Thursday, April 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 23, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
STATESMEN

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The first Asian to accept the Nobel Peace Prize was the prime minister of this country who in 1967 renounced use of nuclear weapons

Sharon Lawson: 3400+3000=6400
Molly Bierman: 8400-0=8400
Tim Latham: 20200+1000=21200 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Japan (Molly – Vietnam S. Korea)

Daily Doubles
Sharon: 4200-1800
Molly: 3000+3000
Sharon: 6000-5000

Coryats
Sharon: 10200
Molly: 6600
Tim: 20200

Combined: 37,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sharon: 2800
Molly: 2600
Tim: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Some players can make great gains with Daily Doubles and some are just as well off, it not better, if the opponents find them. Sharon 0/2 on the DDs set Tim up for the runaway though if Sharon solved DD3 for 5 large then Tim could have made more money.

Nice debut by Tim although his lit knowledge may be lacking with first Balfour work and author of Main Street going TS.

The FJ! clue went 2/3 and TJF has Feb. 25th as the last time there was a tri-get in regular games.

My miss coupled with the contestants has it at 50% as I was at a loss where to go with it as Asia has some many countries. I wrote Burma in thinking U Thant had a Nobel. It was a duh moment for me when I saw Sharon's correct response as of course that makes sense. Nobel Prizes are not my thing as I'm the opposite of Young Sheldon who stayed up to listen to the awards named live on radio in one episode.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6612

Double digit TS again though not too many W for a change.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Well, I guess they really wanted to stress to you guys that the Beatles is an important category to Jeopardy, lol.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Started slowly in J! but gained momentum once I ran both Fictional TV Towns and Ends in "LL".

Tried the precall game in Beatles Songs but got only $400. Can't say I've heard of Rocky Raccoon before.

DJ! ate my lunch. I was 0/15 on the entire right half of the board.

No guess on FJ! I don't even know what a statesman is.

Lach Trash: Kansas, Keystone State. Also got the Twin Peaks DD.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Pre-called Eleanor Rigby for Beatles characters. Speaking of Beatles covers, there are at least two excellent covers of Eleanor Rigby on YouTube, one by Kansas & the other by Big Country. 8-)
:D :oops: :( on DDs.
Knew Japan had renounced nukes but didn't remember a PM ever getting a Nobel. Went with Japan anyway. :mrgreen:
QuizGeek75
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by QuizGeek75 »

Japan didn't pop into my mind as I thought it was somewhere else. Prime Ministers of South Korea are usually appointed by the President, meaning they act as the Vice President, and one example would be Hwang Kyo-ahn, who became PM when Park Geun Hye won the election on December 19, 2012 and was inaugurated in February 25, 2013, took the role of the presidency after she was impeached until the election was held on May 9, 2017, resulting in her political adversary, Moon Jae In, to win the election and was inaugurated the next day.
Just a person who loves game shows.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Beatles Songs and Historical Dates in the same game! just brutal

How should anyone be expected to know the date of the gunpowder plot?? The Walden fact was an excellent piece of trivia on the other hand

My brain on quarantine couldn't keep up this evening and I struggled to pull Jim Thorpe, the Whisky rebellion, guru, and 10 other things

Nothing really to latch on to in Final Jeopardy, so I paused, took my time, and eventually landed on Japan as the most plausible. I was twiddling my thumbs near Seoul when the think music stopped

Twin Peaks! Like Sharon, I wanted to kick myself at home, but only because I would have bet the house minimum on that bottom row DD
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm How should anyone be expected to know the date of the gunpowder plot?? The Walden fact was an excellent piece of trivia on the other hand
Because it has it's own Wikipedia page?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Fawkes_Night
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:50 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm How should anyone be expected to know the date of the gunpowder plot?? The Walden fact was an excellent piece of trivia on the other hand

And to tie it all up in a neat little bow of the last few days ... The day is remembered well enough in England to be referenced in the John Lennon song "Remember": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_ ... nnon_song)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $44,600 (50R, 0W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Going through it, I felt like I had a fairly pedestrian game, then I added it up at the end and had my season high Coryat by a $400 margin. FJ was a guess, but it worked out. The only thing I'm kicking myself for is not being able to come up with Twin Peaks.

