Wednesday, April 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, April 15, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

"Ad"dled doesn't seem so "old-timey" to me, but "ad"dlepated, my response, sure does...
Pittsburgh is Midwest, as far as I'm concerned - and I grew up near there. So Cleveland definitely is. Still, Jefferson City was the best I could come up with for FJ - even though I knew it was probably named not for a relative, and that Truman wasn't buried there (even as I forgot about the 19th C. requirement... :oops: )
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

LOL, just LOL at Babe Ruth breaking the color barrier in Major League Baseball in 1947.

LOL, just LOL at Ezra Pound being a woman.

I've never heard the Continental Divide called the Continental Ridge. I'm surprised they accepted that.

Alex did some cool stuttering, but at least he didn't break into singing "North to Alaska."

I didn't know FJ but I wagged Cleveland.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:35 am Babe Ruth is rumored to have some "brother" in him, but breaking the color barrier? That was setting up a rebound.
....a former disco queen, originally from Brooklyn, New York, Gloria Clemente.
davey

Post by davey »

NYCScribbler wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 8:50 pm
Judges: would "addle-pated" for "addled" be acceptable?
I didn't need to ask the judges, because I consulted a dictionary. And I learned no hyphen required... :)
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

What was I saying just yesterday about being 7/7 on Final Jeopardy for this tournament! :oops:

I didn’t love that elements with style category and I’m kicking myself for going with neon over phosphorus for the glow-in-the-dark element

How meta of Xiaoke to talk about the volta, or twist, in her interview and then steal the game with a small bet on a triple stumper!
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

davey wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 9:03 pm "Ad"dled doesn't seem so "old-timey" to me, but "ad"dlepated, my response, sure does...
Pittsburgh is Midwest, as far as I'm concerned - and I grew up near there. So Cleveland definitely is. Still, Jefferson City was the best I could come up with for FJ - even though I knew it was probably named not for a relative, and that Truman wasn't buried there (even as I forgot about the 19th C. requirement... :oops: )
I said "addle-headed", which has enough references that I'm going to take it.

I got FJ!, but I may have been a bit lucky: started with Cleveland and couldn't find a reason to switch.

I know it's hard to keep track of such things this "season", but I appreciated the shout-out to Jackie Robinson on Jackie Robinson Day.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

They should’ve had Wizards of Waverly Place instead of Hannah Montana for the Selena Gomez clue.

I got the Cheyenne clue, but fell for the same trap answer in FJ.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got Cleveland largely on knowing that it wasn't named for the president, although having read Prisoner of Trebekistan I was also pretty sure that Garfield was buried thereabouts. It wasn't surprising to see the clue go TS.

Pretty wild that Xiaoke should get the last wild card and then win her SF from third place. Have any other tournament finalists done likewise? (Dave in my ToC would have if he hadn't gifted me a trip to the finals with his wagering.)
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Count me with those who said Jefferson City, even though my brain was telling me it was wrong for the same reason I knew Lincoln was wrong. The clue said a 19th Century Prez was buried there, and the only one's who could reasonably be buried in either of those cities are 20th Century guys (Truman and Ford, respectively.)

Very tough Final, grats to Xiaoke for making a gutsy low bet.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Also, I'm pretty sure it counts, but I want to make sure with the judges here.

Ho Chi Minh City instead of Saigon?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Linear Gnome wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:23 pm I know it's hard to keep track of such things this "season", but I appreciated the shout-out to Jackie Robinson on Jackie Robinson Day.
I'm surprised it took until page two to get mentioned.

Legit would not have gotten this without a trip two years back. And remember:
lvc.jpg
lvc.jpg (77.48 KiB) Viewed 3742 times
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:52 pm Very tough Final, grats to Xiaoke for making a proper game theory optimal bet.
Fixed your post. :D
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:35 am The correct city is Midwest although in my West Coast mind I think of it as East since sporting games are three hours away.
I would say you're not alone; I think most Cleveland natives think of Cleveland as being almost as much "East" as "Midwest". Eastern time zone, not Central; neutral accent, prized by national broadcasters, not as denatured by the Northern Cities Vowel Shift and nowhere close to the twangs of Chicago or Minneapolis. I would offer that Cleveland is on the cusp of the Midwest, except that I would categorize Pittsburgh, three hours' drive east, as being as much Midwest as East.

In response to Lefty's "dumb crap" comments, Lake View Cemetary, where the Garfield Memorial is located, has to be one of the largest, most opulent, and most beautiful urban cemeteries in the country. It's the resting place not only of Garfield but of Rockefeller, Ness, and a few others. The Garfield Memorial is a beautiful monument of Berea Sandstone, marble, and stained glass. But even it is outdone by the cemetery's Wade Chapel, with its interior designed by Louis Comfort Tiffany, and the original pews hewn from real Lebanon cedar.

