Monday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

1stlvlthinker
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: MoNday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by 1stlvlthinker »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 pm
I'm glad I didn't have "ultimate Frisbee" at the tip of my tongue, because I would have buzzed in with it instead of "disc golf".
I did have it on the tip of my tongue, but noticed the DG in the CDGNC before I would have answered.
Now swimming in the J! pool.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Moday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Volante »

John Boy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:11 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 5:43 pm Reincarnation is pretty ingrained into the general mindset so not being religious shouldn’t be an excuse for missing it. I don’t even think of it as a religious concept.

A strong performance by all three players. I hope they keep it up tomorrow.
And even if you don't recognize it based on "religious concept," I would expect people to be able to parse it out from the Latin word for flesh, which gives us English words such as carnivore and, yes, Carnival.
Carne asada...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

In the music category, Vampire Weekend was completely unfamiliar, Queen I got, and the other three I recognized as frequent Sporcle misses.

Nice get on Athos, I thought. I guess he's usually listed first of the three, but I knew Porthos was the portly one, and I figured that takes time.

Ultimate Frisbee was big in my high school (so I wasn't). I also though noticed the lack of a U among the initials.

I seldom make it to Mandir or Chaitya-griha, but didn't feel terribly handicapped in FJ.
I'm smart and I want respect.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:34 pm
John Boy wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:16 pm ...
As usual I never heard of any of the 5 songs OR groups in the music category. Now I can go back to yelling at people to get off my lawn.
9/10 of your never heard of them I can buy. Never heard of the group Queen? C'mon no matter how much classical music you listen to while reading the Bible that has to be impossible.

I don't know how to pinpoint a search for the most recent Queen clue prior to today though I picked one. For the other four acts these should be it.

#8146, aired 2020-01-27 HIT MUSIC OF TODAY $400: In 2019 adult contemporary fans sure wanted to know "Girls Like You" from this Adam Levine band

#7294, aired 2016-05-05 TEACHERS $2000: Ezra Koenig cut short his teaching career when this quartet that he fronts got a record deal

#7827, aired 2018-09-25 QUEEN'S CONCERT $1200: Queen has been touring with this "American Idol" alumnus as front man, seen here with Brian May

#7977, aired 2019-04-23 WE WILL ROCK YOU $1000: In November 2018 this band flew high with 12 of 50 songs on the Hot Rock Songs chart, including "Bandito", "Morph" & "My Blood"

#8072, aired 2019-10-15 POP CULTURE $1200: Taylor Swift's song "Me!" features Brendon Urie of this band that's got an exclamation point in its name!

From today's category I got $400 & $1200 and negged on the $800 while definitely having heard of all the acts through other places outside of J! clues. I don't care enough to listen to the songs from today's clues to see if they are familiar though I know 3 of them are for sure.
OK, I've heard of Queen. But that exhausts my knowledge of their music.
DanKirshner
Contributor

Re: MoNday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DanKirshner »

1stlvlthinker wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:45 pm
talkingaway wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:24 pm
I'm glad I didn't have "ultimate Frisbee" at the tip of my tongue, because I would have buzzed in with it instead of "disc golf".
I did have it on the tip of my tongue, but noticed the DG in the CDGNC before I would have answered.
I am a long-time Frisbee player, mostly Ultimate but also disc golf, yet I missed getting this clue. I have never heard of the CDGNC, albeit I am long way away from being a college student. Had they used PDGA (Professional Disc Golf Association - yes there is such a thing) this would have been an instaget.
twelvefootboy

Re: Monday, April 13, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by twelvefootboy »

floridagator wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:03 pm Youse people who thought the Tyler was Cock of the Walk after the quarter-finals last week. I was waiting most of the game for the other shoe to drop on him. I was thinking it was curtains when he was behind going into FJ and especially when I saw what an easy clue it was. I should know enough about college students by now that you can't predict anything. So Beni snatched defeat from the jaws of victory.
Apparently the writers have the college student's wavelength. They went 60% last week while the board averaged 92%. (I think the semifinalists went 8/9 for 88%, but there is a sample bias from the FJ filter). But this miss isn't as egregious as it feels to us. The writers know how to feed the audience and challenge the contestants. Tyler made a great comeback and deserved the W.

