Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ADVERTISING

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Copywriter Keith Goldberg wrote this question in 1999 for a financial services company; they’re still using it

Sarah Jett Rayburn: 12500-12499=1
Kevin Curran: 13000-12501=499
Jesse Laymon: 11200+1800=13000 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
What’s in your wallet? (Sarah – Have you done) (Kevin – What ca)

Daily Doubles
Jesse: 1800+1000
Jesse: 5600+5600
Sarah: 12800-300

Coryats
Sarah: 12800
Kevin: 13000
Jesse: 6400

Combined: 32,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sarah: 6800
Kevin: 3400
Jesse: 6000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Too many times I've seen it happen with a tight game down the stretch and then it all falls apart to have a less than spectacular finish.

Sarah found DD3 on the last clue and trailed 13000 to 12800 to 11200. She bet 300 to try for the lead. There was smoke coming out of her ears with wood burning trying to recall she could not find in her memory banks. Time was up and then too late she got the name.

Instead of the narrow 100 lead it was instead 2nd place entering the FJ! round. Sometimes it can be an advantage to trail and other times it does not matter. Today Jesse was able to use a double 5600 on DD2 and a sole solve on the FJ! clue to take the title.

Kevin was a closer as he trailed in third for a lot of the game yet by the end of the DJ! round he eked out a lead only to run out of gas before the finish line.

The FJ! clue was one where I'm glad it was not in reverse. By some miracle the correct response came to me, yet if you had asked me the company I would have not recalled it. Like many ads I've seen/heard countless times, it does not mean I retain the actual product or company name.

Will Sarah make the ToC? Impossible to say at this point. Ask Alex Schmidt, Mary Ann Borer, Dave Leffler, Jackie Fuchs, Jonathan Dinerstein, & John Presloid what four wins and decent money gets your as far as a return invitation.

When the Teacher champ is crowned that will make 9 players ahead of Sarah with who knows how many games to play before qualifying ends.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Game is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6622

Another Alex & Sarah show in the FJ! round. Alex will miss Sarah.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Jesse had eerily similar stats to another giant killer: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=512
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 am Ask Alex Schmidt, Mary Ann Borer, Dave Leffler, Jackie Fuchs, Jonathan Dinerstein, & John Presloid what four wins and decent money gets your as far as a return invitation.

In my opinion, John and Alex were both Silver material, while Mary Ann was Gold and would have been in contention to win in almost any other year. Alas!
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:45 pm Jesse had eerily similar stats to another giant killer: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=512
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:33 am Ask Alex Schmidt, Mary Ann Borer, Dave Leffler, Jackie Fuchs, Jonathan Dinerstein, & John Presloid what four wins and decent money gets your as far as a return invitation.

In my opinion, John and Alex were both Silver material, while Mary Ann was Gold and would have been in contention to win in almost any other year. Alas!
Can we really call Jesse a "giant killer" though? Sarah only won 4 games and her cash total is not really high enough to guarantee a spot in the TOC, so IMO his win doesn't match that description.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Sad thing is, those commercials might be on tv for years to come, constant reminders to Sarah and Kevin of their bitter defeat. Why, even "Snakes on a Plane" might become unwatchable!
Tencent
Contributor

Post by Tencent »

My favorite show has been letting me down a bit recently.
Charlie Parker's nickname was Bird not Birdman. It was strange. I am a jazz dork and have never seen him or heard him referred to that way.
Beyond that, searching for Birdman on Amazon gets no Charlie Parker. It was weird that they accepted it.
4 time pool swimmer
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thanks for another fucking unnanounced fucking preemption, you goddamn rude assholes at WNEM. I thought we weren't doing this shit anymore.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :oops: :D for DDs. Answered Bucharest.
Three 2000 TS for the taking, along w/the last DD
Took about 5 seconds for FJ :mrgreen:
Last edited by DBear on Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So how many more brick walls am I going to hit on Final, hmm?

Question + financial should have been obvious. But I just glommed onto "Could switching to GEICO really save you 15% or more on your car insurance? Are GEICO commercials about as funny as shoving my dick in a cheese grater?" and my brain WOULD NOT LET GO.

They threw it right at me and I still missed. "What's in your wallet?" was right there plain as day and I just couldn't see it.

WHY DOES THIS KEEP HAPPENING TO ME?!?!?!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Tencent wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm My favorite show has been letting me down a bit recently.
Charlie Parker's nickname was Bird not Birdman. It was strange. I am a jazz dork and have never seen him or heard him referred to that way.
Beyond that, searching for Birdman on Amazon gets no Charlie Parker. It was weird that they accepted it.
I said Charlie “Bird” Parker, thinking they needed the nickname since it was included in the clue and thought I was wrong. Thanks for the information.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

NO WAY JOSE?! Of all the wrestlers big and small, famous or otherwise, they picked NO WAY JOSE?!?! At least Kofi Kingston is a former World Champ and multi time Tag Champ.

(He was one of the lowest "jobbers" of anyone on the roster for brief 2 years he was on the main roster, and was one of several wrestlers released a few weeks ago).

I love when it's blatantly clear that nobody involves in the clue has any clue about the topic. A while back they had a question about Transformers that picked a character so obscure that I had to look it up to make sure it was even a Transformer, and I'm pretty sure I could name close to 100 of them.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Add me to any potential list that said Bucharest instead of Belgrade to ruin my perfect score on DD's this week.

I was also expecting a reversal on "Birdman" and was shocked the judges let it slide.

The correct response to FJ came to me right away, and after 5 seconds of writing it all out, I spent the rest of the time trying to outsmart myself, but luckily I'm too dumb to do that :lol:
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

As a Canadian, "Advertising" has to be my least favourite category. Luckily Capital One is a thing here and those commercials played on TV.

Tencent wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:09 pm My favorite show has been letting me down a bit recently.
I was expecting her answer to be overturned before Final.

"Bird" or "Yardbird" were the only nicknames as far as I can find.

There is this 1994 CD, but that's 40 years after his death: https://www.allmusic.com/album/birdman-mw0000996825
Last edited by bluejaylink on Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $40,400 (49R, 2W)
DD 2/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Went with Bucharest instead of Belgrade, even though I Just. Looked. At. A. Map. Of. The. Danube. Passing. Through. Belgrade. Literally. Yesterday. Bad miss, I would have wagered aggressively on a geography DD.

Negged with Pollyanna for Goody Two-Shoes, oops. DD came to me slowly but I got there.

Congrats to Sarah for the four-game run!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

I must also say, the writers continue to surprise me in the greatest possible ways when they come up with categories like Pay Respects followed by "F", showing how aware they are of memes and overall Zoomer humor.

The biggest of PogChamp's to them.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I didn't know what "virtuous" meant so I took a flyer and missed hard with Pollyana. Can't say I've heard of the bottom three in Children's Lit.

College & University was utterly impenetrable and I have no idea how anyone knew any of those

Rivers was also very imepenetrable. Any reason I should know where the Tigris river is?

Strangely, $1,200 was my only miss in both American History and '80s TV.

As mentioned, no guess on FJ!

Lach Trash: Samuel Morse, The Planets
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:33 pm Rivers was also very imepenetrable. Any reason I should know where the Tigris river is?
I'm going to try to avoid sounding snarky, but the Tigris should be known to everybody as one of the most important rivers in the history of civilization.