Wednesday, April 29, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, April 29, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, April 29, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
19th CENTURY NOVELS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Its first line ends, "The period was so far like the present period…for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only"

Sarah Jett Rayburn: 17400+17000=34400 (4x = $89,300)
Alwin Hui: 16400-5601=10799
Anastasia Plakas: 11000+11000=22000

Correct response:
Spoiler
A Tale of Two Cities (Alwin – The Time Machine)

Daily Doubles
Anastasia: 400+1000
Sarah: 3000+2000
Alwin: 12200+3800

Coryats
Sarah: 17000
Alwin: 13800
Anastasia: 10800

Combined: 41,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sarah: 1800
Alwin: 3000
Anastasia: 7400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alwin opened up for the camera with a throwing QB simulation. His sign-in had his name inside what looked like a bisected basketball. Sports category? Not today.

If I had a dollar for each time I've filled in the blunted sword in 4-LETTERS WORDS WITH 3 VOWELS...

Sarah lost the J! round though won the more important DJ! and FJ! rounds as Anastasia piece by piece lost her lead as the game went along.

Alwin did take the lead on DD3 though only by $1000 with 6 clues remaining.

The FJ! category had me not bother with title precalls and instead I wrote 5 authors: Austen, Dickens, Hardy, Melville and Hugo in trying to cover American, British and French while keeping it to my first five instincts.

The clue had me recognizing nothing of the words while "comparison" was enough of an aha moment to know what to write including the proper leading article while in earlier years of J! I may have been less sure.

Nice title defense by Sarah and with the padded total ($1599 more than needed) it was enough to bump V3 down a notch on the tracker.

Anastasia got in an added "Love you Leo, Elle, Ted & Lulu" for her nieces and nephews.

After Sarah won the game Alex asked Sarah, "Having fun yet?" Sarah got to speak, "Oh, I am, I really am."

Yes, she is indeed.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's in the archive: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6620

Double digit media clues, but under 10 for Ws and TS clues for a pleasant change.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

27 right, worth $25,000
13 in J!, 14 in DJ!

Got eight of the twelve $1600 and $2000 clues.

4/5 in THERE SHE IS, MYTH GREECE, 3/4 in SPINELESS JELLYFISH, and 3/5 in 1917

19th Century Novel + "comparison": probably A Tale of Two Cities. Was lucky enough not to be distracted by the rest of the clue.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The Harry category was a tribute to Harry Friedman, so I guess that had to be finished.

FJ took a bit to process but it was simple to process.

I like the champ, I hope she sticks around for awhile.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs.
Of course I got the Denver clue ;)
Superlative led me to ATo2C :mrgreen:
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $40,200 (47R, 1W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Persephone was just not in my knowledge base. Still some holes in my knowledge of Greek mythology, obviously. Naturally, the only one I didn't know in the category had to be the DD... :lol:

Got FJ pretty quickly but was doubting myself because the wording didn't fit the pattern of the first parts of that line.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I was spoiled for this game, in a way. “Wow. Not bad. 89000.”

I thought zomg, Alex is gonna gush over the second coming of James Holzhauer!

Alas, it wasn’t meant to be.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

There's also a ghost town of Bodie Nevada.

I got balfour just from British Statesman and declaration and didn't even need to read the rest of the clue about Jewish state. 1917 helped, of course.

Whatever was that symbol Tim drew at the start of what he said was the time machine? It sure didn't look like a T and it certainly didn't match the T on time. I'm thinking that could have caused him trouble if he had the correct answer and his penmanship was lacking.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Four-letter words with three vowels: airy.

Genuine question: does J! consider Y to be a vowel in this kind of context? Thanks.
William Bermudez
Contributor

Post by William Bermudez »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:36 pm Genuine question: does J! consider Y to be a vowel in this kind of context? Thanks.
I would think so, since it's being pronounced as one.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:33 pm There's also a ghost town of Bodie Nevada.

I got balfour just from British Statesman and declaration and didn't even need to read the rest of the clue about Jewish state. 1917 helped, of course.

Whatever was that symbol Tim drew at the start of what he said was the time machine? It sure didn't look like a T and it certainly didn't match the T on time. I'm thinking that could have caused him trouble if he had the correct answer and his penmanship was lacking.
Yeah, Alwin (legally blind in one eye) is not getting enough crap (in other places) about his Grande for Jackson error on a video clue. Sure, botch his name and get on him for nothing.

TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Got only $600 in Billboard. Coworker was listening to "Believer" just a couple hours prior and I still couldn't pin it to an artist.

Ran Well-Seasoned Vocabulary and 4-Letter Words... and surprisingly, Seuels.

What was the TOM for Johannesburg at $400? That seemed like a clunker of a clue.

I had absolutely no idea how to even attack this clue. The wording just wasn't sending any signals to my brain at all. I seem to be in a real slump lately and can't untrack.

Lach Trash: curry, saltbox, carbon dioxide, cinnamon bear
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:36 pm Four-letter words with three vowels: airy.

Genuine question: does J! consider Y to be a vowel in this kind of context? Thanks.
Definitely. The usual teaching in the States is that y is sometimes a consant, sometimes a vowel, depending on how it functions in the word. We memorized the vowels as "a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y". So in "young", y is a consant, and in "airy", y is a vowel.

I gather that across the pond, students are more usually taught that y is a consonant? I'm not sure what the situation is in Canada.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I have to admit we all laughed when Alwin mistook Miss Jackson for Frankie’s half-sister. Now that I know that he’s blind in one eye, I feel terrible. And JJ did seem to have that ponytail. Easy FJ today for me since I read ATOTC last year. Great book.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:35 pm I gather that across the pond, students are more usually taught that y is a consonant? I'm not sure what the situation is in Canada.
So what you're saying is you want to know the Canadian alphabet from "eh?" to zed.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:35 pm
CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:36 pm Four-letter words with three vowels: airy.

Definitely. The usual teaching in the States is that y is sometimes a consant, sometimes a vowel, depending on how it functions in the word. We memorized the vowels as "a, e, i, o, u, and sometimes y". So in "young", y is a consant, and in "airy", y is a vowel.

I gather that across the pond, students are more usually taught that y is a consonant? I'm not sure what the situation is in Canada.
Thank you for this explanation. I grew up and was educated in Ireland, and then worked in education in the UK before moving to Canada. And, yes, Y is always a consonant in Ireland and the UK. I had never come across the concept of Y being considered a vowel before today. It just never came up so I didn't learn what I didn't know. TIL that there can be six vowels. 😀
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:30 pm 19th Century Novel + "comparison": probably A Tale of Two Cities. Was lucky enough not to be distracted by the rest of the clue.
Just like last time: http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2728
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)