I loved the interview where AT talked about competing against "seniors", and I didn't know until the end he meant us boomers, not upperclassmen :). In track and field, we claim the moniker "Masters", while the British call us experienced athletes (;)) "Veterans". I actually just prefer "Geezer".

I got FJ from the context, and couldn't think of a Spanish verb "incanar" to confirm. Obvious in retrospect, with re-, in-, and carne, but I didn't see it until this board.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:36 am In track and field, we claim the moniker "Masters"
Same in swimming. although US Masters Swimming allows anyone 18 or older to participate.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

I prefer PGA Tour Champions for those of us 50+.
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

got the Dracula TS and gave it in the same terrible accent Alex did. Sorry not sorry.

Word roots clues are my most favorite thing ever.

The music category hurt my soul. 2/5 recognizing songs (Maroon 5 and Queen). YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Flamboyant, Overtures, Bail, Dracula
Douglas Squasoni
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

NYCScribbler wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:08 pm
The music category hurt my soul. 2/5 recognizing songs (Maroon 5 and Queen). YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN
I got those two, and did get Panic! at the Disco (including the exclamation point), mainly because that song "High Hopes" seems to have permeated pop culture and sports culture a little. It seems like that and "Hey Look Ma" would be songs that get played at stadiums and arenas during lulls in the sportsball action.

For context, Maroon 5 is pretty old. Their first real hit album, Songs About Jane, will be old enough to vote in the next election. Or, in other words, Songs About Jane is the midpoint between today and September 1984, when "What's Love Got To Do With It?" was number 1.

The other two - Vampire Weekend and Twenty-One Pilots - are on my list of "pop/rock groups that seem like I would be in to if I ever actually heard their music". I definitely recognized their names, but couldn't give you the name of a single one of their songs/albums.
skrambler
Sam Kavanaugh's Mustache

Post by skrambler »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Apr 14, 2020 5:00 pm The other two - Vampire Weekend and Twenty-One Pilots - are on my list of "pop/rock groups that seem like I would be in to if I ever actually heard their music". I definitely recognized their names, but couldn't give you the name of a single one of their songs/albums.
I can't say much about Twenty-One Pilots, but I recommend Vampire Weekend, especially their newest album.
Audacious! Loquacious! Voracious!
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

*Does a Jan Brady impression* Beni, Beni, Beni!

Given how dominant Tyler was in his quarterfinal, I thought that he was going to cruise in the semis no problem, especially since he made the game a runaway. Surprisingly, this battle wasn't quite as one-sided than one would have thought.

While it's true Beni was much quicker on his answers than both Tyler and Kayla, unfortunately, this was a situation where momentum took control in Double Jeopardy, and Tyler completely changed the game. Keep in mind, he faced a dilemma like this in the quarterfinals, where he was trailing from a distance, and managed to complete the comeback. Beni hit a couple of negs in The English Bill of Rights and momentum easily went towards Tyler's way right after that. Kayla played some part in Double Jeopardy! and managed to get right back in the mix. She managed to take the lead at one point, unfortunately, was short lived after Tyler cruised on through. Beni made a late flurry to take the lead heading into FJ! and gave Tyler everything he could handle. Sadly, he fell so close, yet so far.

Honestly, I had high expectations thinking that Beni was going to be the favorite, especially given how competitive he was in the quarterfinals, and maybe the 2nd chance will be redemption for him. He played well, unfortunately, him and his lucky hair fell short of the victory. The lone senior survives and advances to the finals.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

Lefty wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:52 pm In the music category, Vampire Weekend was completely unfamiliar, Queen I got, and the other three I recognized as frequent Sporcle misses.
The lead singer of Vampire Weekend, Ezra Koenig, is married to Rashida Jones. Just a piece of trivia that might come in handy sometime.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not a lot of comments the first time it aired, so this may be a needless bump.