Wednesday, June 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, June 3, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:59 pm Alex gives us a Belgian accent for Poirot and whatever that was for McCarthy (he was from Wisconsin, not Mississippi) but he couldn’t help us out with a German accent on Kissinger?
The McCarthy thing was just bizarre. I have a feeling Alex didn't know he was from Wisconsin.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:37 pm
Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 7:59 pm Alex gives us a Belgian accent for Poirot and whatever that was for McCarthy (he was from Wisconsin, not Mississippi) but he couldn’t help us out with a German accent on Kissinger?
The McCarthy thing was just bizarre. I have a feeling Alex didn't know he was from Wisconsin.
The speech was delivered in West Virginia, and there's no recording of it, so maybe Alex believes McCarthy was one of those politicians who reflects the group he's with??... ;)
I wrote "Notre Dame de Paris" for FJ, also the name of the book... :geek:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:54 pm I wrote "Notre Dame de Paris" for FJ, also the name of the book... :geek:
I did, too.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:D :D :D on Daily Doubles
Ran the math category. :geek:
My precall for FJ was the Arc de Triomphe. Easy enough to get to Notre Dame. : :mrgreen:
In all, seemed the most straight forward game so far, Indiana Jones notwithstanding :|
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm DD3 might have worked better as an FJ. I only got it by pausing playback and thinking through the parts. Louis XIV --> Sun King + "fittingly" + "mother of this Roman god" --> who was Apollo's mother? Wait, her name's already in the clue. Latona, right? They're giving me that. They just want who she's the mother of. "Who is Apollo?" Final response, Alex.
I completely agree with this, just too many cogs need to turn in order to parse this one out. Would be a nice FJ.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Alex gives us a Belgian accent for Poirot and whatever that was for McCarthy (he was from Wisconsin, not Mississippi) but he couldn’t help us out with a German accent on Kissinger?
Yeah, the McCarthy thing was funny. I wonder if Alex was doing Johnny Iselin from The Manchurian Candidate.
Sounded like Strother Martin from Cool Hand Luke to me.
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Music teachers FTW!

Is it possible that the reason Alex didn't do Clinton or Thatcher impressions is they stopped tape and told him to knock it off? His Kissinger certainly wasn't helpful, and his McCarthy was so wrong that I just stared at the TV, flummoxed. I'm glad Lauren wasn't confused.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 pm I've looked it over and over for the last few minutes, and I see no problem with my answer, so I will come to you judges for a ruling:

Particle accelerator for Large Hadron Collider?

I see no hint that they were looking for the specific CERN collider, but just "this device" that it is...
I said particle accelerator too. I think it’s either correct as-is or gets a BMS.

I played from the archive, my local airing was pre-empted by coverage of an earthquake and protests. I felt the earthquake, it was not worthy of breaking news coverage. ABC spent Jeopardy time interviewing somebody reporting from home who confirmed that they did not feel the earthquake. Very important info, critical need-to-know stuff.

No problem getting Notre Dame.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm I was surprised by the neg on the Indiana Jones clue. I thought everyone knew the original had been re-branded for franchise purposes.
Yeah, that got the DVD forum I frequented back in the day hot under the collar. As if tampering with Star Wars wasn't enough, Lucas then goes after IJ. Technically "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is incorrect now.
MattKnowles wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:45 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:14 pm I've looked it over and over for the last few minutes, and I see no problem with my answer, so I will come to you judges for a ruling:

Particle accelerator for Large Hadron Collider?

I see no hint that they were looking for the specific CERN collider, but just "this device" that it is...
I said particle accelerator too. I think it’s either correct as-is or gets a BMS.

I played from the archive, my local airing was pre-empted by coverage of an earthquake and protests. I felt the earthquake, it was not worthy of breaking news coverage. ABC spent Jeopardy time interviewing somebody reporting from home who confirmed that they did not feel the earthquake. Very important info, critical need-to-know stuff.

No problem getting Notre Dame.
BMS on the accelerator. There's a few accelerators at CERN but only one has reached 9.9T°F

I don't think it was necessarily earthquake coverage, I think they were just killing time for Garcetti's speech...I gave up after 10 minutes though. (A 5.5 is -not- breaking news...lawn chairs don't even fall over)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Henry Kissinger, The Woman in Cabin 10, Supplemental Restraint System, Daniel, Hot Rollers, (Apollo)
Douglas Squasoni
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Category 13 wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:37 am
opusthepenguin wrote:
Bamaman wrote: Alex gives us a Belgian accent for Poirot and whatever that was for McCarthy (he was from Wisconsin, not Mississippi) but he couldn’t help us out with a German accent on Kissinger?
Yeah, the McCarthy thing was funny. I wonder if Alex was doing Johnny Iselin from The Manchurian Candidate.
Sounded like Strother Martin from Cool Hand Luke to me.
Could have been; it definitely wasn't Joseph McCarthy. But Lauren answered correctly, so it turned out there was no failure to communicate.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 10:40 pm I was surprised by the neg on the Indiana Jones clue. I thought everyone knew the original had been re-branded for franchise purposes.
Yeah, that got the DVD forum I frequented back in the day hot under the collar. As if tampering with Star Wars wasn't enough, Lucas then goes after IJ. Technically "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is incorrect now.
I wouldn't go that far. The title of the movie as it appears on the screen is still "Raiders of the Lost Ark," so I'd consider that the "correct" title. The "Indy" stuff was just added for the packaging/rebranding.
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 pmYeah, that got the DVD forum I frequented back in the day hot under the collar. As if tampering with Star Wars wasn't enough, Lucas then goes after IJ. Technically "Raiders of the Lost Ark" is incorrect now.
I saw Raiders in its IMAX rerelease (2012 I think) and at a couple of “classic movie nights” at my local cinema; the Lucasfilm rename abomination was not present at any of them, thank Ghod.