FJs for the 3/30/20 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 3/30/20 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 25, 2020 7:52 pm

Jack Keil's team created this animal character rolled out in 1980, the year of the USA's highest recorded murder rate
84%
A county in England has an ocean coastline roughly twice as long as the 18 miles of this U.S. state named for it
76%
Canada's Four Corners monument marks the junction of the Northwest Territories, Nunavut & these 2 Prairie provinces
59%
Lady Duff Twysden was the basis for a character in this 1926 novel set partly in Spain
59%
In 1904 this Hungarian-born newspaper publisher wrote, "Our republic and its press will rise or fall together"
55%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
13%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
1%
BEHIND THE TV & RADIO CALL LETTERS $1600: KOIT--K-O-I-T--is in this California city, home to Coit Tower
57%
THE ACADEMY OF COUNTRY MUSIC AWARDS $800: In 2017, before we met her in the middle with Zedd & Grey on pop radio, she was named ACM New Female Vocalist of the Year
18%
QUESTIONS & ANSWERS $2000: An early quiz show, "Doctor I.Q.". gave these, perhaps the Morgan or Peace types, to audience members who answered correctly
21%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I had Alberta & Saskatchewan.
22%
For the Wednesday FJ! clue I had Alberta & Manitoba.
7%
LET'S SKIRT THE ISSUE: British designer Mary Quant named this '60s skirt after her favorite car - I already knew about the skirt's name connected to the Mini Cooper.
12%
LET'S SKIRT THE ISSUE: British designer Mary Quant named this '60s skirt after her favorite car - I knew nothing about the car connection, but got it right with a Pavlov off Quant.
33%
I picked the wrong Hemingway work for the Thursday FJ! clue.
24%
Hearst was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
22%

Total votes: 98

Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Re: FJs for the 3/30/20 week

Post by Carpe Diem »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :(

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :(

I said Hearst because I was completely blanking on newspaper publishers otherwise.
I thought the picture looked like San Francisco, but that was all I had to go on and so I clammed. I might have been able to get the Mary Quant -> miniskirt connection if it weren't for the car element of the clue distracting me. Maren Morris was completely new to me when Alex gave her name.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :( :(

McGruff was a WECIB. Mrs Penguin missed it because she has a memory (apparently false) of McGruff the Crime Dog from before 1980. Something about him appearing in a Berenstein Bears TV special in 1976. She distinctly remembers sitting there and watching with a jar of Jiffy peanut butter and a spoon.

State with very short coastline led to New Hampshire and the rest of the clue confirmed that that was a good guess. Considered Delaware and Pennsylvania for due diligence but was never tempted.

Considered the right response for Canada's 4 corners, but talked myself into going the other way. The map in my head wasn't quite right. At least I said Alberta and Saskatchewan, the best wrong answer available. The two losing contestants made that response and got counted just as wrong as the winner who guessed Newfoundland & Labrador. Sigh. That part was disappointing, but it was... appointing that he won by making a good wager from second.

Didn't recognize the name Lady Duff Twysden, but I knew Lady Brett Ashley in The Sun Also Rises was based on someone real. Everything else about the clue fit. I was confident enough that I didn't chase down the other possibilities. That laziness has bit me in the butt on more than one occasion, but no harm no foul this time. Had I chased them down, I'd have rejected A Farewell to Arms based on the location, For Whom the Bell Tolls based on the publication date, and The Old Man and the Sea based on come on, duh. As an aside, if you had to guess whether Lady Duff Twysden or Lady Brett Ashley was the fictional version, wouldn't you go with Lady Duff?

I was tempted to check the box saying Hearst was my incorrect guess for Friday's clue. He definitely was. But I went with my correct guess of Joseph Pulitzer.

Didn't know Mary Quant. Didn't know how the mini-skirt got its name. Always assumed it was solely a reference to the skirt's length. But... '60s skirt? I can only name one. Same name as a car? Yeah, that checks out.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 am She distinctly remembers sitting there and watching with a jar of Jiffy peanut butter and a spoon.
Not only does McGruff date no further back than 1980, but Jiffy peanut butter has never existed! (Apologies if you knowingly inserted that detail as a joke.)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 2:16 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:36 am She distinctly remembers sitting there and watching with a jar of Jiffy peanut butter and a spoon.
Not only does McGruff date no further back than 1980, but Jiffy peanut butter has never existed! (Apologies if you knowingly inserted that detail as a joke.)
You forgot to correct my spelling of the Berenstein Bears.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:41 pm
The way I remember it is that the Bears special never aired because it was preempted for special coverage of the death of Nelson Mandela...!... ;)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 3:52 pm
The way I remember it is that the Bears special never aired because it was preempted for special coverage of the death of Nelson Mandela...!... ;)
Excellent! But I thought Mandela didn't die until some time in the 1980s.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Oh man, I was looking for something else to affirm the joke nature of that paragraph and completely missed that! Please accept my apologies.