Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, April 30, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by floridagator »

Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm I'm surprised that "The Planets" was a triple stumper when spotted Holst. It's not the first time that's happened. Just seems weird. The contestants were very knowledgeable.
They were spotted Holst and Mercury!

I also mused about whether Bush 41 would be acceptable (I'm guessing BMS) and whether "What's in your wallet?" would be acceptable phrasing for FJ! (I think yes).
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
The clue said it was a saxophonist, so someone who says "Charlie Bird" in response to it is ipso facto not referring to the guitarist.
Newhausen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Newhausen »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:29 amI also mused about whether Bush 41 would be acceptable (I'm guessing BMS) and whether "What's in your wallet?" would be acceptable phrasing for FJ! (I think yes).
Same here, or "Bush I" in my case. BMS between father/son feels awkward here, since the clue quoted the son.
davey

Post by davey »

Linear Gnome wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:29 am
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:11 pm I'm surprised that "The Planets" was a triple stumper when spotted Holst. It's not the first time that's happened. Just seems weird. The contestants were very knowledgeable.
They were spotted Holst and Mercury!

I also mused about whether Bush 41 would be acceptable (I'm guessing BMS) and whether "What's in your wallet?" would be acceptable phrasing for FJ! (I think yes).
The show occasionally has entire categories that reinforce the idea that responses that are questions don't have to be amended. Like this one-
http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... t=question
If you're still unsure, see Alex's remarks at $400.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

MitchO wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:32 pm I love when it's blatantly clear that nobody involves in the clue has any clue about the topic. A while back they had a question about Transformers that picked a character so obscure that I had to look it up to make sure it was even a Transformer, and I'm pretty sure I could name close to 100 of them.
Curious how long ago you mean by "a while" as I couldn't remember this and looking at the Archive I don't see anything recent that fits your description.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

A Wray wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:02 am I gotta defend the judges on the Charlie Parker ruling. Nicknames for people are by definition informal and unofficial, and they weren't asking specifically for his nickname, just his identity. So I think they would and should have accepted "Who is Charlie 'Sax God' Parker?" or "Who is the master of bop himself, Charlie Parker?" or "Who is my all-time favorite musician, and OMG, Alex, I'm so excited I get to say his name on TV, Charlie Parker?"
This is basically what I was thinking, nicknames are in most cases not canonical or official so it's hard to flat-out call this wrong. If you google it there are hits for Charlie Parker with Birdman even if none of them are anything that look particulary authoritative.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:34 am
floridagator wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:25 am Charlie Byrd is definitely wrong because there is a guitarist by that name.
The clue said it was a saxophonist, so someone who says "Charlie Bird" in response to it is ipso facto not referring to the guitarist.
You are wrong. It matters not who a contestant refers to or who they MEANT to say. If they give an incorrect answer, they will be emanciptated of money.

I also think it's hilarious that you think because a clue says a particular thing, that the door is somehow opened to a LARGER number of incorrect answers. It's just the opposite. The more it says in the clue, the more the answer is pinned. For example, if a question which is intended to go for Charlie Parker said, this jazz musician he is frequently called bird. That might leave the door open to Charlie Byrd as an answer. By specifying saxophonist, that eliminates that possibility.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Here is the closed captioning for Jesse's Laos response:

Vientiane.PNG
Vientiane.PNG (233.21 KiB) Viewed 4616 times
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:48 pm Game is done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6622

Another Alex & Sarah show in the FJ! round. Alex will miss Sarah.
Me too. I liked Sarah. Wide knowledge base and a very pleasant personality. I hope she makes the TOC.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I don’t see them taking just Bird. And Charlie Bird gets you a BMS at best or Alex saying “Mmmmm...”. Do you think they would accept Thomas the Hit Man if they asked who Sugar Ray Leonard beat to unify the welterweight title?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Then there's the classic Smith Barney commercials ...

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

reddpen wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 12:28 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm (As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)
Gotta disagree there--Scott omits an entire syllable.
And it's perfectly acceptable to omit that syllable. There are published sources that use Shahrazad, Sharazade, Scherezade, Sherazade, and Scherazad--all close to Scott Lord's spelling, all choosing not to include the unnecessary middle syllable. And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

https://jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=177083#p177083

tl;dr Scott Lord was indisputably correct and abundantly supported by the literature.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

A Wray wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 1:02 am I gotta defend the judges on the Charlie Parker ruling. Nicknames for people are by definition informal and unofficial, and they weren't asking specifically for his nickname, just his identity. So I think they would and should have accepted "Who is Charlie 'Sax God' Parker?" or "Who is the master of bop himself, Charlie Parker?" or "Who is my all-time favorite musician, and OMG, Alex, I'm so excited I get to say his name on TV, Charlie Parker?"
That's well argued. I still wouldn't have minded if Sarah had been negged. But I'm now also cool with the choice they made to accept her response.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:24 am This is basically what I was thinking, nicknames are in most cases not canonical or official so it's hard to flat-out call this wrong. If you google it there are hits for Charlie Parker with Birdman even if none of them are anything that look particulary authoritative.
Ok, but I'm drawing the line at Charlie "Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)" Parker.
astrohip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by astrohip »

A quick shout-out for the "Cheers" clue...

levine.jpg
levine.jpg (22.86 KiB) Viewed 4580 times
Ken & David are sitcom writers going back to the MASH days. They've written (and directed and produced) MASH, Cheers, Frasier and more. Ken Levine has a great blog, with posts on everything from behind-the-scene TV stories, to general musings on current events. He is one of the wittiest, sharpest writers around. Award winning blog.

http://kenlevine.blogspot.com/
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 8:51 am

And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

tl;dr Scott Lord was indisputably correct and abundantly supported by the literature.
Citing yourself is very poor form.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 9:51 am

And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

Citing yourself is very poor form.
Hey man, Penguin is a respected name in the biz. Everyone knows that.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:48 pm (As a side note, did the mention of Scheherazade remind anyone of the time Scott Lord got robbed of his 6th win for using the perfectly acceptable spelling "Scherazade"? Just me? Never mind then. What a ripoff.)
And it's perfectly acceptable to omit that syllable. There are published sources that use Shahrazad, Sharazade, Scherezade, Sherazade, and Scherazad--all close to Scott Lord's spelling, all choosing not to include the unnecessary middle syllable. And the 2011 Penguin edition uses Scherazade, the exact spelling Scott Lord used. (And if you can't trust the bird....) Here are more details if you want them:

...and I've been wondering what the typo was mentioned in the original post. Not "Sindbad," I hope...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 11:51 am
Spoiler

...and I've been wondering what the typo was mentioned in the original post. Not "Sindbad," I hope...
Which original post mentioned a typo? I'm lost.