Learned League 84

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: Learned League 84

Post by StevenH »

ilcap wrote: Sat May 02, 2020 1:51 pm
alietr wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 4:37 pm Seeing Ike Barinholtz and Dave Weigel on Millionaire and thinly hiding their LL association, I was wondering (besides Mick Mulvaney) who the other "famous" (not Jeopardy types) people in LL. I think a few others have been mentioned in the past, but I can't remember who they are.
MazinC appears to be Craig Mazin.

Edit: Oh, and Helen Rosner plays too
John Cochran, who appeared twice on the U.S. version of Survivor and won once, used to play as CochranJohn. I beat him the one time that we played each other when he was in my D rundle in LL67.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

I pride myself on how seldom I make RTFQ errors in LL but I've made two pretty dumb ones in two days. In the "Orange" quiz, a question asked the Orange river separated which two countries on its way to the Atlantic? I guess I thought South Africa was so obvious that they wouldn't bother to ask for it, but of course they did, because "two". Then yesterday in Celebrity Deaths, there was "Where, specifically, were Whitney and Bobbi Kristina Brown each found?", and I somehow read "specifically" as "respectively", even though I was pretty pissed off at having to name both, because it always strikes me as unfair when half the right answer is scored the same as none of the right answer. So instead of "bathtub", I answered with bathtub and something else.
I'm smart and I want respect.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Lefty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 am I pride myself on how seldom I make RTFQ errors in LL but I've made two pretty dumb ones in two days. In the "Orange" quiz, a question asked the Orange river separated which two countries on its way to the Atlantic? I guess I thought South Africa was so obvious that they wouldn't bother to ask for it, but of course they did, because "two". Then yesterday in Celebrity Deaths, there was "Where, specifically, were Whitney and Bobbi Kristina Brown each found?", and I somehow read "specifically" as "respectively", even though I was pretty pissed off at having to name both, because it always strikes me as unfair when half the right answer is scored the same as none of the right answer. So instead of "bathtub", I answered with bathtub and something else.
"Bathtub and something else" would usually be scored as correct. Did you actually say "something else and bathtub"?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I've been meaning to look this up and share it for the benefit of boardies that don't do LL but will read this thread:

On March 1, (MD9) we had the following question:

An audio-visual cable and accessories manufacturing company received a bit of bad news on February 11, 2020, due to an official announcement made that day by World Health Organization chief Tedros Ghebreyesus regarding disease terminology. What is the name of that company?
Spoiler
Covid
The league average was 70%, with the negbait Corona at 10% for the most common wrong answer. Thorsten timed this question a lot better than our Executive branch's response.

But rest assured, one day we will wake up and it will all be gone :roll: . I have it on the bestest of authority.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 10:03 am But rest assured, one day we will wake up and it will all be gone :roll: . I have it on the bestest of authority.
Like a miracle I heard!
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

jeff6286 wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 9:28 am
Lefty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:32 am I pride myself on how seldom I make RTFQ errors in LL but I've made two pretty dumb ones in two days. In the "Orange" quiz, a question asked the Orange river separated which two countries on its way to the Atlantic? I guess I thought South Africa was so obvious that they wouldn't bother to ask for it, but of course they did, because "two". Then yesterday in Celebrity Deaths, there was "Where, specifically, were Whitney and Bobbi Kristina Brown each found?", and I somehow read "specifically" as "respectively", even though I was pretty pissed off at having to name both, because it always strikes me as unfair when half the right answer is scored the same as none of the right answer. So instead of "bathtub", I answered with bathtub and something else.
"Bathtub and something else" would usually be scored as correct. Did you actually say "something else and bathtub"?
Wow, you're right. It hadn't occurred to me that I could score 11/12 and still finish tied for 418th. I guess it was an easy quiz. Or maybe a lot of people are really into death.

The one I missed was about the two cities. Las Vegas I knew but I was looking for the other to be in the east.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Lefty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm
Wow, you're right. It hadn't occurred to me that I could score 11/12 and still finish tied for 418th. I guess it was an easy quiz. Or maybe a lot of people are really into death.

