Fourth Podium Poll for 6/11/2020

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which of these triple stumpers did you get?

$800 AMERICAN LITERATURE: 4 Chinese women meet regularly to play Mah-jongg & to talk about life & their children in this 1989 Amy Tan novel
87%
$400 "THAN" WORDS: "Beowulf" features several of these feudal warriors who serve their liege
44%
$800 "THAN" WORDS: In Greek mythology this 8-letter figure is the personification of death (Jennifer: What is Thanos?)
62%
$600 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: "Bazinga!"
91%
$800 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: "Nanu-nanu" (Jennifer: What is Star Trek?) (Iman: What is ALF?)
96%
$1000 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: "Book 'em, Danno"
88%
$800 ACTIONS: In knitting, it means to pull a loop of yarn through the front to the back of the fabric
62%
$800 PUN-FORGIVABLE: "A spot for handing out pink slips", or a hearth at the base of a chimney
54%
$1200 PUN-FORGIVABLE: "What you say to scare a lemon pie topping", or an Australian aboriginal weapon
79%
$2000 THE FRENCH REVOLUTION: From tomber, French for "to fall", it was the cart that took those condemned to death on their last ride
14%
$1600 PATRON SAINTS: Sharing his feast day with fellow archangels Gabriel & Michael, he's the patron saint of the blind
11%
$400 ANIMALS: The pronghorn, also called the American or pronghorned one of these, can cover about one mile per minute
53%
$2000 ANIMALS: This late gorilla once broke a sink & used sign language to blame someone else
78%
$2000 BREAKOUT MOVIE ROLES: Described as a cinematic chameleon, this British actress in the title role of "Orlando"
16%
$1200 BREAKOUT MOVIE ROLES: Him as stoned surfer Jeff Spicoli in "Fast Times at Ridgemont High"
78%
$2000 PUN-FORGIVABLE: "To break God's law until a prime time hour", or to sparkle brightly
28%

Total votes: 85

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Fourth Podium Poll for 6/11/2020

Post by opusthepenguin »

Haven't done one of these since February. But a game like this can bring a guy out of retirement. 16 triple stumpers! That's the poll limit, so I can't include any extras. In the comments you can note whether you got FJ--necessary for a fourth podium win. There's "only" $18,400 in trash and Zach went into FJ with $21,800. So you're going to need more than $10,900 of that trash to get past him. Seems quite doable and I'm betting there are a few boardies that Zach might have been sorry to face here.

Also note, if you like, whether you got the St. Erasmus DD and the one about the 15-letter appointed office in the House of Representatives.
CORRECT RESPONSES
SJ ROUND

$800 AMERICAN LITERATURE: The Joy Luck Club
$400 "THAN" WORDS: thanes
$800 "THAN" WORDS: Thanatos
$600 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: The Big Bang Theory
$800 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: Mork & Mindy
$1000 TV CATCHPHRASES BY SHOW: Hawaii Five-O (or Five-0)*
$800 ACTIONS: purl

DJ ROUND

$800 PUN-FORGIVABLE: a fire place
$1200 PUN-FORGIVABLE: Boo! meringue
$2000 THE FRENCH REVOLUTION: tumbrel (or tumbril)
$1600 PATRON SAINTS: St. Raphael
$400 ANIMALS: antelope
$2000 ANIMALS: Koko
$2000 BREAKOUT MOVIE ROLES: Tilda Swinton
$1200 BREAKOUT MOVIE ROLES: Sean Penn
$2000 PUN-FORGIVABLE: sin till late

---------------
* 1968 series used a capital O. Current series uses a numeral 0.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Fourth Podium Poll for 6/11/2020

Post by sarisson »

$12,000 + FJ.
May be my first win from the fourth. With so many TS's, it's amazing we saw almost all the clues.
Hoping for a third lap
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

At least $12,000 for me going into FJ plus a solve gets me the fourth podium win. I'm not sure if I'd have clammed on Raphael or gone with the obvious guess. If I'd gone with it, that's another $1600 which might add to my winnings.

I didn't get antelope, which I probably should have. I froze on thanes because it was Beowulf, which I should know, but somehow it wasn't coming to me. Remembered the category leading to the obvious response just as Alex was about to say it, so no soup for me. MIGHT have gotten "sin till late" but "a prime time hour" isn't late. Pretty much by definition. "Late" starts AFTER prime time. So I felt that clue steered everyone in the wrong direction.

