Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, June 12, 2020 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AUTHORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On this woman’s passing in 2019, Oprah Winfrey called her "a magician with language, who understood the power of words"

Zach Newkirk: 10000+9995=19995 (4x = $85,669)
Kelly Lake: 13400-6601=6799
Matt Napolitano: 7400+6100=13500

Correct response:
Spoiler
Toni Morrison (Kelly – Angelou)

Daily Doubles
Zach: 3200-1600
Zach: 10400-4000
Zach: 8000-2000

Coryats
Zach: 17600
Kelly: 13400
Matt: 7400

Combined: 38,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Zach: 2400
Kelly: 9000
Matt: 1400
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Yes, this is the last new game. Zach's game five has not been recorded yet.

November 2019 ToC players will cover three weeks of reruns with one game from each person starting on Monday. First up is Gilbert Collins #3 and we'll have to see if the powers had Gilbert record any kind of bookends to the rerun for a small snippet of something previously unseen.

A CONTESTANT WALKS INTO A "BAR" $1200: A decompression chamber can also be called this kind of chamber

Matt was negged for a barometric chamber and Kelly rebounded hyperbaric chamber. Matt got credited for a correct response before the reveal of the FJ! clue and I was able to add $2400 to my score as well.

Zach was 1/4 on big clues while his one hit was enough to give him a fourth win. Zach has no problem trailing and then closing the gap as after being down 9000 to 2400 after the J! round he already led 10400 to 9000 when DD2 was found at clue 11.

The FJ! clue had me almost write the first letter of Kelly's incorrect name (yes, that will be a poll option as Kelly will find company for it) yet before I could cross it in the middle I switched gears to match the gentlemen. My reason for the quick change was recalling which one died last year in combination with being sure option B's death was not as recent.

For ToC tracking: (some people watch out of order and are not always caught up on older games
Spoiler
Zach still trails V3 with 89,001 and Sarah Jett Rayburn with 89,300 who also won 4 games.

Ahead of them are:
Ryan
Sam
Jason
Jennifer
Karen
MacKenzie
Paul
Nibir (C)
Ben (T)
to put Zach at 12th out of 15
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Done: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6699

Under 10 TS, only 5 W, and no Clue Crew clues. The four images clues were fairly straightforward. Thank you writers.

Kelly may catch some heat on social media as besides missing the woman of color in the FJ! round she attempted to pronounce (but could not get it right) an incorrect actor in the villain category to insult two actors in one swoop as the clue included a picture of the "Get Out" star. I've seen the Brit on talk shows and he said to say his name as, "Oh-Yellow-Oh".

The only thing missing from Kelly's unfortunate errors was for her name to have been Karen.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

It says a lot about Zach's skill as a player when he loses money on all three Daily Doubles and still wins the game. Pretty talented contestant indeed!

Shame this season was cut short due to you-know-what. But overall, it was pretty fun to watch, particularly James getting his revenge on Emma and Jason Zuffranieri's long streak at the beginning. Not as good as Season 35, but still was a good season to watch.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Apologies to the SJWs for putting down Angelou. And I had no clue who that guy was. Never heard of him or whoever the wrong response was.

This could have been the final game of the Alex Trebek era. I certainly hope it isn’t and the show can return soon and he continues to recover.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Never realized that the "spleen" in "vent ones spleen" actually referred to anything other than the organ. I just figured it was one of those weird sayings.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:59 pm Apologies to the SJWs for putting down Angelou. And I had no clue who that guy was. Never heard of him or whoever the wrong response was.

This could have been the final game of the Alex Trebek era. I certainly hope it isn’t and the show can return soon and he continues to recover.
If by "him" you're referring to Toni Morrison, you're using the wrong pronoun. Among other things, she wrote Beloved. --Bob
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bob78164 wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:01 pm
Bamaman wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:59 pm Apologies to the SJWs for putting down Angelou. And I had no clue who that guy was. Never heard of him or whoever the wrong response was.

If by "him" you're referring to Toni Morrison, you're using the wrong pronoun. Among other things, she wrote Beloved. --Bob
I was talking about the actor they showed a picture of. I am aware Toni Morrison was a female.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Coryat $33,400 (44R, 2W)
DD 1/3
FJ :mrgreen:

Had a shot at 15/15 DD this week and laid an egg today. Negged with Romeo for Juliet by not thinking hard enough.

Zach lucked out today with the miss by Kelly on a very gettable FJ. Congrats to him, a win is a win!
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I put down the wrong answer for FJ! knowing it was wrong because the death date seemed much longer ago. I figured with time having no meaning whatsoever anymore, that maybe it was early 2019 and I was just wonky. Nope. I'll admit that I didn't know the right answer had died, but had I known, I would have caught the connection. It's amazing how much of J! is knowing your timeline...

I thought Macbeth clue was a weird one. I buzzed in and got it right, but I wasn't 100% sure that they weren't named somehow. I figured out quickly enough that if they were named, there's no way they'd ask WHICH witch - just like they probably wouldn't ask for Goneril without giving you Regan and Cordelia.

Enunciate was a bottom row clue? Meh.

I precalled "Khaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan" right before the Star Trek clue came up, because on the previous clue about Palpatine, I processed "Star Wars" as "Star Trek". Sorry, fellow nerds. If I'd had 20 seconds, I could have pulled Palpatine....but, y'know, they could have at least said spoiler alert!
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

I chuckled a bit on Kelly's mispronunciation clue when Alex mispronounced the correct answer, too. (Daniel Kaluuya is pronounced kah-LOO-yah, not kah-LOO-you-ah.)
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:13 pm I thought Macbeth clue was a weird one. I buzzed in and got it right, but I wasn't 100% sure that they weren't named somehow. I figured out quickly enough that if they were named, there's no way they'd ask WHICH witch
They were named (First, Second, and Third witch). They all spoke those two lines simultaneously.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have seen one of those, but never knew it was called a "multiplication table".

Ran Words & Phrases.

Was 0/5 in Shakespeare, Madness of the King, and Playing the Villain.

Outside of Me for $400 felt like negbait for "stud", and $1,200 was even BIGGER negbait for "aviator".

Female author who died in 2019? Absolutely no one came to mind. The correct response is ringing absolutely zero bells for me.

Lach Trash: lungs. Also got the "mixed metaphor" and Commando DDs
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I couldn't remember which one of Toni Morrison or Alice Walker had died. I picked the wrong one.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:36 pm

Female author who died in 2019? Absolutely no one came to mind. The correct response is ringing absolutely zero bells for me.

Same here! I WAGed Sue Grafton even though I knew she died in 2017.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:36 pm I have seen one of those, but never knew it was called a "multiplication table".
When I was learning my multiplication tables, I literally had a multiplication table. I found it online - it's marked as "vintage".

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Child-Guidance ... SwzMVetZ7M

It was kind of big, but I loved sliding the warp and weft to find the answers. Now, pardon me, I have to go get my Geritol now.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

It was completely not necessary for AT to point out where the organs were on his body. Makes me glad ovaries wasn't a TS.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

Oh, Alex...I have a feeling Oprah has praised other women authors in the 6 years since Maya Angelou passed - maybe even other ladies who've died besides Toni Morrison... :roll: