Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alietr
Site Admin

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by alietr »

bomtr wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 12:28 am alietr, Thorsten is looking for BWA searchers on a beta basis. Now is your opportunity to impose, er, explore, your sense of humor with the community at large.
Those spots got snatched up quickly. All gone.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lucked into a 4(2)-3(2) win, but I had a bad RTFQ moment by guessing the Juan de Fuca Strait for the Mason-Dixon line. I also have always kind of had a bad habit of confusing east from west :oops:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 am I lucked into a 4(2)-3(2) win, but I had a bad RTFQ moment by guessing the Juan de Fuca Strait for the Mason-Dixon line. I also have always kind of had a bad habit of confusing east from west :oops:
That would be a very straight strait!
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 am I thought it was because he traveled several hundred miles to get to his in-laws with the stay-at-home order still in place, and that he had been one of the people responsible for the stay-at-home order in the first place. Which really pissed off a lot of the English. They seem to have a lot less tolerance for hypocrisy at the top of their government than we do.
Yep, knew exactly that's who it was, but because I only skimmed the article, the name never stuck... Nerts.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 10:53 am
StevenH wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:51 am I lucked into a 4(2)-3(2) win, but I had a bad RTFQ moment by guessing the Juan de Fuca Strait for the Mason-Dixon line. I also have always kind of had a bad habit of confusing east from west :oops:
That would be a very straight strait!
Leave it to Kirk to straighten him out.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:16 am
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:22 am I thought it was because he traveled several hundred miles to get to his in-laws with the stay-at-home order still in place, and that he had been one of the people responsible for the stay-at-home order in the first place. Which really pissed off a lot of the English. They seem to have a lot less tolerance for hypocrisy at the top of their government than we do.
Yep, knew exactly that's who it was, but because I only skimmed the article, the name never stuck... Nerts.
... and that's exactly why I assigned a '3', thinking that the event might stick, but not the name.

And an easy '0' to my opponent from Maryland (with a relatively high Geography score) on Mason-Dixon Line.
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Breathed a sigh of relief on seeing that "Crohn" was right. I was nervous about Colitis, since the question said the physician's name was the disease's name. Also, there was nothing in the clue to suggest that the namesake doctor was more worthy than the other two, so perhaps it was just coincidence that one of the three happened to have the same name that the disease was destined to be given. I knew though that Mt. Sinai was originally known (somewhat jarringly) as "The Jews' Hospital", and as Colitis doesn't sound like a Jewish name, I stuck to my immediate reaction.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Lefty wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:34 am Breathed a sigh of relief on seeing that "Crohn" was right. I was nervous about Colitis, since the question said the physician's name was the disease's name. Also, there was nothing in the clue to suggest that the namesake doctor was more worthy than the other two, so perhaps it was just coincidence that one of the three happened to have the same name that the disease was destined to be given. I knew though that Mt. Sinai was originally known (somewhat jarringly) as "The Jews' Hospital", and as Colitis doesn't sound like a Jewish name, I stuck to my immediate reaction.
Um ... who do you think the second doctor is?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Last yesterday 6(5)-9(5). My opponent missed the ska question despite pop music being his second best category! I missed Earthsea.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 11:36 am Last yesterday 6(5)-9(5). My opponent missed the ska question despite pop music being his second best category! I missed Earthsea.
Ska was my guess with no confidence...I also missed EarthSea, never heard of it. Won 6(5)-3(3), staying middle of the pack in my C rundle.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

alietr wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 6:48 am
Lefty wrote: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:34 am Breathed a sigh of relief on seeing that "Crohn" was right. I was nervous about Colitis, since the question said the physician's name was the disease's name. Also, there was nothing in the clue to suggest that the namesake doctor was more worthy than the other two, so perhaps it was just coincidence that one of the three happened to have the same name that the disease was destined to be given. I knew though that Mt. Sinai was originally known (somewhat jarringly) as "The Jews' Hospital", and as Colitis doesn't sound like a Jewish name, I stuck to my immediate reaction.
Um ... who do you think the second doctor is?
Dr. Colitis, Gentile MD
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Jun 12, 2020 4:01 pm Dr. Colitis, Gentile MD
When is a Jewish fetus considered to be viable?
When it graduates med school.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I am on pace to set a personal record for MCA in a season. On the other hand, I have set another personal record with eight straight losses. And I am in the same D rundle I have been in for several seasons.

I guess it doesn’t help I am playing my worst ever defense and also on pace for most correct answers allowed. (Which is the LL equivalent of free throw defense in basketball).
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:46 am on pace for most correct answers allowed.
I've always thought that a stupid name. I call them "correct answers against". If I had to allow them, then it would always be zero. :)
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Yeah, I’m getting slaughtered in A, as per usual. Got a win yesterday to move up to 27 from 28 out of 28.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I lucked into a 2(2)-1(2) win, and got myself out of the relegation zone at least temporarily.

I know exactly 3 types of edible mushrooms: shitake, portobello, and chanterelle. I would have thought for sure that "chanterelle" was a French word, but it was the only one of the three that could have possibly fit the clue.

It feels like I have lost out on an inordinate amount of 1 in 2 or 1 in 3 guesses this season, but I went the right way between Ireland and Argentina.

Despite having attended FSU and UGA for undergrad I am not at all a football fan, but that was a question that I should have been able to get through having heard so many people I know talk about football. I just never thought of Tennessee. I wavered between Vanderbilt and South Carolina, and went with the former.

I can't believe that the name Peabo Bryson did not ring a bell. I have definitely heard both of the songs before that were mentioned in the question.

And I feel Bamaman's pain on defense. I currently have the second worst defense in my rundle.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

It was pointed out that yesterday was one of the four toughest days in the history of LL, and it felt it. It is the rare and unsettling experience to read through the six questions and realize that I don’t know the answers to any. With some thought, I came up with reasonable guesses for the SEC team, the Catholic country and mushroom, and I pulled the distance unit from some distant recess of my memory. I thought that I had a good guess for the duet singer (Luther Vandross) but Peabo Bryson never even crossed my mind.
Last edited by Woof on Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

StevenH wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:22 am
Despite having attended FSU and UGA for undergrad I am not at all a football fan, but that was a question that I should have been able to get through having heard so many people I know talk about football. I just never thought of Tennessee. I wavered between Vanderbilt and South Carolina, and went with the former.
If there is ever another question about college football national champions, the answer will definitely not be Vanderbilt.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

PSA: This weekend is the Midseason Classic.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:33 am It was pointed out that yesterday was one of the four toughest days in the history of LL, and it felt it. It is the rare and unsettling experience to read through the six questions and realize that I don’t know the answers to any. With some thought, I came up with reasonable guesses for the SEC team, the Catholic country and mushroom, and I pulled the distance unit from some distant recess of my memory. I thought that I had a good guess for the duet singer (Luther Vandross) but Peabo Bryson never even crossed my mind.
Not a single person got more than 4 right in A Continental yesterday. I've never seen that before. Weird season; as much as everyone has been talking about it being easier than usual, no one in our rundle is having an especially outstanding season, and the rundle is flatter than I've ever seen. I got chanterelle only after I reread the question and saw it was Latin derivative, not Italian like I had gotten into my head. I didn't know barn (an area unit, not distance), but when I thought about big open space inside the atom, I listed big, open buildings; didn't think it would be hangar or warehouse, but barn sounded more likely. Lucky me. Might have though of Peabo Bryson given a week; my wife got the illustrator after I submitted, but I didn't get close.