Tuesday, April 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, April 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, April 28, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
1950s Films

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The last line of this epic film was "Go--proclaim liberty throughout all the lands unto all the inhabitants thereof"

Sarah Jett Rayburn: 7800+7700=15500 (3x = $54,900)
Alison Nelson: 11000-10000=1000
Mina Le: 10400-10400=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Ten Commandments (Alison – The Grapes of Wrat) (Mina – Ben-Hur)

Daily Doubles
Mina: 2600-2000
Alison: 3400-600
Alison: 4400+600

Coryats
Sarah: 7800
Alison: 12600
Mina: 12400

Combined: 32,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sarah: 4200
Alison: 3000
Mina: 1200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For fans of creative sign-ins:
Spoiler
Not the first time it's been done though still fun to see.

Mina talked about playing in Scrabble tournaments and Alex asked her if she can make money doing it.

Mina: Yeah, but not as much as on here.

Naturally, Mina won the house minimum $1000 after that remark.

Alex has lots of ways besides, "Good for you" to end his chats. "Damn fine" was a new one as far as I can recall.

Gee, what a surprise, MLB SINGLE-SEASON RECORDS was played last. It went Mina, Mina, Alison neg/TS, end of round for $0 gained.

The FJ! category had me making sure I could run Best Picture winners for the decade quickly. The clue had me write the correct film while spending think time assuring myself it was not going to be what Mina ended up writing.

Missing Mina's way will have company here while I hope no one matches Alison's (not quite completed writing) choice.

Sarah was scared her response was not going to cut it.
Spoiler
She could breathe again after Alex gave her assurance. It does not always happen while today a sole solve from third place was enough to get the victory.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I've done 2 M's as 3 arches plenty of times. When writing quickly, the brain will sometimes mash them together.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's there for the reading: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6618

It must be my lucky day, only 2 media clues. Not so lucky? 14W :evil:
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Every once in a while, it seems the game writers think something is so obvious that no research is needed only to be wrong. Today it was in the double-vowel category with the clue "What a plane is doing moving down a runway, preparing for take-off". I could not come up with anything with a double-vowel, even after pausing it for several seconds. What they wanted was "What is taxiing". As a pilot, I have to say nope. One normally taxis on taxiways - runways are for takeoffs and landings and taxiways are for taxiing. At an airport with a control tower, taxiing on a runway requires an explicit clearance to do so (e.g. if given a clearance to taxi without a route specified, the route is at pilot discretion but that discretion does not include taxiing on a runway). An airplane moving down a runway preparing for take-off (as the clue said) is accelerating or rolling (to use pilot jargon) but is not taxiing.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The baseball category was going well until it ended with a thud when Alison thought a player had a 0.960 batting average.

The short lived Sony board revival tended to attract a crowd from a certain end of the political spectrum. If it was still around it would probably explode with posts about the Obama thread and one hailing Snopes with a mention of Pelosi and the impeachment.

I didn’t start with the Bible but tried to come up with some American history related film. I got it right eventually but wasn’t certain (wasn’t sure when it was made) until Alex’s postmusic comment about the Bible.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

$12,200 is my lowest Coryat in what seems like forever.

I joined them on the "muscles" TS. Just couldn't think of a body part with a silent "C" which would be in the nose.

Snopes Says Nope for $200 felt very badly pinned. I also went with "The Moon" which IMO makes more sense.

Airline felt extremely YEKIOYD.

Another "Jeff" category huh? I guess they really do want to make Jeffpardy! a thing.

Bit on the "Eisenhower" negbait on Obama for $800. WHY DO I LITERALLY ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS GO FOR NEGBAIT AAAAAAAAAAA

French Prince I had down as an 0/5 before any clues were even played.

No guess on FJ! The key words were blatantly obvious, but they just weren't sending any signals to my brain. Major headslap on reveal.

Lach Trash: Churchill Downs. Also got the Rastafarianism DD.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

I had a total blank for FJ ... I got myself stuck in "Well 1950s, so sounds like the end of a WW II movie..." :(

Today was also my worst Coryat since I started keeping track at the end of March.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Oh and minus funsies points for not answering "What is definitely Qantas?" :lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I can't stand Mina's stentorian voice. But she toned it down after the first break so I wonder if one of the contestant coordinators told her to chill. Then she reverted to type toward the end of double jeopardy.

0.96 would be a phenomenal batting average! But like the clue said, a microscopic ERA.

A $600 daily double bet is a sign of somebody who isn't there to play. Caribbean religion + ISM + Hailie Selassie. Done.

