Wednesday, June 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, June 10, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by talkingaway »

Put me down with the Lister crowd for FJ!...and even worse, I thought of Darwin first. The year was right for the end of Darwin's life, but my problem was "vegetable mould". Having literally thrown out some bread today because of mold, I was thinking small biological organisms, and perhaps their eradication for surgical purposes. Well, that got me to Lister. I wasn't clear on his years, but if I'd thought about it, I would have put his peak work at very late 19th / early 20th century, which actually isn't quite accurate...he retired in 1893, and died in 1912. So, the timing was only off by a decade or so.

And, apparently, "vegetable mould" is basically compost, which now makes total sense in context. If I'd known that, I would have concentrated more on the earthworms and just gone with "British 1800s biologist = Darwin".

The Property Brothers "open concept" clue reminded me of an interesting fact - apparently HGTV forces the whole "open concept" on a lot of homes so they can show the destruction to get male viewership. I personally don't like open concept - I don't want to see my kitchen from my living room.

Good on Zach for the lettuce clue. "Aphrodesiac" is one response that, when you give it, you really really want it to be the right one...or else you're gonna wind up on YouTube.

In the "knowing too much" category, Japanese beverage isn't always sake - go for the obvious one, tea. If only it were LITERARY TITLE POTENT POTABLES....
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

I followed Steve's (presumed) logic: mold --> penicllin --> Fleming. (And was impressed he included the first name.)
alamble

Post by alamble »

dhkendall wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:50 pm [quote="TAKING A "SELF-D" $600]I'm not touching that martini, even though I'd really enjoy it; I'm practicing a bit of this
"Self-denial" was accepted. How is "self-discipline"?
[/quote]

That was my response as well, and I strongly suspect it was on Alex’s card as the desired one.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

What country was a late 20th century pope from? “Late” is a subjective term, but only one in the 20th century wasn’t from Italy. That should be in the top row and definitely not a DD.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

NYCScribbler wrote: Did anyone else enjoy the synergy between the last two clues in "Three Names" and the two categories to its right?
That had me hoping for a clue about David Clayton-Thomas.
Too bad the players avoided "Three Names" like the plague, keeping us from seeing all five clues.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Category 13 wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:41 pm
NYCScribbler wrote: Did anyone else enjoy the synergy between the last two clues in "Three Names" and the two categories to its right?
That had me hoping for a clue about David Clayton-Thomas.
Too bad the players avoided "Three Names" like the plague, keeping us from seeing all five clues.
I was expecting another ELP clue, but we never got to find out. Millennials...
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Shucks...
I thought I had a stone-cold lead pipe lock on FJ with Alexander Fleming. Upon reveal that I was wrong, I figured the years must not have made sense, and sure enough, Fleming was born the year of the Clue's publication.
I won't be forgetting that fact now.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

nserven wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:14 pm I followed Steve's (presumed) logic: mold --> penicllin --> Fleming. (And was impressed he included the first name.)
Well, when another Alexander is literally staring at you...
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I can't keep from confusing JEB Stuart and JEB Stuart Magruder.

LOL, just LOL at someone being deported to Israel in 1919.

Steve was obviously just guessing at tea and Jack Daniels. Instead of answering like you're making a WAG, why don't you answer with confidence so that your opponents will assume that you actually knew the answer.

Would there have been a BMS if Zach had said just Congo?

Steve was just barely over 50% of Zach nearing the end of Double Jeopardy when Joanna suddenly came to life.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm Any reason I should know what season National Hangover Day is? That clue seemed wide open.
The clue said to think about it, implying that one probably wouldn't know this and could figure it out. The thought process consists of "Hangovers tend to occur the day after a night of heavy drinking; what holiday has a lot of booze?" I can think of two, and they're both in winter (though one just barely).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:57 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:03 pm Any reason I should know what season National Hangover Day is? That clue seemed wide open.
The clue said to think about it, implying that one probably wouldn't know this and could figure it out. The thought process consists of "Hangovers tend to occur the day after a night of heavy drinking; what holiday has a lot of booze?" I can think of two, and they're both in winter (though one just barely).
I was hoping they would be tricky and say “Flag Day”. While most would associate June 14 with the summer, it is actually late spring.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

My thought process was "Huh? Hangovers can occur any time of the year, I see no way to figure this one out at all."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Good win by the champ. FJ was a matter of name a 19th C British naturalist. If it was the TOC, I’d have to choose between Darwin and Thomas Huxley. In this game, only one choice.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:00 am
I was hoping they would be tricky and say “Flag Day”. While most would associate June 14 with the summer, it is actually late spring.
HQ once got a lot of people out by asking what season Julius Caesar got assassinated; everyone tends to think of March as spring, but only the last third of it (give or take) is.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

29 R/7 W

Coryat: $25,600
DDs: 1/3
FJ!: :mrgreen:
LT: Soviet Union
This is probably my first game where I got all six 2,000 clues.

Ran Name The Season, but was shut out in Home Improvement on TV (as I expected)

Precalled Emma Watson, self-destruct, and self-defense in the J! round.

FJ! was an instaget; it seems like many people on this board overthought this. I'm good at not overthinking things, which is probably a cause of my 65-70% get rate on FJ.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

davey wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 8:19 pm
dhkendall wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 5:50 pm [quote="TAKING A "SELF-D" $600]I'm not touching that martini, even though I'd really enjoy it; I'm practicing a bit of this
"Self-denial" was accepted. How is "self-discipline"?
I like that better! Self-deprivation also works.
[/quote]

I agree. "Self-discipline" is a much better response.
ParrotRob
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by ParrotRob »

Totally surprised they accepted "colors" without BMS'ing it.
--
Drowning in the pool
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 pm Totally surprised they accepted "colors" without BMS'ing it.
"showing one's colors" and "showing one's true colors" are both acceptable versions of the same idiom.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:38 pm Totally surprised they accepted "colors" without BMS'ing it.
"Show your colors" is more familiar to me than "show your true colors".
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

"Self-Detonate" for "Self-Destruct"?