The one I missed was about the two cities. Las Vegas I knew but I was looking for the other to be in the east.
10/12 here, 182nd. Yeah, it seemed far easier than I expected. As always on these, the biggest difference on scores is how smart/lucky/unlucky you are in selecting the money questions. Really surprised that the "27" question turned out to be one of the hardest, and I didn't money it. I mean "Jim Morrison".... hello? Did players overlook "men" in the question and answer "Janis Joplin"?

ETA: Oh, I suppose Hendrix might have sneaked in there as well.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

RandyG wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 7:14 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed May 06, 2020 5:51 pm

10/12 here, 182nd. Yeah, it seemed far easier than I expected. As always on these, the biggest difference on scores is how smart/lucky/unlucky you are in selecting the money questions. Really surprised that the "27" question turned out to be one of the hardest, and I didn't money it. I mean "Jim Morrison".... hello? Did players overlook "men" in the question and answer "Janis Joplin"?

ETA: Oh, I suppose Hendrix might have sneaked in there as well.
Yeah, I got bit by Hendrix.

I am really annoyed on the stand-up 1DS - I knew the last one was Joan Rivers but my fingers typed "Joan Collins" instead. I still did pretty well regardless. I was glad to have had the courage to money Letterkenny, despite having only seen it (or rather, heard of it) via repeated memes.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I went 12/12 in the Portmanteaus 1DS and came in 99th, having cost myself 50 points with two bad moneys. I didn't expect that a word from "Jabberwocky," practically the origin of portmanteaus, would play the hardest. I should have expected that more people wouldn't realize "electrocution" was a portmanteau, given I was well into adulthood by the time I learned that.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I mentioned my recent struggles to RTFQ, but it seems my game of reading my own uckfing answers could also stand improvement. In the Thurber quiz, I omitted the "b" in "Catbird" and it cost me money. The question about "one of Thurber's finest illustrators" I didn't get in either sense; didn't he do his own illustrating? I suppose it was after his blindness had advanced some.

I did look at the Portmanteau quiz, but was too shy to approach it. I was also surprised by frumious's lowish score; less so by bromance's extremely high one.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Lefty wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 5:23 pmThe question about "one of Thurber's finest illustrators" I didn't get in either sense; didn't he do his own illustrating? I suppose it was after his blindness had advanced some.
Correct, Marc Simont -- specifically selected by Thurber after he was too blind to draw -- illustrated the first editions of the books "The Wonderful O" and "The 13 Clocks." Other editions of those books, as well as various editions of some other Thurber books, have included illustrations by other artists.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

So, if anyone wants a good simulation of doing a PhD candidacy exam for which you are underprepared, please do the psychology and behavioral science minileague!

There, now you don't have to go to grad school!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

boson wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 7:45 am So, if anyone wants a good simulation of doing a PhD candidacy exam for which you are underprepared, please do the psychology and behavioral science minileague!

There, now you don't have to go to grad school!
I thought I'd have a go at a squishy science and maybe learn something about stamp collecting. I wound up getting 10 of the 66 questions with 3 goose eggs along the 11 days. I appreciate how hard the smiths worked on it and they must be dismayed at 5 of the questions with single digit percentage get rates.

I'm glad I hitched along for the ride. About half was pure YEKIOYD and I didn't retain much. It seemed like the reading level and vocabulary were very advanced to either make the subject seem hard or to make it seem more important. But overall, well done. I'd like to hear a professionals take on the perceived difficulty. And I'll wait for another thermodynamics or particle physics quiz to make me feel better :)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I checked it out one day and I didn’t even understand the questions, much less have an answer.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Bamaman wrote: Fri May 15, 2020 6:08 am I checked it out one day and I didn’t even understand the questions, much less have an answer.
I'm a civil engineer who took zero psychology courses, didn't even consider registering. I read Q1 on day 1 and patted myself on the back for not registering. I read through the rest of day 1, and my only thought was "words, words, words"...