Learned League 85 - Official Thread

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Re: Learned League 85 - Official Thread

Post by Woof »

Congrats to ElendilPickle on her top 20 finish. Had I more confidence in my WAG of Honolulu and moneyed it, I coulda been a contendah.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 pm
The theme lyrics only say “this tropic port”, I would think there’s more than one in Hawaii.
Yes, but anyone who has seen the show a lot would know they left from Honolulu. I admit it's a fairly minor plot point in a 50+ year old show, but if you're of a certain age you very likely grew up watching Gilligan's Island (and Brady Bunch) reruns.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:06 am
triviawayne wrote: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:56 pm
The theme lyrics only say “this tropic port”, I would think there’s more than one in Hawaii.
Yes, but anyone who has seen the show a lot would know they left from Honolulu. I admit it's a fairly minor plot point in a 50+ year old show, but if you're of a certain age you very likely grew up watching Gilligan's Island (and Brady Bunch) reruns.
I've seen (probably) all the episodes and the movies several times over (I am of that certain age), and really don't remember them specifically saying Honolulu, but always saying Hawaii. Strange for me that I don't remember it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

morbeedo wrote: Wed Jul 08, 2020 8:35 am Self promotion zone:

LL One-Day Special: Doomed Voyages, smithed by CavaliereM
This was very fun and accessible, thanks! I did it while half-asleep and didn't trust my better answers, so moneyed badly. Got 9, 4 of my 5 left out were better moneys, is what I'm trying to say.

Enjoyed it anyway. Well written!
Pending...
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Giving the MCU ML a whirl. How do you remember Stan Lee's barber cameo...but not the -Tesseract-?!

It's a small comfort that my scoring actually did match up, more or less, with the overall correct % per clue at least.

More comforting was beering it. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 am Giving the MCU ML a whirl. How do you remember Stan Lee's barber cameo...but not the -Tesseract-?!

It's a small comfort that my scoring actually did match up, more or less, with the overall correct % per clue at least.

I thought about entering this one, but after playing along with Day 1 from the sidelines, I'm glad I didn't. Wouldn't have gotten a single one right.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:21 am
Volante wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 10:24 am Giving the MCU ML a whirl. How do you remember Stan Lee's barber cameo...but not the -Tesseract-?!

I thought about entering this one, but after playing along with Day 1 from the sidelines, I'm glad I didn't. Wouldn't have gotten a single one right.
Yeah, signing up for the MCU ML was a bad idea, since I've only seen 1 of the movies. (Disney+ won't run on my tablet computer, darnit.) The questions are at least kind of fun to read. The experts are gonna love it though.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Hard to tell from one day, but I also am relieved I didn't sign up. I've seen every movie (I think), but did not recognize any of the answers except of course tesseract (from the math hint). I recognized the star-lord answer, but was hung up on Peter as Peter Parker. The ML does seem to be aimed at fanatics, which should be fun for them. I enjoy the franchise on the most superficial level possible as a popcorn movie.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:04 pm I recognized the star-lord answer, but was hung up on Peter as Peter Parker.
I did the same thing.

I've seen all the movies except for the most recent three (Captain Marvel, Endgame, and Far From Home).
Woof

Post by Woof »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 11:04 pm

Hard to tell from one day, but I also am relieved I didn't sign up. I've seen every movie (I think), but did not recognize any of the answers except of course tesseract (from the math hint). I recognized the star-lord answer, but was hung up on Peter as Peter Parker. The ML does seem to be aimed at fanatics, which should be fun for them. I enjoy the franchise on the most superficial level possible as a popcorn movie.
I had just the opposite impression. I expected it to focus on minutiae that only a fanatic would recall, but I got 5/6 from just watching most of the movies (admittedly, Captain Marvel was a lucky pull but it made sense once I saw it). The Stan Lee cameo question was more in line with what I was expecting.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Woof wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:14 am I had just the opposite impression. I expected it to focus on minutiae that only a fanatic would recall, but I got 5/6 from just watching most of the movies (admittedly, Captain Marvel was a lucky pull but it made sense once I saw it). The Stan Lee cameo question was more in line with what I was expecting.
Day 2 saw your post and said 'Hold my beer.' Even "We have a hulk." barely broke 50% which...damn.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Woof

Post by Woof »

Volante wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:36 am
Woof wrote: Sun Jul 12, 2020 9:14 am I had just the opposite impression. I expected it to focus on minutiae that only a fanatic would recall, but I got 5/6 from just watching most of the movies (admittedly, Captain Marvel was a lucky pull but it made sense once I saw it). The Stan Lee cameo question was more in line with what I was expecting.
Day 2 saw your post and said 'Hold my beer.' Even "We have a hulk." barely broke 50% which...damn.
Yeah, I thought about that as I read through the Day 2 questions with almost no recognition. I pondered over the nickname one for a good 5 min (what do Blue Meanies and Point Break have in common? nfc)
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Quick question: is any Llama able to play LlGKBC or is it for registered players only?
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 6:48 pm Quick question: is any Llama able to play LlGKBC or is it for registered players only?
A member of LL can play a minileague even if they are not registered.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Thanks! I’m actually in 3rd place in my rindless but I hardly ever do these between sessions. I seem to have lots of free time now...
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Just looked at my ML Olympic Games group 71...quite the murderers row with 6 or 7 people over .725 sports scores... Yikes, going to be tough to advance
ouachiouat

Post by ouachiouat »

classicroadster wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:50 pm Just looked at my ML Olympic Games group 71...quite the murderers row with 6 or 7 people over .725 sports scores... Yikes, going to be tough to advance
I'm in group 86 with a certain BarcombF. If you're around here, good luck in a few days!

My Book Club group was brutal. I had 5 A and 3 B rundlers (1 of whom will be in A next season), plus the group winner was a rookie who ran away with his division last season. It was really fun nonetheless!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I play very few of the One-Days, but enjoyed this one: https://www.learnedleague.com/oneday.ph ... enofthe80s
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I should have skipped the MCU ML, and played the Olympics one, instead of vice-versa.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

Olympic group 71 is tough. Through 3 days, 4 players with 15 or more TCA and a poor guy who is 0-3 with 14 TCA and 17 CAA. I'm in first with 15 but should really be 17 as I sped through questions on day 2 and only put fosbury and 1918 instead of 1916 without thinking. First place for now.

Also had my best ever 1DS in perfect games finishing 6th. If I had moneyed the dart question instead of the QB rating I would've won. I feel like those who nailed the QB rating should get extra!