Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round

(Putting this here in case we want to use the thread)
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 4, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I thought it was a little iffy to accept "Who is Jones?"
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

I expect the new champ to win several games. :roll:
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 am I expect the new champ to win several games. :roll:
+1
The two triple stumpers:

PLAY TIME $800: A Parcheesi player begins with 4 pieces & can move a maximum of this many of them on one roll of the dice

COUNTRY TIME $1200: In April 1939 this country absorbed Albania

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=224

224 for the id while the next one that goes in will be 6628
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 10:04 am
Golf wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 9:12 am I expect the new champ to win several games. :roll:
+1
The two triple stumpers:

PLAY TIME $800: A Parcheesi player begins with 4 pieces & can move a maximum of this many of them on one roll of the dice

COUNTRY TIME $1200: In April 1939 this country absorbed Albania

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=224

224 for the id while the next one that goes in will be 6628
For historical accuracy, use this link:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050131035 ... 60204.html
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Jeopardy! posted the opening of the show on their YouTube channel and the video shows the music cues used on the show when it originally aired, so this likely means that they are not dubbing the music. :D
I think the video they uploaded is the opening of the rerun airing because it has the original air date (June 2, 2004) on the screen during Alex's opening remarks and Wheel has been doing that with their reruns.
Someone uploaded the closing credits from Ken's penultimate regular-play game on YouTube in 2012 (three years after its rerun on September 9, 2009) and that had the music dubbed over. This Encore Event is really exciting.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

I have my doubts about this guy...
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 11:37 am
I have my doubts about this guy...
This guy looks familiar. Might be another Jeff Kirby.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

anyone got a web archive link to the Sony board thread?
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

Funnily enough, I am already seeing YouTube comments from people new to the show commenting about how "amazing" Jerry Harvey's 2-day total was. "OMG $70K in just 2 games!", they're screaming.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 1:59 pm Funnily enough, I am already seeing YouTube comments from people new to the show commenting about how "amazing" Jerry Harvey's 2-day total was. "OMG $70K in just 2 games!", they're screaming.
Can't wait to see what they're saying 75 games from now...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

54 R (Missed Signs, Merle Haggard(Knew at one time.), Marsha Mason, Ossie Davis, Ben Hogan, and Bob Lemon.)
DD: 2/3
FJ: :(
LT: (Sam Walton), Two, Italy
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Alex said he was rushing the introduction and getting right to the game. So he knew when it was filmed it would one day be rerun with an introduction by Ken tacked on the beginning so he needed to save time. Amazing.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

It is quite astonishing to see that Julia almost won this and how close KJ came to being just another contestant.
ACW

Post by ACW »

seaborgium wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 6:49 am I thought it was a little iffy to accept "Who is Jones?"
Yeah, he got lucky there.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm Alex said he was rushing the introduction and getting right to the game. So he knew when it was filmed it would one day be rerun with an introduction by Ken tacked on the beginning so he needed to save time. Amazing.
Does this mean that there is a special intro at the beginning of the rerun today? When Netflix had the IBM Challenge, it began with an intro from Alex saying they were "encore presentations", which means that Netflix had the Summer Rerun version of the episode.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:52 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 04, 2020 4:37 pm Alex said he was rushing the introduction and getting right to the game. So he knew when it was filmed it would one day be rerun with an introduction by Ken tacked on the beginning so he needed to save time. Amazing.
Does this mean that there is a special intro at the beginning of the rerun today? When Netflix had the IBM Challenge, it began with an intro from Alex saying they were "encore presentations", which means that Netflix had the Summer Rerun version of the episode.
Ken came on and said they were going to rerun the GOAT matches the next two weeks and that they were going to rerun his first episode today.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

And of course "Jones" is wrong anyway since, according to the IOC, she didn't win any medals. :D

Here's something I posted years ago as a reflection on that:

SCENE: THE JENNINGS' BEDROOM. KEN JENNINGS is asleep in bed. He tosses and turns.

FADE TO: The Jeopardy! studio. There are THREE CONTESTANTS behind the podiums. In front and off to the side stand JERRY HARVEY, JULIA LAZARUS, and KEN JENNINGS. Sound volume is low and echo-ey at first, gradually fading in to normal with the picture as we hear

JOHNNY GILBERT: ...the host of Jeopardy! Alex Trebek!

ALEX TREBEK walks on stage.

ALEX: Thank you Johnny. Thank you Ladies and gentlemen. In case you missed our Friday game, we have an impressive new champion in Kim Wilkerson. She gave full value for that $32,000. She was quick. She was gutsy. And she was dominating.

CUT TO: KIM WILKERSON looking pleased and a little flustered.

CUT TO: ALEX TREBEK

ALEX: Before we start today's game, we have a bit of business to attend to. you may notice I have three former players on the stage with me—Jerry Harvey, Julia Lazarus, and Ken Jennings. We've brought them here to announce a change in scoring that affects the results of the game they played on June 2nd, 2004.

CUT TO: JERRY, JULIA, and KEN. They look pleased to be there and a little expectant, unsure what comes next. KEN's expression also contains a little puzzlement, a little worry, but not much.

ALEX: Ken, I'm afraid we've got some bad news for you. The judges have ruled your Final Jeopardy response of "Jones" to be incorrect. Unfortunately, Marion Jones won no medals at the 2000 Olympics.

CUT TO: KEN. He tries to smile and give an "oh well" look as ALEX continues. He's getting more worried. The camera stays on KEN as his face gradually crumples during the following.

ALEX: So we've got to adjust your final score in that game to $2,799, which means you finish in third place. That of course means we can no longer give you credit for the 73 games that followed or for your second-place finishes in the Ultimate Tournament of Champions and the contest against IBM's Watson. That reduces your winnings by $3,196,300, But you do get to keep $1000 of that for your third-place finish in your first game.

CUT BACK TO: ALEX TREBEK just as KEN appears about to burst into tears.

ALEX: (turning slightly) Julia Lazarus, this ends up being good news for you, young lady! Even though you also missed that Final Jeopardy, you came out in first place with $14,801. We'll be crediting you with that money and we'll bring you back as returning champion to play your second game later this season.

CUT TO: JULIA LAZARUS, smiling, clapping for herself along with the audience.

ALEX: Jerry Harvey, the news isn't quite so spectacular for you. But we are giving you an extra $1000 for coming in second rather than third.

CUT TO: JERRY HARVEY, smiling, a little sheepish, raising his hands with a bit of a shrug.

CUT TO: THE JENNINGS' BEDROOM. KEN is still asleep. He gasps and sits bolt upright. MINDY JENNINGS, out of focus on the other side of the bed, turns over to face him and murmurs

MINDY: What's the matter, Ken? Why are you so upset?

KEN: I was dreaming about how the Olympics committee stripped Marion Jones of her medals. It was horrible!

MINDY: (sleepily) You're so sweet. Always thinking of other people.

KEN: Sometimes I think you don't even know me.