Congrats to USC's Xiaoke for advancing yet again to the Finals!--although this kind of win, on a triple stumper Final that shouldn't have been one, feels almost like being awarded a second wildcard.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 pm I got Cleveland largely on knowing that it wasn't named for the president, although having read Prisoner of Trebekistan I was also pretty sure that Garfield was buried thereabouts. It wasn't surprising to see the clue go TS.

Pretty wild that Xiaoke should get the last wild card and then win her SF from third place. Have any other tournament finalists done likewise? (Dave in my ToC would have if he hadn't gifted me a trip to the finals with his wagering.)
Flipping through my ToC notebook (don't have ones for the other tourneys) the closest I found:

Jim Scott WC4 and won semis 6200-4550 from 2nd on triple TS final

Jeff Stewart was WC4 and won semis 4800+4750 from 2nd when 3rd was 4700-3700

Cliff Galiher was WC4 and won his semi from 2nd place
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

For some reason I found it very hard to think of cities that aren't capitals even though I knew it didn't need to be one. Matched the three with Lincoln, although I knew it would be wrong.
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:56 pm Also, I'm pretty sure it counts, but I want to make sure with the judges here.

Ho Chi Minh City instead of Saigon?
That's a tough one...sure, they usually take anachronistic names, but in this case the city was falling to the people who named it that. "The fall of Saigon" is a trope. The fall of Ho Chi Minh City to the North Vietnamese is an impossibility.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 11:15 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:51 pm I got Cleveland largely on knowing that it wasn't named for the president, although having read Prisoner of Trebekistan I was also pretty sure that Garfield was buried thereabouts. It wasn't surprising to see the clue go TS.

Flipping through my ToC notebook (don't have ones for the other tourneys) the closest I found:

Jim Scott WC4 and won semis 6200-4550 from 2nd on triple TS final

Jeff Stewart was WC4 and won semis 4800+4750 from 2nd when 3rd was 4700-3700

Cliff Galiher was WC4 and won his semi from 2nd place
Flipping through some old College Tournaments on j-archive, Monica Thieu came close from the other direction - advanced as WC3 and won semis from 3rd on a solo-get final.
MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent »

Three words.

What. Just. Happened?

This was a headscratching game to be sure. I can't quite make heads or tails with what I just witnessed. Oh well, guess I'll probably put it into words with how this happened.

Given how Nathaniel set the tone in the quarterfinals, I thought he would give us a repeat performance, but that wasn't the case. The mystery behind it was that Marshall made the game closer because of the way he uncovered both DDs. Unfortunately, that 2nd DD miss probably will haunt him because had he perhaps got it, then the scenario would have changed. Instead, the game was extremely close and Xiaoke managed to bridge the gap and made this an interesting close battle.

Of course, Nathaniel was a pretty heavy favorite, clocking in at a 90+ percent clip, and I have a feeling those people that rooted for him are going to walk out of this disappointed. Even those that tried to cheer on for Marshall are going to be bummed out after this one. Surprisingly, Marshall held his own and didn't make it look one-sided where it easily favored Nathaniel. After Marshall uncovered both DDs early, there wasn't much to go right after that because Marshall only got 1 of 2 right on his DDs. Xiaoke silently crept up to both of them while Marshall picked up tough negs that affected any chance of building a solid enough lead. That ultimately would be the difference in this game. He got snake-bitten on 3 negs on the high-value clues and it left behind any residual money that he could have built for his lead.

That FJ! was a total trap for the three, and all of them picked an obvious choice. It was as if that was the first thing that came to mind. I think Alex changed the FJ! difficulty from rookie to heisman (Football joke) right when FJ! came around the corner. Now, there are some other answers that probably do come to mind from the guys that posted on here, like Jefferson City and Madison to name a few. Then again, there is Jackson in Mississippi as well. But yeah, I don't think they realized that the clue said "midwest" and went to the wrong part of the U.S. Nebraska, I don't think is considered a midwest state. Even I was blind to see that it was the one clue that was kind of a "Oh. How did I miss that?" tidbit.

But wow...what a major upset by Xiaoke, where she came into the game last place (Of the 9 semifinalists) in buzzing percentage and in correct answers. Once again, she finished this game strong, but only with a slight bump on her buzzing percentage. As they say in USC territory, she gets to "Fight On" another day.

Now, could she fare well against Tyler and Nibir in the finals with that same strategy she's been utilizing? I don't think so. She's going to have to get a good amount of DDs to have any chance of victory. The fact that she advanced to the semifinals and finals without a DD has got to be worth something. Tyler and Nibir better watch their backs because she could potentially make this a "Cinderella story" if she were to make another upset in the finals. Finals, and for all the marbles, here we come!
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Just to add another response, I said addlebrained.
earendel

Post by earendel »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:49 amFor some reason I found it very hard to think of cities that aren't capitals even though I knew it didn't need to be one. Matched the three with Lincoln, although I knew it would be wrong.
I also fixated on state capitals but I went with Madison, WI.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."