Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, May 25, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. GEOGRAPHY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Touching Canada at Boundary County, the northern part of this state’s Panhandle has been referred to as “The Chimney”

Amanda Baltimore: 15600+2000=17600 (Semifinalist)
Peter Gouveia: 11000-4601=6399
Ivory Johnson: 0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Idaho (Peter – Minnesota)

Daily Doubles
Ivory: 3400-3400
Amanda: 10800-2000
Ivory: 4400-4400

Coryats
Amanda: 17600
Peter: 11000
Ivory: 7800

Combined: 36,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amanda: 5600
Peter: 3400
Ivory: 0
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alex did voice over work to try to let viewers know this is a new tournament. The "This is a new Jeopardy!" appeared multiple times also along with the graphic for "Taped February 2020" when Alex came out.

A bit of the open & close: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1T3_Bz ... 2eHS_cWr-j

The players probably could have got through 70 clues if needed as the pace was fast.

1/5 on big clues was unfortunate as Ivory is definitely not making the semis thanks to his two farm misses on DDs and Peter's chances are not great either.

The FJ! clue quickly narrowed possible from 50 to 9 (AK, CT, FL, ID, MD, NE, OK, TX & WV. Which one touches Canada and looks like it has a chimney? Done. If East Coast disadvantage affects viewers then it opens up the box to possibles beyond the 9.

Alex shook hands at the end and whoever wins could be the last contestant ever seen to shake hands with Alex for a useless trivia nugget or special distinction for that person. The true last hand shook when taking into account taping order would be...?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It is finished: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6664

No double digit TS or Ws. I'll take it.

On a second viewing it's still funny to hear Alex read "D-nice", "Balakay", & "A.A. Ron"
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

My DVR didnt record it again................ Make Sure Yours will since 95% of people reading this hasnt yet had the episode air yet.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I went with the wrong side of the country and said "New Hampshire". :(

Although in my mind's eye it had a panhandle like Idaho, the shape of the state is really a very gradual thinning, rather than a narrow protrusion, and no part of New Hampshire is referred to as a "panhandle".
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I wonder if Amanda actually knew it, or if she was just giving the default state name joke answer.
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :D :roll: on DDs. Couldn't parse out that they were looking for Passover.
FJ was pure WECIB. :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Good to see the home-county teacher win the match and move on.

FJ was an instaget.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $23,000 (33R, 1W)
DD 1/3
FJ :(

WTF, was this a Teacher's Tournament game or a TOC final? Tons of stuff I've NHO. Missed my averages by a good $15k and 12 right answers.

Went with NH on FJ. Was sure I had it, ID didn't even cross my mind. BADBADBAD :( :x :evil:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I'm an atheist and it still royally pisses me off how literally every contestant thinks the last book of the Bible is "Revelations". This one didn't even get the S-less rebound!

====

Ran Anagrams but got only $200 in History and $600 in Archies.

I was thrown by the DD in Bible but got the others.

Any reason I should know that 9/32 is college-ruled and not wide-ruled? That seemed like a coinflip.

Also NHO "binder clips".

In DJ!, brain cramp on Lindbergh kept me from the run in Fact.

My head was miles beneath that Recent Bestsellers list. I could have taken 400 guesses and never gotten "Mexico" in the top box.

A panhandle state that touches Canada? Uh... Idaho? Sure, why not.

Lach Trash: cauliflower, Revelation, stranger, general/specific. Also got the Cobalt DD.
davey

Post by davey »

My least favorite type of "geography" clue, requiring visualizing the map. At first I thought that shape at the top of Michigan might qualify as a panhandle, but nearly as the clock ran out the state with a chimney came in focus (never knew it was referred to as a panhandle), and I had just enough time to scrawl it... whew!
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

mas3cf wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 7:47 pm Missed my averages by a good $15k and 12 right answers.

