Tuesday, June 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Don't Think Twice
Contributor

Re: Tuesday, June 9, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Don't Think Twice »

Anyone know if this show was filmed on March 17, St. Patrick's Day? I ask because the returning champ and the contestant in the middle were both wearing Kelly green. The middle lady was even wearing a green ribbon around her neck. It didn't bring them luck, though.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:25 pm
DBear wrote: Agree with above poster on the Johnny Carson TS :o
Especially since the clue stated he was already a star at the time the movie was in the making. King of Comedy came out in 1983, so Letterman and Lenno were not household names yet.

I clammed on it because I wasn't sure between Johnny Carson & Steve Allen.
I imagine they didn't know when King of Comedy came out and assumed it was more recent.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

Don't Think Twice wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:32 pm Anyone know if this show was filmed on March 17, St. Patrick's Day? I ask because the returning champ and the contestant in the middle were both wearing Kelly green. The middle lady was even wearing a green ribbon around her neck. It didn't bring them luck, though.
Nope, March 17 was definitely post-COVID. Taped Wednesday, March 11, I believe, and after this week, we're out of new episodes. I think it'll be awhile before new episodes of J! start - I've heard rumors they're doing Big Brother by flying houseguests out and quarantining them for 2 weeks, but that won't work for J!. With 12 or 13 contestants per day in the green room from all corners of the country, I think it would be way too risky.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My dad tried to think of all the first 15 presidents before FJ, and he was able to name 14. (I knew who was left, but wasn't telling him.) He said, "Watch, the correct answer is going to be the one I missed," and I thought no way. And that presupposition prevented me from realizing that Pierce was indeed correct. I know a Concord is in New Hampshire, I know Pierce was from New Hampshire, and yet I had my mind set from the outset that it couldn't be Pierce, and I lamely guessed John Adams. It's frustrating to know that I had all the necessary pieces for solving this, but a quirk of psychology prevented me from making it happen.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:34 pm
Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 9:25 pm
Especially since the clue stated he was already a star at the time the movie was in the making. King of Comedy came out in 1983, so Letterman and Lenno were not household names yet.

I imagine they didn't know when King of Comedy came out and assumed it was more recent.
The clue was "This legend of NBC late night turned down the role that Jerry Lewis eventually played in 'The King of Comedy'". I don't read that as saying the person was necessarily already a legend of late night. The wording doesn't rule that out, but it doesn't require it either. My first guess was Letterman, probably triggered by the phrase "late night". In retrospect, Johnny was the obvious guess because he's closer in age to Lewis. And Leno was a terrible guess because he was never a legend of late night. :twisted:
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 10:44 pm My dad tried to think of all the first 15 presidents before FJ, and he was able to name 14. (I knew who was left, but wasn't telling him.) He said, "Watch, the correct answer is going to be the one I missed," and I thought no way. And that presupposition prevented me from realizing that Pierce was indeed correct. I know a Concord is in New Hampshire, I know Pierce was from New Hampshire, and yet I had my mind set from the outset that it couldn't be Pierce, and I lamely guessed John Adams. It's frustrating to know that I had all the necessary pieces for solving this, but a quirk of psychology prevented me from making it happen.
I was similarly frustrated, though I probably can't blame it on your dad. I know, if you ask me, what the capital of New Hampshire is. And I know Pierce is our 14th president and the only one from New Hampshire. Like you, all the pieces were there. Yet somehow I saw "Concord" and thought "Lexington and Concord--must be someone from Massachusetts." So I went with John Q. Adams since he seemed marginally more likely than his dad (even though I knew he went on to be elected to the House of Representatives).

So... I feel your pain. How did we not get this?
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Volante wrote:
Category 13 wrote:

The clue was "This legend of NBC late night turned down the role that Jerry Lewis eventually played in 'The King of Comedy'". I don't read that as saying the person was necessarily already a legend of late night. The wording doesn't rule that out, but it doesn't require it either. My first guess was Letterman, probably triggered by the phrase "late night". In retrospect, Johnny was the obvious guess because he's closer in age to Lewis. And Leno was a terrible guess because he was never a legend of late night. :twisted:
One also has to consider Jerry Lewis' age and when he was last a viable film actor. His most memorable films were from the fifties to early/mid sixties. His movie roles were few and far between by the time King of Comedy came along.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was enjoying that middle names category when the champ went back to can splaining. And those Clues were all so effing long! Then time ran out and we never got back to middle names. So I wished him to lose.

So many stupid answers in this game, I can't remember them all. Chihuahua a pepper and a sauce? Not to mention it's in northern Mexico. Ed Sullivan was never on in late night, and he was on CBS anyway. And he was long dead before the king of comedy was made. And he wasn't a comedian.

