for comedic chit chat and it takes the same amount of time with twice the questions. I miss that show a lot.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm Comments and spoilers about the 4/8 show:
Spoiler
Debra McKee-Fowler for the one barely shown as time ran out on the contestant side of round three is Little Debbie.

Wow, Jonathan beat Ken head-to head in round three when Ken began with a narrow lead.

Some tough stuff in the final round with the pyramids country, cabinet department and Iowa city.
Spoiler
Agreed that the pyramids and Iowa questions were ridiculous, but if you've ever noticed the key and scales on the seal on a dollar bill, that cabinet question wasn't too bad.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

teapot37 wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 9:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:37 pm Comments and spoilers about the 4/8 show:
Spoiler

Spoiler
Agreed that the pyramids and Iowa questions were ridiculous, but if you've ever noticed the key and scales on the seal on a dollar bill, that cabinet question wasn't too bad.
Spoiler
I thought scales was brutal negbait for Justice.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

After today's game, hopefully they consider
Spoiler
penalizing contestants for incorrect responses in the third round.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Stats after the 4/6 - 4/10 GSN games. Preview game on YouTube is not included.
Spoiler

Appearances
Jonathan: 5
Ken: 5
Muffy: 5

Bonus Round Outright Wins
Ken: 3

Bonus Round Losses
Muffy: 1

Bonus Round Ties
Jonathan: 1 (Contestant Missed Tiebreaker)

Master Mind Bonus Round Average Score (Out of possible 5)
Ken: 5 (3 times)
Jonathan: 3 (1 time)
Muffy: 3 (1 time)

Bonus Round Wins By Contestant
4/10 - Marshall (4-3 against Muffy)

Master Mind Wins Against Other Master Minds
Ken: 3
Jonathan: 1

Master Mind Eliminated After Second Round
Muffy: 3
Jonathan: 2
Ken: 0

Master Mind Runner-Up Against Other Master Minds
Jonathan: 2
Ken: 2

Average 3-Round Score Per Appearance
Ken: 4580
Jonathan: 2220
Muffy: 2040
Anything else to include that is reasonably simple to track?
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Harry lives down the road from me but I never see him at Quigley’s Pub Trivia. I was rooting for him but he missed a pretty easy Olympics question.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Brooke introduces the show as "A Game of Trivia, Smarts, and Strategy". I'm curious as to what strategy is involved in the show.

I've gotten to the point where I only watch the last third of that last round. It's a waste of time to listen to each question three times.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 4:36 pm http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=12456 was on today's episode.
His page is updated.

Comments on the 4/15 game:
Spoiler
Tough loss for Jonathan with just enough time for David to take it at the end. Good duel with Ken vs. Muffy. I used up all my brain power to recall the scale guy in the bonus round that I had nothing left to get the birthstone in reasonable time, though had the duh moment by the time the master mind played it.

Ken has yet (if it ever happens) to get bounced after the second round while Muffy and Jonathan have four apiece.
LucarioSnooperVixey

I knew Jerry looked familiar.

Marshall looked a bit different when he was on Master Minds. He had a beard when he was on Jeopardy!
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All pages updated. Thanks x 3.
LucarioSnooperVixey

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:03 pm
Marshall won $10,000. Not $1,000.
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:03 pm
Marshall won $10,000. Not $1,000.
0 added. Thanks.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I do find it funny that
Spoiler
they correctly pronounce "t-u-r-q-u-O-I-S-E" as 'turkoyz', but then think that "v-i-c-h-y-s-s-O-I-S-E" ends in a '-swah' and not the correct '-swoz'.