Friday, May 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, May 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, May 1, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NATIONS OF THE WORLD

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the English-language list of member states of un.org, it's the only nation with a Spanish-language article in its name

Jesse Laymon: 15400+15000=30400 (2X = $43,400)
Ashleigh McCord: 10600-1800=8800
Quemars Ahmed: 15000-15000=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
El Salvador (Ashleigh – Cote Cote D’ivoire) (Quemars – Belize)

Daily Doubles
Jesse: 1800+1800
Quemars: minus 200+2000
Quemars: 12200+3200

Coryats
Jesse: 14400
Ashleigh: 10600
Quemars: 13400

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jesse: 9400
Ashleigh: 3400
Quemars: minus 200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The pineapple cake clue had me recalling this: https://youtu.be/Cy9ZmGO-MQ8

Quemars found DD3 on clue 28 with 12200 and Jesse leading with 15400 while Ashleigh sat at 10200. There were two $400 clues remaining. What to do?

Quemars went for 3200 and tied Jesse. Quemars negged clue 29 a TS and with the possibility of a tie entering the FJ! round if Quemars got it, it was of course Ashleigh who jumped in to close the round.

The FJ! clue had me lost as I spent part of the time not comprehending the clue in looking for some place with a tilde. Once I understood what I should have been doing I wasted the rest of the time looking for a La-Las-Los. Just before time was up I scribbled Sao Tome to have something on the paper.

This makes the miss on Monday taste better since my miss today did not cost me a weekly perfecto that was there for the taking. Fingers crossed Hammer can come through with a solve since he has Spanish knowledge.

Jesse defended his title and once again we have a 2-day champ heading into a break from regular play games. Jesse had 9400 after the J! round and only gaining $6000 in the DJ! round with $36,000 available does not cut it in my book.

LSV can kiss his potential perfecto goodbye as NAMES IN POP CULTURE has to catch him at least once such as the $2000 clue I scooped up.

Nice timing with Quemar's story of catching Manny Ramirez's home run ball that put him past Mantle as both sluggers were part of a recent TD question.
MDCSWildcats86

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

This FJ was Instaget for me.

For the record, Sao Tome e Principe is Portuguese, not Spanish.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6623

Remaining for this season that has already been taped:

Teachers Tournament (with audience)
Two weeks of regular play (without audience)
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

That FJ could use some copy editing. At first I thought it was asking about an English-speaking country with a Spanish article in it. The actual clue is way less interesting.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

hanzz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm That FJ could use some copy editing. At first I thought it was asking about an English-speaking country with a Spanish article in it. The actual clue is way less interesting.
Agree 100%. My suggested wording:

It's the only country in the world whose English name contains a Spanish article.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:49 pm
hanzz wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 2:30 pm That FJ could use some copy editing. At first I thought it was asking about an English-speaking country with a Spanish article in it. The actual clue is way less interesting.

It's the only country in the world whose English name contains a Spanish article.
I do think pinning it to the UN list is helpful. There's enough argument about which countries are even countries, that this kind of question/answer needs to be pinned as much as possible.
hanzz

Post by hanzz »

mahatma wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 3:22 pm

I do think pinning it to the UN list is helpful. There's enough argument about which countries are even countries, that this kind of question/answer needs to be pinned as much as possible.
I agree, and it actually helps me with how I'll write future questions about country-name trivia.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on DDs.
Shame on the contestants for not recognizing the San Diego Chicken. :P
How is Norman Lear a TS? If I can get him, anyone should. :o
FJ gave me little trouble. Wasn't all that confident on El Salvador, but WECIB? :mrgreen:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Not a great DD bet. A miss guarantees third going into FJ, so why not tack on an extra grand to make sure you are in the lead if you get it right. But I am sure Jesse approved as it possibly netted him an extra $10,000.

The FJ wording was a little clunky (just say UN member) but I had it before the music started to complete a perfect week.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Playing devil's advocate here: what disqualifies Belize? It also has "el" in its name. Nothing in the clue said the article had to be a separate word or used in its Spanish-language context.

If the answer is only, "But El Salvador, and it said the ONLY country..." then the clue falls apart because there is no ONLY country that fits the clue.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

+1 .. I started saying out loud "Well, it's not El Salvador because they speak Spanish ..." followed by a mental "Wait a minute ..."
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

0/5 in Sports Mascots and Historic Happenings.

Ran States by Borders. Almost missed the state I live in, though.

NHO those middle three Brit phrases. I said "teapot" at $400, no guess on the other two.

Also NHO "Parasite" to my knowledge.

The beard clue made no sense. What do blue beards have to do with fairy tales?

El, la, los, las. Completely hit a brick wall and couldn't think of any countries with those in the name. Even if El Salvador had surface, I would have swatted it away as a non-English speaking country.

Lach Trash: flesh
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 pm Playing devil's advocate here: what disqualifies Belize? It also has "el" in its name. Nothing in the clue said the article had to be a separate word or used in its Spanish-language context.

If the answer is only, "But El Salvador, and it said the ONLY country..." then the clue falls apart because there is no ONLY country that fits the clue.
So would you count Ireland as correct?
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:38 pm
mas3cf wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:18 pm Playing devil's advocate here: what disqualifies Belize? It also has "el" in its name. Nothing in the clue said the article had to be a separate word or used in its Spanish-language context.

So would you count Ireland as correct?
By the same logic, any country that ends in "land." Why wouldn't they fit the clue?
alamble

Post by alamble »

I understood the wording of FJ perfectly, but still passed up El Salvador because El Salvador is NOT English. Its’ official name is the Republic of El Salvador, which makes both the listing, and subsequently the wording of the clue, dicey, IMO.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I can't join in on the El Salvador discussion because I have an idiot friend who keeps spoiling Jeopardy! for me via text when I've asked him MULTIPLE TIMES never to do that again. I need to make my threats less idle.

Quemars really thought about that late-game DD wager and then bet... to tie?? Makes zero sense to me

lol I just made a study sheet with Blackbeard v. Bluebeard. It's fun when things you study actually come up on the show

I'm glad they got SPORTS MASCOTS out of the way early. I think I got 1/5 there. Less sports, more opera/ballet please
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

DBear wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 6:30 pm
FJ gave me little trouble. Wasn't all that confident on El Salvador, but WECIB? :mrgreen:
WECIB?? I debated between "El Salvador" and "La"-os.

(OK, not really, :mrgreen: but that was the weird thought that flitted through my brain this game, so I thought I'd share before we all go our separate ways for God knows how long in reruns)