It gives me no comfort that Obama likes Where the Wild Things Are. Maurice Sendak's artwork seems like the work of a fearful person.

I know Larry Bartels. Now I can ask him if he knew he came up on Jeopardy tonight. I've done that to minor celebrities before.

LOL, just LOL at easy listening being a form of jazz.

1950s film + Epic led me directly to the Ten Commandments. I actually didn't recognize the line as from the film and it seemed more libertarian than I think of the book of Exodus being. But like I said, 1950s epic was the Ten Commandments and I couldn't think of anything else, knowing Ben Hur was from 1960.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $35,400 (45R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Whiffed on Rastafarianism, forgot the category and went with Vodun... :?

Some of the Snopes clues were unusually poorly pinned. For example:

A NASA astronaut did not carry a big bag of marijuana up to this in 2012

Technically, the Moon was correct, as would be the Pope's attic, the top of Mount Everest, or any of a host of other places you could conceivably carry weed up to.
floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm
1950s film + Epic led me directly to the Ten Commandments. I actually didn't recognize the line as from the film and it seemed more libertarian than I think of the book of Exodus being. But like I said, 1950s epic was the Ten Commandments and I couldn't think of anything else, knowing Ben Hur was from 1960.
Ben-Hur is from 1959, which is why I had to swat it away to get to the right answer...
Last edited by mas3cf on Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

^
So I pulled a Homer then.

But it isn't enough that an astronaut didn't do that in 2012; rather that Snopes debunked the idea that one did.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Woulda thought The Communist Manifesto more likely than The Wealth of Nations :twisted:
This board definitely needed a medical warning :puke:
TPTB, can you please screen for people who know something about sports? :Facepalm:
Now this is my kind of movie FJ :mrgreen:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:41 pm It's there for the reading: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6618

It must be my lucky day, only 2 media clues. Not so lucky? 14W :evil:
I feel an erratum should be added to the Gettysburg Address clue. The speech begins Four score, not fourscore, it is this way in virtually every online text and in pictures of Lincoln's speech itself. So by making Sarah change her response from "three" to "threescore", they were just plain wrong. Threescore and fourscore may be perfectly acceptable as words but it's not the way Lincoln wrote it or how it is generally depicted in the speech.

https://cdn.britannica.com/s:700x500/46 ... ddress.jpg
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm A $600 daily double bet is a sign of somebody who isn't there to play. Caribbean religion + ISM + Hailie Selassie. Done.
I expected a low wager but not that low. And she did it twice!

Really, you can afford to go TDD on the second clue of the second round in the $800 box! But hey, she got it wrong anyway (Rastafarianism)

On the next one in French Prince, later in the game, $600 again, gets it right (Bourbon) and says "that was a wild guess".

I had to look up Louis XVIII to see if there was one. I also negged with Louis XIV forgetting that he was king much earlier

Ben-Hur! Crikey! I would hate to go out on a FJ like that one
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm 1950s film + Epic led me directly to the Ten Commandments. I actually didn't recognize the line as from the film and it seemed more libertarian than I think of the book of Exodus being. But like I said, 1950s epic was the Ten Commandments and I couldn't think of anything else, knowing Ben Hur was from 1960.
Ben-Hur was a 1959 film and not a far-fetched guess, whereas I, the brilliant fool I am, chose the real 1960 film with Spartacus :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:18 pm
floridagator wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:57 pm 1950s film + Epic led me directly to the Ten Commandments. I actually didn't recognize the line as from the film and it seemed more libertarian than I think of the book of Exodus being. But like I said, 1950s epic was the Ten Commandments and I couldn't think of anything else, knowing Ben Hur was from 1960.
Ben-Hur was a 1959 film and not a far-fetched guess, whereas I, the brilliant fool I am, chose the real 1960 film with Spartacus :roll:
Except for the year - which I should have remembered - it doesn't strike me as a bad guess. Yes, I should have just accepted that it was a Biblical line, but somehow "liberty" seemed a more secular word. Not that I think it should matter, but I've never seen The Ten Commandments all the way through...or Ben Hur, for that matter. Spartacus, several times...
I've been having a bad stretch of FJs lately... :cry:
blueoncemoon
Contributor

Post by blueoncemoon »

I personally can't wait until "Donald Trump's Favorite Books" is a category. I'm pre-calling "The Art of the Deal," "The Art of the Comeback," "The Art of Survival,", "Mein Kampf," of course, and "Best Places to Retire That Have No Extradition Treaty with the US."