Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, June 11, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MEDICAL HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
One of the first recorded autopsies was performed on this man & revealed 23 puncture marks

Zach Newkirk: 21800-726=21074 (3x = $65,674)
Iman Shervington: 1200-1100=100
Jennifer Kosmin: 7800-7800=0

Correct response:
Spoiler
Julius Caesar (Zach – Bram Stoker) (Iman – Who is?) (Jennifer – Who is)

Daily Doubles
Jennifer: 3200+800
Jennifer: 7400-2000
Zach: 12000+5000

Coryats
Zach: 18400
Iman: 1200
Jennifer: 9800

Combined: 29,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Zach: 4800
Iman: minus 800
Jennifer: 5000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Zach is Rivera or Eck in being a solid closer. At DD2 Jennifer trailed only 7400 to 8800 and had the chance to take the lead if she had solved it.

Five clues later Zach played DD3 and suddenly he led 17000 to 6200 after his solve.

The judges had to do another clue reversal.
A RIVER RUNS UNDER IT $1600:
West Virginia’s lost river disappears under a ridge in this mountain chain, then emerges as the Cacapon River on the other side

Zach was negged for Blue Ridge Mountains and Jennifer rebounded it. Zach got his money back at chat time when his response was deemed acceptable.

Even though I understand the movie is 28 years ago or so and the players are youngish enough for it to not to be in their sweet spot, it still pained my 1908s heart that no one knew the actor who played Spicoli. :roll:

The hilarious pop culture crime was the guesses for the show with "Nanu nanu".

The FJ! category had me skip the precall game and take the clue with a fresh mind. Today it worked as it did not take long for the aha moment to click. The contestants had no such luck and I completely get having nothing on it. Nice try by Zach to come up with something and good spot to be with the runaway and "little" at risk.

Unless I missed a name with a quick look, Zach is now the all-time Zach on the show.

With the unusual name I'm guessing this is Iman's IMDb page: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm2862571/
Golf

Post by Golf »

So it appears that Jennifer threw away $1k in FJ in a blatantly obvious situation for absolutely no reason?

In a very close lock game I can advocate this in hopes that a certain contestant type makes a math error, but this is definitely not that rare situation.

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:30 am Even though I understand the movie is 28 years ago or so and the players are youngish enough for it to not to be in their sweet spot, it still pained my 1908s heart that no one knew the actor who played Spicoli. :roll:
Actually 38 years. Yes, that makes me feel old as well. But I guess nobody wants to catch those tasty waves these days. They don't know what they're missing.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Archiving complete: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6697

A ton of TS clues though you need 10900 from the 4th podium to win.

In DJ! it was definitely past a minute when the last clue was called after Alex said less than a minute and it was about 1:15 until the round was done.

Yes, 38 years, Golf. Math from my teenage years gets harder by the day. I often can miscalculate on song years as well.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:30 am
Even though I understand the movie is 28 years ago or so and the players are youngish enough for it to not to be in their sweet spot, it still pained my 1908s heart that no one knew the actor who played Spicoli. :roll:

The hilarious pop culture crime was the guesses for the show with "Nanu nanu".

Seems like there've been a few of these in recent days, where the contestants were too young to have first-hand knowledge of things that are slam dunks for some of us. Wonder what the "sweet spot" in age would be for a modern player? Old enough to have lived through a lot of stuff that comes up in clues, but not too old as to be at a disadvantage because of reflexes, etc.
Hugo Z
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Hugo Z »

Seriously, how many famous people have died from twenty-three stab wounds?
Golf

Post by Golf »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:47 pm Seems like there've been a few of these in recent days, where the contestants were too young to have first-hand knowledge of things that are slam dunks for some of us. Wonder what the "sweet spot" in age would be for a modern player? Old enough to have lived through a lot of stuff that comes up in clues, but not too old as to be at a disadvantage because of reflexes, etc.
I'd say at least 45 and have maintained an EW subscription for many years. I think the age/reflex aspect is more myth, the buzzer isn't about reflexes, it's about timing. And besides, there are plenty of twenty somethings who have crappy reflexes. As a fifty something, I'd put my reflexes(trivia or otherwise) up against absolutely anybody that can pass the Jeopardy test.

