Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:08 pm
RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:50 pm
Spoiler
Volante wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 11:15 am
RandyG wrote: Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:45 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:16 pm

LotF while I was thinking TZ.

I thought of that episode too.... and I just happened to watch it two nights ago on Hulu.

ETA: OK, Twilight Zone fans... Burgess Meredith is tied among actors for the most starring roles in original TZ episodes, with 4. (Other actors have appeared in more than 4, but in bit roles.) Aside from Henry Bemis in "Time Enough At Last" (above), name any of the other 3. A general description other than exact character names or episode titles is perfectly sufficient.
I can do one...
Spoiler
He plays a librarian who's hidden away a bible and sentenced to death by having his apartment collapse on him along with the person who sentenced him
Yup, that's a good one. Now I'll have to watch that one too....along with probably another 150 episodes.

Remember, if you're old enough, when tv series had a minimum of 30 episodes per year, and barely half of them were broadcast again? Summer rerun season, anyone? And no recording equipment, no video stores, no inter....um, net?
Looked up the other two. I know one episode, didn't remember he was the lead. Haven't seen the other;
Spoiler
Netflix doesn't have season 4 (the double length season) for some reason.
Probably a rights issue; wherever TZ has streamed over the years, Season 4 was always an outlier. Hulu does currently have it, though.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

The SyFy channel has shown the Season 4 episodes on occasion during its twice a year marathons.
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

On Facebook I got a friend suggestion for Maggie Speak. Now there's a sure way to make sure that I never get called to be on the show. :roll:
I used to be AWSOP but wanted to be more theatrical.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

georgespelvin wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:32 am On Facebook I got a friend suggestion for Maggie Speak. Now there's a sure way to make sure that I never get called to be on the show. :roll:
I got the same suggestion, which I declined. However, I believe Maggie has left the show, so it might be less consequential.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I was really really considering putting this under Current Events, but I should try to set an example.

Earliest documented usage of F-word found in compilation of, what else, Scottish poems.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/04/ ... he-f-word/
The Bannatyne Manuscript gets its name from a young 16th-century Edinburgh merchant named George Bannatyne, who compiled the roughly 400 poems while stuck at home in late 1568, as the plague ravaged his city. It's an anthology of Scottish literature, particularly the texts of poems by some of the country's greatest bards (known as makars) in the 15th and 16th centuries.
Dunbar and Kennedy supposedly faced off for a flyting in the court of James IV of Scotland around 1500, and their exchange was set down for posterity in Bannatyne's manuscript. In the poem, Dunbar makes fun of Kennedy's Highland dialect, for instance, as well as his personal appearance, and he suggests his opponent enjoys sexual intercourse with horses. Kennedy retaliates with attacks on Dunbar's diminutive stature and lack of bowel control, suggesting his rival gets his inspiration from drinking "frogspawn" from the waters of a rural pond. You get the idea.

And then comes the historic moment: an insult containing the phrase "wan fukkit funling," marking the earliest known surviving record of the F-word.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

The Saturday 4/11/20 NYT crossword puzzle.

41A: Catchers of flies (5)

First basemen run out into right field to catch flies using their MITTS? To me I always think of "flies" in the baseball sense as in the outfield and those players use gloves. That clue was the least of my problems in struggling through the (Erik Agard & Wyna Liu) puzzle to get it all right while only using my noggin.

There may be others (not on this board of course) that will find their Saturday solve as a DNF or visit to Google.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:24 pm The Saturday 4/11/20 NYT crossword puzzle.

41A: Catchers of flies (5)

First basemen run out into right field to catch flies using their MITTS? To me I always think of "flies" in the baseball sense as in the outfield and those players use gloves. That clue was the least of my problems in struggling through the (Erik Agard & Wyna Liu) puzzle to get it all right while only using my noggin.

