The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 3:33 pm Those are the only literal top row hits in the archive, and they all seem reasonable to me. First one can be bypassed with "Measure for Measure", and I think even without it, vaguely knowing the author is 100% fair game. The second one explicitly spots you the first letter, and tacitly spots you the first six letters of the play's name, and also gives you the author. It's more of a "wordplay", "logic", or "let's make a reasoned guess and see if it sticks" clue than a knowledge-based clue. The last one has very little to do with the play or film itself, as the film wasn't released widely enough to be J! canon. But it does have to do with recognizing a British (Welsh) actor/director whose first name is Ralph - and if Alex pronounced it as I think he did, it's a gimmie. There aren't too many "Rayphs" out there.

The second one might be a little tricky in buzzer-time. But it's not impossible.
The second one was the one I was thinking of. Coriolanus is near the bottom of Shakespeare recognition, and I could easily see that one being a triple stumper even in a TOC given how obscure Coriolanus is to most other plays. There's no telling how many letters after "Coriol" you're supposed to add, whether you're supposed to keep the second I, etc.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:01 pm There's no telling how many letters after "Coriol" you're supposed to add

Apparently, there is telling...
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not the first time and won't be his last:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3885&p=233157#p233157

#8079, aired 2019-10-24 BEHIND THE MUSICAL TITLE $1200: Percy Jackson & his friends realize that war among Greek gods must be prevented in this musical named for the first Percy Jackson book
#8057, aired 2019-09-24 READ ANY BESTSELLERS LATELY? $400: In 2019 this Rick Riordan title guy--"& the Olympians", too--spent week 500 on the children's series list, & that's no myth
#7973, aired 2019-04-17 CHILDREN'S BOOKS $400: "A God Buys Us Cheeseburgers" is a chapter in "The Lightning Thief", book 1 about this kid "& the Olympians"
#7863, aired 2018-11-14 YOUNG PEOPLE IN BOOKS $800: In a book series by Rick Riordan, this main character joins the Olympians & also attends a summer camp for demigods
#7575, aired 2017-07-14 KID LIT $600: At the beginning of "The Lightning Thief", this kid thinks his pre-algebra teacher turns into a monster
#7412, aired 2016-11-29 KIDS' BOOKS $400: Book 4 of "Percy Jackson & the Olympians" is "The Battle of" this mythological maze
#7405, aired 2016-11-18 CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS $200: This title character was inspired by stories Rick Riordan told his son about the gods & heroes in Greek mythology
#7219, aired 2016-01-21 MY NAME IS PERCY $800: In the book "The Lightning Thief", this kid finds out that his deadbeat dad is Poseidon
#6434, aired 2012-08-02 I LIKE TO READ $400: In the Percy Jackson books, Percy meets other teen demigods at camp this
#6089, aired 2011-02-17 WHAT KIDS ARE READING THESE DAYS $1600: In the 4th volume of a series, Percy Jackson & the Olympians must fight "The Battle of" this puzzling place
#5960, aired 2010-07-09 LITERARY MONSTERS $800: This offspring of a woman & a bull is one of the monsters in the Percy Jackson books

#8057, aired 2019-09-24 READ ANY BESTSELLERS LATELY? $400: In 2019 this Rick Riordan title guy--"& the Olympians", too--spent week 500 on the children's series list, & that's no myth
#7863, aired 2018-11-14 YOUNG PEOPLE IN BOOKS $800: In a book series by Rick Riordan, this main character joins the Olympians & also attends a summer camp for demigods
#7405, aired 2016-11-18 CONTEMPORARY AUTHORS $200: This title character was inspired by stories Rick Riordan told his son about the gods & heroes in Greek mythology
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Re: Beatles covers

Post by Category 13 »

TPH" wrote:I bet you not a single soul could name any of the artists who have done any of said covers. Or anyone who's ever had success with a Beatles cover ever
The Mammas and the Pappas: I Call Your Name
Carpenters: Ticket To Ride
Joe Cocker: With A Little Help From My Friends, She Came in Through the Bathroom Window
Elton John: Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds
Aerosmith: Come Together

There are also older songs by other artists that the Beatles covered, that later became hits by different artists.

Roll Over Beethoven, Electric Light Orchestra
Please Mister Postman, Carpenters
Rock and Roll Music, The Beach Boys