FJ was instant. Concord + obscure + pre civil war president, done. For those who say they don't know one fact about Franklin Pierce: he was said to be the most handsome president ever, he was a horrible drunk, and there is a university named after him in Rindge, New Hampshire.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:10 pm A cruise line sponsored a Clue Crew trip to a landlocked country. :lol:
Hey now, there is the Danube River. Plus, Viking Cruise Line mainly has river cruises. Speaking about that category (History of Hungary), my dad & I both thought that would be way too obscure, but he managed to get 3/5 on that category I think (My dad had Soviet Army for the $200 clue...which I think would’ve been accepted.).

I nailed the sole missed DD, but whiffed on FJ (I had John Q Adams like Shelli or James Buchanan).

Entertaining show overall.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

rockyboy34 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:52 pm
Bamaman wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 8:10 pm A cruise line sponsored a Clue Crew trip to a landlocked country. :lol:
Hey now, there is the Danube River. Plus, Viking Cruise Line mainly has river cruises. Speaking about that category (History of Hungary), my dad & I both thought that would be way too obscure, but he managed to get 3/5 on that category I think (My dad had Soviet Army for the $200 clue...which I think would’ve been accepted.).

I nailed the sole missed DD, but whiffed on FJ (I had John Q Adams like Shelli or James Buchanan).

Entertaining show overall.
Viking's even going to start doing cruises on the Mississippi (...maybe? They have dates for 2022 and 2023...) but $4k a pop...yuck.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 11:19 pm
opusthepenguin wrote:
Volante wrote:
Category 13 wrote:

One also has to consider Jerry Lewis' age and when he was last a viable film actor. His most memorable films were from the fifties to early/mid sixties. His movie roles were few and far between by the time King of Comedy came along.
More important, Jerry Lewis was a legend in 1983, like him or not. He makes the movie resonate, in a way few besides Johnny Carson could have...
DeNiro paid homage in Joker to that movie and Lewis's role...though I might call it more of a travesty... :evil:
For HBCUs 2000, I said Hampton College and am not sure whether to accept it. On its website, it refers to its past as a college, but it apparently never had that word in its name - it went from Hampton Normal School to Hampton Institute to Hampton University. But you see, my response was really "What is Hampton, college?"... ;) I'm pretty sure I would have won the game anyway with an easy FJ... :)
Last edited by davey on Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MitchO wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:31 pm Other than size, is there any reason whatsoever that should lead me to assume this was Concord NH instead of Concord VA? It's not like Virginia was a major source of early Presidents or anything ...
Significance? Concord NH is the state capital; Concord VA is a burg of fewer than 1,500 that almost no one not from the area even knows exists.
ETA: Perhaps you meant Concord MA?

For $1200 in Women Artists, anyone else say trompe l'oeil? I know it's a fancy pants furren term, but It literally means trick the eye.

Poll request for the Anne Tyler TS in 2 Books in 1. I'd ask for Carson too but that might poll at 100%.
In and out of the pool four times
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:23 am
MitchO wrote: Tue Jun 09, 2020 7:31 pm Other than size, is there any reason whatsoever that should lead me to assume this was Concord NH instead of Concord VA? It's not like Virginia was a major source of early Presidents or anything ...
Significance? Concord NH is the state capital; Concord VA is a burg of fewer than 1,500 that almost no one not from the area even knows exists.

For $1200 in Women Artists, anyone else say trompe l'oeil? I know it's a fancy pants furren term, but It literally means trick the eye.
1. I know that JQA took ill and died in the Capitol, so I went with Pierce.

2. The year(s) given pointed me to Op-Art.
OCSam
davey

Post by davey »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:23 am

Poll request for the Anne Tyler TS in 2 Books in 1. I'd ask for Carson too but that might poll at 100%.
But trompe l'oeil is an effect, not a "movement," as in the clue...
I was ashamed that I said "Breathing Room," not "Breathing Lessons," though I used to be a big Anne Tyler fan...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

reddpen wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:23 am For $1200 in Women Artists, anyone else say trompe l'oeil? I know it's a fancy pants furren term, but It literally means trick the eye.
Oui
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I almost went with "trompe l'oeil" too but ended up staying clam.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I also facepalmed at the Carson TS. Kids these days.... :mrgreen: For FJ, I precalled the post-Jackson one-and-dones but then faltered when given Concord. I vainly tried to think of one from MA and only too late thought to include NH. Bah!
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Thanks to all who informed me about Viking river cruises.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 1:02 pm Thanks to all who informed me about Viking river cruises.
To be fair, I remember being at an airport and talking with a lady who was flying to Vienna for a cruise, which initially confused me until I later remembered about river cruises.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.