There may be others (not on this board of course) that will find their Saturday solve as a DNF or visit to Google.
Yeah, Erik and Wyna came up with a real doozy today. I finished it, but it was much more of a struggle than a typical Saturday. I interpreted that clue as "someone who catches" rather than the specific baseball position of "catcher". And a catcher can catch a pop fly or an infield fly. But my explanation makes sense.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Definitely this one:
Spoiler
Age 79
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:53 pm I see Opus is enjoying his time off...

https://twitter.com/shedd_aquarium/stat ... 1006185478
Actually, I never left Kansas City:

https://www.kansascityzoo.org/ouranimal ... g-penguin/

I'm the one on the middle left.

Anyway, it's good to be back on JBoard, but I notice we're in the middle of a college tournament? I'll want to see the quarterfinals before I watch this week's set of eps. So it'll be another week before I join in the regular game day discussions.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was watching Cash Cab the other day, and this disclaimer screen appeared at the end. The way I read them, the first and last sentences are mutually exclusive. Am I missing something?

Cash Cab.jpg
Cash Cab.jpg (97.19 KiB) Viewed 6925 times
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:54 am I was watching Cash Cab the other day, and this disclaimer screen appeared at the end. The way I read them, the first and last sentences are mutually exclusive. Am I missing something?
Subterfuge!

From Wikipedia: "Some contestants are randomly picked as they walk along the sidewalk, while others are selected in advance. Even so, those picked in advance are told that the cab is supposed to take them to the show on which they will appear. The cab turns out to be the show itself."
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:01 am
alietr wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:54 am I was watching Cash Cab the other day, and this disclaimer screen appeared at the end. The way I read them, the first and last sentences are mutually exclusive. Am I missing something?
Subterfuge!

From Wikipedia: "Some contestants are randomly picked as they walk along the sidewalk, while others are selected in advance. Even so, those picked in advance are told that the cab is supposed to take them to the show on which they will appear. The cab turns out to be the show itself."
Hmmm. Kinda iffy, but that does explain what they're getting at (inartfully, in my opinion).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Austin Rogers was on Cash Cab and did pretty well. It looks like the video has been taken down because I can't it online right now.

I'm pretty sure when I saw that video somebody on the internet mentioned that he was a pre-screened contestant and not a randomly picked guy.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:55 pm It looks like the video has been taken down because I can't it online right now.
It is still there. It just got unlisted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yI5WTIN ... e=youtu.be
Douglas Squasoni
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I learned something interesting last night. My wife bought a Polycom conference phone since she's been doing lots of virtual meetings lately. While setting it up the instructions mentioned using it in "POTS mode." I wasn't familiar with the acronym, but my wife knew it: plain old telephone service, i.e. analog phone over copper wires.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:59 pm I learned something interesting last night. My wife bought a Polycom conference phone since she's been doing lots of virtual meetings lately. While setting it up the instructions mentioned using it in "POTS mode." I wasn't familiar with the acronym, but my wife knew it: plain old telephone service, i.e. analog phone over copper wires.
Ahh, the glory days of the phone system...when they had to flip the orientation of the numbers when buttons came out cause 10-key typists broke phone exchanges :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 12:59 pm I learned something interesting last night. My wife bought a Polycom conference phone since she's been doing lots of virtual meetings lately. While setting it up the instructions mentioned using it in "POTS mode." I wasn't familiar with the acronym, but my wife knew it: plain old telephone service, i.e. analog phone over copper wires.
The counterpart is PANS: pretty amazing new stuff.
In and out of the pool four times
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

reddpen wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 3:53 pm
The counterpart is PANS: pretty amazing new stuff.
Love it :D
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I don't know what's funnier? The long post listing all the dates of unarchived season one games or imagining Myron's reaction when he saw the post that led to his comment? :lol:
Golf

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:29 pm I don't know what's funnier? The long post listing all the dates of unarchived season one games or imagining Myron's reaction when he saw the post that led to his comment? :lol:
I think his head went kablam.

kablamfan11 wrote: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:30 pm We do not allow profanity on this page.
I want to know who this "we" is.