The champion carousel continues....
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 pm Well, I guess they really wanted to stress to you guys that the Beatles is an important category to Jeopardy, lol.
That's funny, because about a month or so, I was saying to myself that they were really going light on the Beatles this season. Only a handful of clues - maybe one FJ! and a couple of others, and then nada. I guess they're filling their quota this week. They even snuck in a "here comes the sun king". I precalled Eleanor Rigby, but I felt SPLHCB was a bit of a tongue-twister for the second row. They're asking for a contestant to fall flat on their face.

Yesterday...Final Jeopardy was so easy to play. Now it looks as if it will help today....I initially thought India, but I had reasons. Gandhi. But I quickly swatted that away, since there's no way they'd have two FJ!s in a week with the same response. I didn't even bother to think it through, since it was already deemed wrong, but:

1) India's nuclear now, which I knew.
2) Indira isn't related to Mahatma, which I knew.
3) Mahatma died in the late 40s, which I didn't quite know.
4) "Asia" for "India" is technically correct, but could be construed as misleading.

After 23 frustrating seconds of trying to think of peaceful, neutral Asian nations that would be analogous to Switzerland, I guessed Japan because of Hiroshima and Nagasaki and turning the other cheek.

Edith Piaf and La Vie En Rose is one of those facts that I'd love to figure out how I know. Probably game shows. Maybe a movie? She's not on my Spotify list. (Well, actually, she may be, since Madonna covered her in a concert, and I store setlists of concerts in my Spotify.)

Epiglottis was also a response in game from the 80s that I watched thanks to the archives thread. Virtually the same clue:

#8209, aired 2020-04-23 EVERY BODY $2000: During swallowing, this flap of cartilage prevents food from entering the trachea
#606, aired 1987-04-06 ANATOMY $400: Name of the flap which closes over the trachea when you swallow

I responded "Should I buy a set of whitewall tires?" in the LL category - judges? It's in the form of a question....
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Did a spit take on Amélie!
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:53 pm
MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:50 pm

And to tie it all up in a neat little bow of the last few days ... The day is remembered well enough in England to be referenced in the John Lennon song "Remember": https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remember_ ... nnon_song)
Not to mention:

"Remember, remember the Fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot"

http://www.potw.org/archive/potw405.html
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:29 pm Well, I guess they really wanted to stress to you guys that the Beatles is an important category to Jeopardy, lol.
Especially Sgt Pepper. That album alone gets you three of the five clues. They should've just gone for all five, rounding things out with Lovely Rita and Mr. Kite. Or, if you prefer, Albert Hall.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 7:48 pm Beatles Songs and Historical Dates in the same game! just brutal
Beatles and dates are my favorites. They got me through my wilderness years.

By the way, I also forswear the use of nuclear weapons. So what's to see and do in Oslo?
I'm smart and I want respect.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:15 pm

I responded "Should I buy a set of whitewall tires?" in the LL category - judges? It's in the form of a question....
Not in my rulebook, but Sharon was allowed to get away with "skull and crossbones" for the category Ends in "LL", so the show's judges evidently have a softer manual. Presumably "a set of whitewalls" would still not pass muster...
I too thought U Thant might have been a Nobelist (and might have been Prime Minister - he wasn't... :roll: ). At least, it's true Myanmar is not a nuclear power...
Yes, Japan seemed obvious on reveal, but in my defense...1967 seems a bit late for Japan to be stipulating this renouncement, one would think the victorious powers and their own experience of WW2 would have steered Japan away from the WMDs for good... :roll:
Last edited by davey on Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This game is a case study for the innominate situation.* The lovely Molly was having trouble getting above 50% of Tim. She was on the cusp of it for most of double jeopardy. When the champion blue The Daily Double on French girl, both she and Molly desperately needed Molly to get above 50%. Instead, the champ was the main one of those two ringing in. She basically ended both of their chances to win. As it turned out in Final Jeopardy, it wouldn't have mattered.

* The innominate situation is where the leader has a runaway and the second-place contestant desperately needs to get above 50% but the third-place contestant prevents the second-place contestant from doing that.

As for final, I knew the answer couldn't be India for a reason I will not mention here. I was vacillating about weather Israel would be referred to as an Asian country and a person from there as an Asian. But I knew that no Israeli leader had sworn off nukes. I don't know why, but I said Indonesia. The West has barely let Japan have a military at all since World War II, so I wasn't sure why a nuclear Japan would be an issue.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.