Then there was that Stars on 45 Medley that bumped Kim Carnes out of the Billboard number 1 spot for one week during her 1981 domination of the charts.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If any Beatles-loving purists who hate covers need nightmares:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woo-C7XsQWs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kAyUgIY8V1A
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 pm Snopes Says Nope for $200 felt very badly pinned. I also went with "The Moon" which IMO makes more sense.
Except for the fact we didn’t go to the moon in 2012.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If you see "Transvaal" think South Africa. A "burg" there? Top box material that got by the players (and you). It happens.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm If you see "Transvaal" think South Africa. A "burg" there? Top box material that got by the players (and you). It happens.
I saw it and thought "okay, that kind of sounds like Transylvania, but the double A also sounds vaguely Scandinavian, so I have absolutely no clue." Seems like that one had a lot of ways to go awry.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:20 pm If you see "Transvaal" think South Africa. A "burg" there? Top box material that got by the players (and you). It happens.
I saw it and thought "okay, that kind of sounds like Transylvania, but the double A also sounds vaguely Scandinavian, so I have absolutely no clue." Seems like that one had a lot of ways to go awry.
A double A like that usually suggests Afrikaans, which should lead you to South Africa. If you didn't know that, learn it for future reference in case it comes up again.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 10:46 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 9:34 pm
A double A like that usually suggests Afrikaans, which should lead you to South Africa. If you didn't know that, learn it for future reference in case it comes up again.
I don't think "aa = Afrikaans = South Africa" is good advice, not least because Afrikaans is a fairly recent descendant of Dutch, which also does the double a. Better in this case to just stick with the geography lesson that the Transvaal is a region of South Africa. Also, there's this fact from a Final Jeopardy from over a dozen years ago that made tonight's clue a slam dunk for me:

AFRICAN CITIES
"Africa's most populous city not on a navigable body of water; its settlers didn't need water when they had gold"
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Figures I make it most of the season without my usual "six weeks without a single FJ! right" slump, only to have that come crashing down in what may actually be the last two weeks of the season.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I live in S.F. and knew about Michigan yesterday since I try to read all the threads: viewtopic.php?p=332277#p332277
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 pm I live in S.F. and knew about Michigan yesterday since I try to read all the threads: viewtopic.php?p=332277#p332277
Anyone got a recording? The DailyMotion channel I usually get from in times like these was taken down.
QBall
Valued Contributor

Post by QBall »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:13 pm I live in S.F. and knew about Michigan yesterday since I try to read all the threads: viewtopic.php?p=332277#p332277
It involved politics/current events (never mind reading other threads), so that’s going to be a NHO situation.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm
Rivers was also very impenetrable. Any reason I should know where the Tigris river is?
The key IMO is the category - WORLD CAPITAL RIVERS. There's only about 200 world capitals out there (depending on your definition), so while it's not narrow, it does limit your search.

The Tigris and Euphrates rivers have Pavlovs of "fertile crescent", "cradle of civilization", and "Mesopotamia". If you check a map, it's mostly in Iraq, so it's basically asking "What is the capital of Iraq?", and world capitals of any country are fair game - although some are naturally more difficult than others. It "kisses" Syria, and goes into Turkey, but for a top row clue, go with the idea that most of Mesopotamia, as well as a good part of the rivers, is associated with Iraq.

Next clue is basically "What's the capital of Venezuela?", and yes it's YEKIOYD, but it's a world capital. Fair game. Same idea for the bottom row clue, capital of Laos. Granted, these aren't necessarily clues that you'll pick up by just via osmosis and by being "well-read", or even by being a world traveler. But if you're going to "juice" yourself for trivia competitions, memorizing 200 world capitals is a decent (if not slightly daunting) place to start.

I don't have a good excuse for the other two, as I'm not great in geography, but those three are doable.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:36 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 7:28 pm Snopes Says Nope for $200 felt very badly pinned. I also went with "The Moon" which IMO makes more sense.
Except for the fact we didn’t go to the moon in 2012.
For future reference, we also didn't land on the moon in 2002. Or 1992. Or 1982. We did in 1972. 1972 was the last year NASA sent people to the moon.

NASA retired the Space Shuttle in 2011. Since then, the only destination for NASA astronauts has been the International Space Station. It really is the only possible answer.

I don't think most people realize the scope of the moon landing. As an exercise, I once drew the Earth and the Moon to scale on a standard (8.5x11) piece of paper, with the distance between them also to scale. The Earth was a tiny circle in one corner of the page and the Moon was an even tinier circle in the opposite corner.

By contrast, since the last moon landing in 1972, no human has been beyond low Earth orbit. At that scale, the distance between the Earth's surface and low Earth orbit is about the same as the width of the pencil mark I used to draw the Earth.

Hope that helps, or is at least in some way interesting.
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Also NHO "Parasite" to my knowledge
Most people NHO it before the Oscars less than two months ago. After the Oscars (even if they didn't watch the award show itself), the vast majority of people have definitely heard of it. The current year's Best Picture Oscar Winner is about as fair game as you can get. There was a reason Herb Stemple was so aggrieved at being asked to "take a dive" on a question about a recent Best Picture winner...
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

hansenkd wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:56 am ...There was a reason Herb Stemple was so aggrieved at being asked to "take a dive" on a question about a recent Best Picture winner...
NHO Herb Stemple :)
hansenkd
Valued Contributor

Post by hansenkd »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:50 pm
hansenkd wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 11:56 am ...There was a reason Herb Stemple was so aggrieved at being asked to "take a dive" on a question about a recent Best Picture winner...
That's why he resented Van Doren so long...because future generations would NHO him. 🤔
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

hansenkd wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 5:16 pm
Rackme32 wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 2:50 pm
That's why he resented Van Doren so long...because future generations would NHO him. 🤔
NHO Charles Van Doren.