Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by morbeedo »

MD17: Sesame Street continues to plague, torment and mock me in everything trivial
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:03 am And if you thought Friday played hard ... someone must have pissed Thorsten off, because the average get rate Monday was a whopping 26%. I track some really good players, and there wasn't a single 9(6) among them.
My opponent was FrankJ yesterday and he gave me a nice drubbing 2(3)-6(5). Nice job, Jeff!
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Only escaped my first 0(0) by getting Davy for 3. Thank you J! clue repetition for being above the low get percentage on that one.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:47 am Only escaped my first 0(0) by getting Davy for 3. Thank you J! clue repetition for being above the low get percentage on that one.
This LL season is going like the year 2020: started out with so much promise and then just went to hell in a handcart!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:47 am Only escaped my first 0(0) by getting Davy for 3. Thank you J! clue repetition for being above the low get percentage on that one.
I got "point" to avoid mine.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:49 am

This LL season is going like the year 2020: started out with so much promise and then just went to hell in a handcart!
I've always found that expression interesting in that there are at least three common very similar variations: handcart, handbasket, handbag.

Undoubtedly, fate An A Rundle is a cruel mistress.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

It's been a streaky season for me -- 3-1, then 0-6-1, and then 5-0-1.

And I always heard it as 'handbasket'.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 6:03 am And if you thought Friday played hard ... someone must have pissed Thorsten off, because the average get rate Monday was a whopping 26%. I track some really good players, and there wasn't a single 9(6) among them.
Every person who has won an LL Championship scarf missed the Sesame Street question yesterday. Me, I got it, but I gave up a perfectly awful 8(4) for defence. There was no way I was going to win yesterday, but not completely boning my MPD would have been nice.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

My second straight day of 1 correct. Bleh.

I think I will just accept my 2nd relegation in as many seasons.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Man, what a brutal last 3 days. I'd managed to get 3 and 2 right on Friday and Monday, but it caught up with me yesterday. Only got Rock Star after I lost the flip on Westie/Weimeraner as W dog breeds I could think of and I've been playing too much geoguessr lately where Bhutan is the only Asian mountainous country that comes up and I never thought of Nepal. I'd never heard of Valorant or McPherson, and the feminist one rang a bell after I submitted. All that and bad defense led to a 1(1)-5(3) loss. Still safely remaining in C for the moment, 5 points clear of relegation.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

I'm not even looking at my results yesterday...I manually typed in the URL for today's game to bypass the homepage altogether...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am I'm not even looking at my results yesterday...I manually typed in the URL for today's game to bypass the homepage altogether...
It's not like you were the only who didn't get a lot right. You may be surprised. 2 correct was good enough for an A Rundle tie for me.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I dodged the bullet yesterday since my opponent forfeited. I'll take it.
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DHK got 2 right and I gave him a 0 & a 1 for his troubles. The two I did not get right were a 2 & a 3 as it's always fun to play defense against a board member/FB friend.

I lead my rundle in one meaningless stat as I'm the only person without a tie so far.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:53 am MD17: Sesame Street continues to plague, torment and mock me in everything trivial
Same here. I have an excuse: I was 18 years old when Sesame Street first aired, and we didn't have kids.
Last edited by Blue Lion on Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:24 am
Volante wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:21 am I'm not even looking at my results yesterday...I manually typed in the URL for today's game to bypass the homepage altogether...
It's not like you were the only who didn't get a lot right. You may be surprised. 2 correct was good enough for an A Rundle tie for me.
I need a mental reset. It's not just the past couple days, it's a painful mean regression the past couple weeks. Focus on the questions and leave positioning to fate.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:59 am
alietr wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:24 am
I need a mental reset. It's not just the past couple days, it's a painful mean regression the past couple weeks. Focus on the questions and leave positioning to fate.
And put a little extra thought into defense too.

Having lived in Los Angeles for 30+ years helped more than a bit. Expected ASM to play hard, but not 12% hard.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

RandyG wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:18 pm Having lived in Los Angeles for 30+ years helped more than a bit. Expected ASM to play hard, but not 12% hard.
I knew exactly who the question was referring to, but just couldn't pull her name. The MCWA for that one was Billy Graham which is quite funny.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

A very satisfying 5(3)-4(4) victory.

I used to work for a company that had 5 of the Whiz Kids. Of course, they weren't the ones who went to Ford, so I couldn't pull that one. I remembered that after I saw the answer. But yeah, I should have gotten that one.

I found myself alone in the elevator with the head of the company once, and to start a conversation, I mused about how the elevator figures out where to go. He then launched into a description of the algorithm that elevators use. I once had a project where I was supposed to learn how his IBM PC worked so I could teach it to him. Which meant I got to work in his office when he wasn't there. It had a sweeping view of the Potomac River and the National Mall (for those in the know, from Chain Bridge down past the airport). It was an absolutely gorgeous view, and I had a lot of trouble not watching the airplanes fly by and land at National Airport.

And guess who the company used to do work for? AARP. So I actually got that one after realizing it wasn't a 'regular' publisher.
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

I was so close on the Whiz Kids question: McNamara started up a second group of Whiz Kids at the RAND corp. when he became sec'ty of defense. Unfortunately, this was a decade later, and they didn't come en masse from the air force.

Hanging on precariously to a lofty position and my target question percentage... let's just end the season today, ok?