On the DJ DDs, I got St. Elmo (unlike Zach) but not from Sesame Street. How would that help? I got it from knowing that St. Elmo's Fire is associated with sailors in some way. So Erasmus + "shorter name" + sailors got me there. Did NOT get parliamentarian (again unlike Zach, who did). Wasted my time counting the letters in ombudsman, coming up 6 short, and floundering.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I think I scored an even 12,000 from the fourth podium and I got final correct as well.

Oh, yeah, and I got St Erasmus and the House official, too.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

$8000 when accounting for the neg on pronghorn. I'm a city slicker and I can't properly distinguish longhorn, pronghorn and bighorn. No problem with DD2.

9/10 in the TV & Movie categories.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

All but tumbrel & Tilda Swinton :D
Of course I got FJ. :mrgreen:
Got St. Elmo, did not get parliamentarian. My guess was sergeant-at-arms :|
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Also got St. Elmo

$11,000 + FJ
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

No Tilda Swinton fans? I just blanked, but was picturing her the whole time...Only $10600 otherwise, tho...and no FJ.... :oops:
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Looks like I'm the first to get Tilda.
None of the TS puns (pretty wretched category y'ask me, and I like wordplay), nor Raphael nor tumbrel.
Yes to St. Elmo (his fire appears atop masts), no to parliamentarian--I also thought of sergeant-at-arms.
Yes to FJ.
In and out of the pool four times
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

J!: :mrgreen: :| :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :| $5000

DD1: :mrgreen: (and I got the previous 3 clues right - yeah, I know that's not how this works)

DJ!: :| :mrgreen: :| :| :| :mrgreen: :| :| :mrgreen: $5200

DD2: :mrgreen: (and previous 2 clues right)

DD3: :|

FJ!: :mrgreen:

So, I wind up with $10200. Zach still locks me out, but if I beat him on the buzzer on one modestly priced clue or get one of my two true daily doubles, I win.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

$10k (Missed tumbrel, fireplace, Raphael, and Swinton).

Instaget FJ
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Thanatos, Big Bang Theory, Mork & Mindy, Hawaii Five-O, purl, fireplace, Boo-meringue, antelope, koko

I got the Erasmus/Elmo DD.
Leander

Post by Leander »

$8800, I think. Missed thane, purl, the archangel, gorilla, tumbrel and two of the pun clues. Might have gotten thane if I paid closer attention to the category.

Got St. Elmo, did not get parliamentarian.

Got FJ.
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

Joy Luck, thanes, Thanatos, Big Bang, Mork & Mindy, Hawaii, fireplace, boomerang, Koko, Penn, scintillate (just before the buzzer), which by my calculation is $11,600, plus a get on Final for the win.
davey wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:00 pm No Tilda Swinton fans? I just blanked, but was picturing her the whole time...Only $10600 otherwise, tho...and no FJ.... :oops:
Chameleon actress made me think of Cate Blanchett. But wait, she's Australian. So not her, who... oh, out of time :)
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

A correct FJ response wouldn't be necessary if you had more than $14,800. If you're between that and $15,600, you could cover Jennifer doubling up from $7,800 and stay ahead of Zach covering you if you both miss.

I had a clam on tumbrel (the clue made me think tombeau, but I was pretty sure that was just French for "tomb"), a neg on pronghorn (sheep; similar confusion to Mark's above), and a get on everything else, though I can't remember if I committed to a buzz for Tilda Swinton. But I got FJ right, and if she was a clam for me, I have $13,600, wager big, and win big. Otherwise I have $15,600, and bet $0, unless I think Zach is aware I bet $0 the last time I was in a close second with third at exactly half my score, in which case I might think about going bigger. (Of course, eleven years ago co-champions were still a thing, so who knows if he'd think I'd bet the same now?)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

The fact that Tumbril had a low hit rate proves that most don't go back in the Archive to view the UTOC games.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=328
Douglas Squasoni
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:15 am The fact that Tumbril had a low hit rate proves that most don't go back in the Archive to view the UTOC games.

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=328
If Ken, Brad, and Jerome didn't know it either, I'm not going to beat myself up.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

Most of these clues aren’t exactly in my wheelhouse.

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen: :( :( :( :(

Did get DD2 correct, thanks to the song “St Elmo’s Fire”
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:59 pm MIGHT have gotten "sin till late" but "a prime time hour" isn't late. Pretty much by definition. "Late" starts AFTER prime time. So I felt that clue steered everyone in the wrong direction.
I haven’t seen the episode, but solved it here as “sin till eight”. Maybe that was the writers’ intended answer and “late” was an acceptable alternative?