Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by ouachiouat »

Another middle of the pack finish, so I'll be back in C Prairie yet again. My referral also just told me he had so much fun he'll come back again, and he qualified for C as well, so that'll be great to play against him!

Congrats to Boson, as well as to all the others who qualified for the champ & otherwise got promoted. Condolences to those who got demoted, and may next season go better for us all!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

13-11-0 with a day to go. What do I do? I cough up my first tie this season and make it ugly with terrible defense: 5(4)-5(2). :twisted:
ilcap
Valued Contributor

Post by ilcap »

Fascinating to see how people worked out the Vancouver one. I'd imagined there'd be more people citing Granville simply because they remember the street or the island from an actual visit to the city, but way more people got there from Lionsgate Studios and Simon Fraser University than I'd have thought!
mrparadise

Post by mrparadise »

No chance on Vancouver, it cost me a six pack but not the match. Finished 8 14 3, good enough for 18th in A Horizon, which is way better than dead last in my first and only other stay there.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

ilcap wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 am Fascinating to see how people worked out the Vancouver one. I'd imagined there'd be more people citing Granville simply because they remember the street or the island from an actual visit to the city, but way more people got there from Lionsgate Studios and Simon Fraser University than I'd have thought!
Yeah, I never would have expected SFU was so well-known. Although I guess only 25% got it right, so I guess it's not that well known.

And, for the record, Vancouver is in an incredibly beautiful setting and is a great place to visit. Well worth a trip...when those of us in the U.S. can actually enter Canada again.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

My newest referral, who won his rookie rundle last season, was at #21 in his B rundle, below the relegation line, going into yesterday's match. He won and jumped up two spots to live to fight in B again. (He could have jumped up to #18 if his defense had been a single point better; he and the guy above him had 9-13-3 records and MPD at -7, with the tiebreaker being that the other guy had 108 TMP while my friend had 104.) He's doing great for someone outside of my J! circle!
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Anticlimactic last few days as I had clinched remaining in C after MD23 but ended my worst defensive season with a 5(3)-5(3) tie. My opponents worst categories were film and pop music. Gave him 3 on film and 1 on pop music which he of course got the film one and missed the Pop Music. Who doesn't know Milli Vanilli? Man...

I set so many records this year: Most TCA, TMP, CAA, TPA, and worst defense. All added up to a 9th place in C Magnolia 2 so I will be back there next season.
xabe
Valued Contributor

Post by xabe »

I was just glad to have staved off relegation this season and now I somehow stumbled into A by jumping from 9th to 4th yesterday! :shock:

Can someone design a flag featuring Icarus for me? I think I'm going to need it next season.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am
ilcap wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:15 am Fascinating to see how people worked out the Vancouver one. I'd imagined there'd be more people citing Granville simply because they remember the street or the island from an actual visit to the city, but way more people got there from Lionsgate Studios and Simon Fraser University than I'd have thought!
Yeah, I never would have expected SFU was so well-known. Although I guess only 25% got it right, so I guess it's not that well known.

And, for the record, Vancouver is in an incredibly beautiful setting and is a great place to visit. Well worth a trip...when those of us in the U.S. can actually enter Canada again.
To be clear, Simon Fraser University and the Fraser River which is named for Simon Fraser are no relation to the Alex Fraser Bridge. They are two people who coincidentally share a last name and are unrelated, so I'd love to know how many of the 25% got the right city essentially by accident or coincidence! Or maybe when they named the Alex Fraser Bridge that crosses over the Fraser River they did it intentionally, I"m not sure, but if that was Thorsten's intent, for people to get it right by tying the wrong Fraser to the city, it's an interesting choice!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:40 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:39 am

To be clear, Simon Fraser University and the Fraser River which is named for Simon Fraser are no relation to the Alex Fraser Bridge. They are two people who coincidentally share a last name and are unrelated, so I'd love to know how many of the 25% got the right city essentially by accident or coincidence! Or maybe when they named the Alex Fraser Bridge that crosses over the Fraser River they did it intentionally, I"m not sure, but if that was Thorsten's intent, for people to get it right by tying the wrong Fraser to the city, it's an interesting choice!
Interesting coincidence. I wonder if Thorsten even realized the two Frasers were unrelated? It's certainly possible he didn't really care and just wanted to throw out a few names that might connect the dots with Vancouver in peoples' minds.

Also congrats on the rundle win!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

For the third time in five seasons, I finished at the very bottom of the non-relegation zone in A Alpine (LL81, LL82, and now LL85).
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

jjwaymee wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:00 am
boson wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:03 am
alietr wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:57 am A hearty congratulations to Boson for his MagA victory, his first ever!
Thanks! I made my learned league flag into a car window mounted thing, and I'm driving across town honking my horn.

Congrats to the other jboardies who qualified for the championship!
It's just nuts that I hung on to finish third in Horizon A and qualify. It took a confluence of shattering my previous record for TCA, extremely solid defense, low CAA and even then Blue Lion was right there nipping at my heels with his torrid finish of seven wins in a row.

I'd love to make the cut after Round 2 but that's probably a bridge too far. I'll just enjoy the experience.
Congratulations on your top-three finish, and good luck in the championship! I'll be rooting for you.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

jjwaymee wrote: Fri Jun 26, 2020 8:00 am It's just nuts that I hung on to finish third in Horizon A and qualify. It took a confluence of shattering my previous record for TCA, extremely solid defense, low CAA and even then Blue Lion was right there nipping at my heels with his torrid finish of seven wins in a row.
I'd love to make the cut after Round 2 but that's probably a bridge too far. I'll just enjoy the experience.
Congrats on your first trip to the LLRC! Congrats also to BDM on yet another A Horizon crown. I was in first place for about seven days but once the tough days hit, the losses built up. My 6th place finish was the best I've ever done in A, and this was overall the best season I've had since my rookie season.
Now that quarterrican and I have hit the magic 500, MrKid has referred four members of the exclusive Ketteman club. Has anyone referred more?
Hoping for a third lap
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Where are the BWAs being posted?
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:41 am Where are the BWAs being posted?
https://learnedleague.com/thorsten/vote.php?vbwa&85
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 am
First time I can remember that I felt like there were more I would vote for than number of ones I could vote for. Some were actually funny.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

alietr wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:03 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:17 am
First time I can remember that I felt like there were more I would vote for than number of ones I could vote for. Some were actually funny.
Didn't the BWA duty get crowdsourced this time?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am Didn't the BWA duty get crowdsourced this time?
Yes. They still picked one of the lamest ones to win, though.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 am
Volante wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:00 am Didn't the BWA duty get crowdsourced this time?
They can't all be winners, but still a better ratio this time.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:59 am
econgator wrote: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:57 am
They can't all be winners, but still a better ratio this time.
I voted (well, would have; I was too late to do so) for the ones that came in 3rd and 4th, so they weren't all bad. My first choice was New York City Apartment for Barn.