Reruns to start May 4th

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Re: Reruns to start May 4th

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:47 pm Millionaire had applause from the staff, and was taped in NYC 2 or 3 days after J's audienceless episodes.
Los Angeles, actually. (I had applied for tickets to one of the taping sessions, but had decided not to go for social-distancing reasons even before they canceled the audiences.)
talkingaway
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by talkingaway »

trainman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:00 am
talkingaway wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:47 pm Millionaire had applause from the staff, and was taped in NYC 2 or 3 days after J's audienceless episodes.
Los Angeles, actually. (I had applied for tickets to one of the taping sessions, but had decided not to go for social-distancing reasons even before they canceled the audiences.)
Oops, I knew that in the back of my head. I still have Millionaire so closely associated with New York because of the Regis days. I choose to begrudgingly accept Meredith, and do not recognize any of the syndicated Millionaires after that.

And I also knew Kimmel is LA, not NYC, even if he's from New York. Last October, I almost got tickets to see him to a special slate of shows in Brooklyn, but I luckily got confirmed for Colbert, which was closer for me to get to on my trip. But I knew it was a special week of shows in New York.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:17 am
trainman wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:00 am
Oops, I knew that in the back of my head. I still have Millionaire so closely associated with New York because of the Regis days. I choose to begrudgingly accept Meredith, and do not recognize any of the syndicated Millionaires after that.
You skipped right over Stamford and Las Vegas.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 1:17 am And I also knew Kimmel is LA, not NYC, even if he's from New York.
I don't think of him as a "New York" guy at all -- he was born there, but he considers himself to be "from" Las Vegas (where his family moved when he was 9), and he gained his first real fame in radio at KROQ in Los Angeles.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

July 20's rerun does not have an episode date listed yet, but my app says that July 21's rerun is the second episode of season 1 (September 11, 1984), the first game in the Trebek era to end with no winner. The episode is listed as "The First Decade". This could mean that they are rerunning the first week of shows in the Trebek era. If so, then that means July 20 would be Trebek's first episode (September 10, 1984). Also, all of the episodes that week are on J! Archive.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 am July 20's rerun does not have an episode date listed yet, but my app says that July 21's rerun is the second episode of season 1 (September 11, 1984), the first game in the Trebek era to end with no winner. The episode is listed as "The First Decade". This could mean that they are rerunning the first week of shows in the Trebek era. If so, then that means July 20 would be Trebek's first episode (September 10, 1984). Also, all of the episodes that week are on J! Archive.
Those will be cool to watch. Maybe they will continue the next week and we can finally get S1E6 in the books.
gameshowfandanny

Bamaman wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:03 am
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 8:58 am July 20's rerun does not have an episode date listed yet, but my app says that July 21's rerun is the second episode of season 1 (September 11, 1984), the first game in the Trebek era to end with no winner. The episode is listed as "The First Decade". This could mean that they are rerunning the first week of shows in the Trebek era. If so, then that means July 20 would be Trebek's first episode (September 10, 1984). Also, all of the episodes that week are on J! Archive.
Those will be cool to watch. Maybe they will continue the next week and we can finally get S1E6 in the books.
I don't think they'll do that. My guess is that they'll show a week from the 1990s from July 27-31, then, a week from the 2000s from August 3-7 and then the Battle of the Decades tournament from August 10-September 11.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:22 am
I don't think they'll do that. My guess is that they'll show a week from the 1990s from July 27-31, then, a week from the 2000s from August 3-7 and then the Battle of the Decades tournament from August 10-September 11.
I don't think so on that last part. The week of July 20 would have been the last week of the regular season, which would have been followed by reruns of this season's tournaments. They probably won't rerun the ToC again mere weeks later, but I see no reason right now not to expect that four of the six weeks after 7/24 will see reruns of the College Championship and Teachers Tournament from this season.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It would be a pretty quick turnaround for those tournaments if they did rerun them.