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm Seriously, how many famous people have died from twenty-three stab wounds?
How many know he was stabbed exactly 23 times? I certainly didn't.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Despite what John Denver might have told you, the Blue Ridge Mountains are not in West Virginia. Neither is the Shenandoah River. When he wrote that song, he didn't know West Virginia was a separate state. He thought when people said West Virginia they referred to Western Virginia, the way someone might refer to West Texas or South Georgia.

If that was Jennifer's story about getting a professorship job offer, I'd really hate to hear her lecture about the League of Nations or something like that.

Zach established a runaway early in Double Jeopardy and Jennifer did next to nothing to stop him. She didn't even get the question about archive.

I came up with Julius Caesar.
Last edited by floridagator on Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When I saw Golf had posted early in the day I was expecting a bad FJ wager and Jennifer did not let me down.

Another old coot here who got Mork, Penn, and St. Elmo from being alive in a certain era.

I didn’t know how many times he had been stabbed but he was the most famous stabbing victim that came to mind.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 pm Despite what John Denver might have told you, the Blue Ridge Mountains are not in West Virginia.
The USGS disagrees with you. See https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=138: ... ue%20Ridge
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

lstone19 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 pm
floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:43 pm Despite what John Denver might have told you, the Blue Ridge Mountains are not in West Virginia.
The USGS disagrees with you. See https://geonames.usgs.gov/apex/f?p=138: ... ue%20Ridge
That page says it only passes through the easternmost County in the Eastern Panhandle. Not where the Lost River is.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:12 pm
lstone19 wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:06 pm
That page says it only passes through the easternmost County in the Eastern Panhandle. Not where the Lost River is.
Your assertion was that "the Blue Ridge Mountains are not in West Virginia." They are.
GettysburgPhillyFan
Contributor

Post by GettysburgPhillyFan »

I go to West Virginia University for grad school. Giving Zach credit for Blue Ridge was...generous.

Looks like we’ll have a day with potentially interesting TOC implications to wrap the season!
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $42,000 (50R, 0W)
DD 3/3
FJ :mrgreen:

I made a patron saints flashcard deck a few months ago because I realized I knew exactly zero about them. It paid off big time in this episode! That said, Lima -> country for $2000 might be the most overvalued clue of the season so far...
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Golf wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:48 am So it appears that Jennifer threw away $1k in FJ in a blatantly obvious situation for absolutely no reason?
Correctamundo. Essentially zero chance that Zach will Clavin, so there is essentially no reason for Jennifer to wager anything, certainly not more than $5,399. Maybe for her trouble she will at least get on Iman's Christmas card list.

This game was just hard to watch, with all the stand-and-stare moments. know I had a couple of brain freezes and didn't scoop them all up until 3 seconds too late, but I still got 11 (11!) of them worth almost $10K, plus the stand-and-stare DD about St. Elmo. Honestly, folks, no one could tell us which TV shows gave us "Bazinga!.", "Nanu-Nanu," or "Book 'em, Danno"???
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

Hugo Z wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 1:51 pm Seriously, how many famous people have died from twenty-three stab wounds?
I knew Caesar was stabbed in the forum. Also the abdomen, shoulder, and thigh.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

John Boy wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 8:11 pm
Golf wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:48 am So it appears that Jennifer threw away $1k in FJ in a blatantly obvious situation for absolutely no reason?
Honestly, folks, no one could tell us which TV shows gave us "Bazinga!.", "Nanu-Nanu," or "Book 'em, Danno"???
TV is my worst subject by far. I am pathetically bad at it. And even I went 5/5 on that category.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Here is an article about the autopsy.

https://historycollection.co/julius-cae ... history/2/