Went with NH on FJ. Was sure I had it, ID didn't even cross my mind. BADBADBAD :( :x :evil:
For folks like you and I who are actively trying to improve our scores/averages, I've also found that tourney games can play harder at times - different, more specific types of subjects than regular play (school supplies, for example).

FJ: I completely skipped the "chimney" hint, read "Boundary" and figured that meant corner.. thus, the western part of the nation. Landed on Idaho from there. Congrats to Amanda for a strong performance and victory.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Usually the Teachers Tournament is quite a bit easier so it was nice to see this game. Wasn’t American Dirt the center of a scandal for veracity? I’m planning (well, it’s on hold now!) to the Dakotas, Montana, and Idaho in late summer so I was able to get FJ. If not for the trip planning, I probably wouldn’t have known it. Amanda was impressive!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I think have heard it called a chimney before but it still took a few seconds.

Ivory had no choice but to go big on the last DD. I wonder if he knew FJ.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 pm Ivory had no choice but to go big on the last DD. I wonder if he knew FJ.
Sure he had a choice. He could have went low if it was a category he didn't like (which I suspect it was) and tried to double up in FJ.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

“Admiral” Perry should not have been accepted.

LOL at the science teacher’s wagering on the science DD and then getting it wrong. Her students may have fun with that.
Golf

Post by Golf »

econgator wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 9:22 pm
Bamaman wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:37 pm Ivory had no choice but to go big on the last DD. I wonder if he knew FJ.
Sure he had a choice. He could have went low if it was a category he didn't like (which I suspect it was) and tried to double up in FJ.
How often does $8790 qualify as a wildcard? Without checking the stats I’d say not often. And if you feel that bad about the category to begin with, it’s highly doubtful you’ll pick off the final $2k to be able to max out at $12790.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Johnblue wrote: Mon May 25, 2020 8:32 pm Wasn’t American Dirt the center of a scandal for veracity?
Not quite, since AFAIK the book is fiction - in a nutshell, the scandal was that it was a Caucasian author writing about a fictional Mexican experience crossing the border. Part of the issue is that there are many Mexican and other Latino and Latina authors who are trying to break into publication and have their voice heard. There may have been some specifics in the book that folks took umbrage with, as well - that had characters that were "deservedly easy" to sympathize with, and the representations of Mexicans may not have been authentic. I didn't recall the controversy within the game, but when you mentioned it, a bit of it did come back. It was a big story way back in January - Oprah was involved. Of course, given how time has dilated since March, these clues are going to get harder and harder, aren't they?

Although, actually, the Bolsonaro clue was remarkably easy. Oh, J!, you are a crystal ball, sometimes...

I had a coinflip for FJ! - Wisconsin or Michigan. Turns out I was THINKING of the shape of Minnesota...but of course none of that mattered. Oh well.

Math geek warning: No, you don't multiply by 2.54 to convert inches to centimeters. You multiply by (2.54 cm / 1 inch), which is a fraction equal to 1. Factor-label method...you cancel out the inches, and it leaves the cm. That way you never, ever get it wrong - if you multiply by (1 in/2.54 cm), you wind up with units of in^2/cm. I mean, for a J! clue, it's fine...I just love making conversions as brainless as possible.

For some reason, I thought of "banana clip", but that didn't sound right, and I clammed. Apparently it's a women's hair clip or something? Never seen one in my life, but heard the phrase, and thought it might fit.

Revelatio-N- is something I learned just a few months ago from watching J!. I said the "s", caught it, corrected myself, and grinned at the response given. Oops.

When the category is Archie, it's a little pedantic to ask for Manning's first name, but...okay, Alex. I mean, I guess you sort of have to, since they didn't specifically state that Archie was the father in the clue.

I didn't know a 3M employee invented Post-Its. I thought Lisa Kudrow and Mira Sorvino did. Or maybe they were the employees?

In the file of "How I'd love to answer, but wouldn't dare:" Am I Spartacus?