My comment about rerunning Episode 6 was meant as a joke, though it would be nice to see. I don’t know if they would want to rerun the whole first week. The first show was rerun after S25. The second episode would be fun to see because of how it ended.
gameshowfandanny

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:17 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:22 am
I don't think so on that last part. The week of July 20 would have been the last week of the regular season, which would have been followed by reruns of this season's tournaments. They probably won't rerun the ToC again mere weeks later, but I see no reason right now not to expect that four of the six weeks after 7/24 will see reruns of the College Championship and Teachers Tournament from this season.
I just didn't think they would rerun the Teachers Tournament in August, since that's just two months after it originally aired. Last year, they showed all of the tournaments except Avi Gupta's Teen Tournament and I think that was because they didn't want to rerun it two months after it aired.
If you're right, then I would expect the next reruns to be something like this:
July 20-24: September 10-14, 1984 (They are confirmed to be showing September 11 on July 21)
July 27-31: Week from 1990s
August 3-7: Week from 2000s
August 10-21: Season 36 College Championship
August 24-September 4: Season 36 Teachers Tournament
I don't think I can predict the week of September 7-11.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:35 pm I just didn't think they would rerun the Teachers Tournament in August, since that's just two months after it originally aired. Last year, they showed all of the tournaments except Avi Gupta's Teen Tournament and I think that was because they didn't want to rerun it two months after it aired.
July 20-24: September 10-14, 1984 (They are confirmed to be showing September 11 on July 21)
Well, last season they had four different two-week events; they weren't going to rerun both Teen Tournaments, and it makes sense to prefer the less recent one. They're not spoiled by choice this time around.

Are there seven weeks between the intended end of season 36 and the planned start of season 37? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since that's what happened after season 25 ended on the same day of the year that this one was supposed to.
gameshowfandanny

seaborgium wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:59 pm
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:35 pm I just didn't think they would rerun the Teachers Tournament in August, since that's just two months after it originally aired. Last year, they showed all of the tournaments except Avi Gupta's Teen Tournament and I think that was because they didn't want to rerun it two months after it aired.
Well, last season they had four different two-week events; they weren't going to rerun both Teen Tournaments, and it makes sense to prefer the less recent one. They're not spoiled by choice this time around.

Are there seven weeks between the intended end of season 36 and the planned start of season 37? I suppose I shouldn't be surprised, since that's what happened after season 25 ended on the same day of the year that this one was supposed to.
Yes. There would have been seven weeks had the season not ended early. 2011 was the most recent year to have seven weeks of reruns. The episodes that week were as follows:
September 12-13: Teachers Tournament Finals (the rest of the tournament reran from August 31-September 9, and on August 29 and 30, they showed the Tuesday and Wednesday episodes of that season's Kids Week.
September 14-16: The IBM Challenge
Source: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15&start=40
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I would love to watch lots of weeks from season 1, as I was in my mom's belly until episode 70.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 pm I would love to watch lots of weeks from season 1, as I was in my mom's belly until episode 70.
I'm a little bit older, but I'm about 90% sure that J! taught me negative numbers in second grade, before my teacher was ready for me to learn about them. Mrs. Goganian. I think she's the only teacher I ever had who I really didn't like - and I do remember getting sick on the carpet once. Cant' say it was on purpose, but...heh.

I'd love to watch the older episodes too - particularly the ones I haven't dug up and watched on the Internet Archive. Dangit, I would have watched others had I known they'd be on the big TV! And I'm gonna lobby my idea once again: Pop-Up Jeopardy!, with updated answers and/or reminders of the date the episode was aired. Or with corrections - I know they had an entire category named OOPS fairly early in their run with prior clues that were incorrect, or not as precise as they should have been.

I have 0% interest in rewatching any of this season's tourneys, but at least it gives me a nice safe buffer to delete the upcoming recordings on my DVR - once they air the first QF game, they're not gonna stop for 2 weeks.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 7:36 pm I would love to watch lots of weeks from season 1, as I was in my mom's belly until episode 70.
Obstructed view, eh?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:30 pm
Obstructed view, eh?
It wasn’t a womb with a view
Total game show career losings = $171,522
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

triviawayne wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:54 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:30 pm
Obstructed view, eh?
It wasn’t a womb with a view
:roll: :lol:
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

It was equipped with a passage, but not to India.
gameshowfandanny

My app's listing for July 22 does not say which episode it is, but it does say that it's one of Chuck Forrest's episodes (likely his fourth game since that's when he set the winnings record and the listing begins with "Chuck Forrest Record"). This means that they aren't rerunning the entire premiere week.
kablamfan11

Post by kablamfan11 »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:56 am My app's listing for July 22 does not say which episode it is, but it does say that it's one of Chuck Forrest's episodes (likely his fourth game since that's when he set the winnings record and the listing begins with "Chuck Forrest Record"). This means that they aren't rerunning the entire premiere week.
Oh, how do you look at the listing? I would love to see the listing for the week of July 20-July 24