Reruns to start May 4th

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Reruns to start May 4th

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I was wrong. They aren't showing the entire first celebrity week. July 28's rerun is the February 5, 2001 episode, which is also Celebrity Jeopardy!, so this could mean every rerun during the week of July 27 is from a celebrity week.
gameshowfandanny

July 29's rerun is the Tuesday episode of that celebrity week: February 6, 2001, taped at the Las Vegas Hilton.
gameshowfandanny

July 30's rerun is the Wednesday episode of that celebrity week: February 7, 2001 (second Las Vegas Hilton episode).
gameshowfandanny

July 31 is one of the games of the Season 26 Celebrity Invitational finals (likely the second game).
gameshowfandanny

August 3-14 is the Million Dollar Masters tournament. My predictions for the next four weeks are:
August 17-28: Season 36 College Championship
August 31-September 11: Season 36 Teachers Tournament
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:56 am August 3-14 is the Million Dollar Masters tournament. My predictions for the next four weeks are:
I saw a PDF (with no sourcing) saying the last four weeks of reruns would comprise the last College Championship and Season 36's final two weeks of regular games.
gameshowfandanny

So, that means August 31-September 11 are the two weeks with no audience (May 18-22, 2020 and June 8-12, 2020, respectively).
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 am
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 7:56 am August 3-14 is the Million Dollar Masters tournament. My predictions for the next four weeks are:
I saw a PDF (with no sourcing) saying the last four weeks of reruns would comprise the last College Championship and Season 36's final two weeks of regular games.
So, do you actually know for sure that everything will be safe enough when taping for next season will resume at some time from now up until Sep. 11?
gameshowfandanny

jeopardyfan87 wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 2:35 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sat Jul 11, 2020 9:39 am
So, do you actually know for sure that everything will be safe enough when taping for next season will resume at some time from now up until Sep. 11?
That's unknown, but I think Season 37 will premiere in time, but with no audience. The reason why I think that is because Card Sharks started taping Season 2 (they don't have an audience according to Deadline).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

When do they normally start recording for a new season. Seaborgium, do you recall what day you taped your sixth game?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:40 am https://youtu.be/s-gv8YFp4oo
he looks and sounds amazing! HUGE improvement! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D
Total game show career losings = $171,522
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This should have the full list for the upcoming shows:

images/Jeopardy_Summer2020Reruns-1.pdf
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 9:46 am When do they normally start recording for a new season. Seaborgium, do you recall what day you taped your sixth game?
July 28
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:16 am This should have the full list for the upcoming shows:

If you asked Jeopardy fans to vote on the 20 most compelling episodes of all time, I doubt five celebrity games would make the list.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 am
alietr wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:16 am This should have the full list for the upcoming shows:

If you asked Jeopardy fans to vote on the 20 most compelling episodes of all time, I doubt five celebrity games would make the list.
Maybe not, but they chose a good set to rerun. I'm looking forward to this. It'll be a fun four weeks starting Monday. I'm hoping/assuming we'll have game day threads for all these. There's so much to discuss it will be like new episodes coming our way.

I'm less enthused about rerunning the college tournament so soon. Mrs P and I are still catching up on our backlog, which puts us in the middle of week 2 of that tournament. It's fun but nothing spectacular so far. Does their contract with Lending Tree require a rerun? There are so many better ways to use that time. Heck, I'd rather see the first Power Players Week from 1997. Wolf Blitzer would probably agree. Or rerun the best Kids Week ever, the one where Skyler Hornback revealed his future full of Gamblers Anonymous meetings. Oh wait, they won't do that because... sigh. I feel bad for that kid (Skyler, I mean) every time I think about that game. It should have been his crowning moment of awesome and reported on far and wide. Instead, some kid who had no shot at winning but whose parents didn't want to teach him to man up stole the spotlight and the news cycle and then it was over. Sigh.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 10:26 am

The problem is the reruns aren't for superfans - they're for channel surfers. People who don't have the remote handy after the national news airs, or who tune in before primetime starts. If they see Anderson Cooper or Jane Curtain playing, they might think, "Oh, that's cool!" If they see, say, Arthur Chu, they'd say, "Who the hell is that?"

The non-addicts are going to be interested in celebs, tournaments, and the GOAT trio. Tournaments are good for viewer continuity, because people might get sucked in to watching the whole two weeks.

Yeah, most of those shows aren't exactly the ones I'd pick - particularly the immediate rerun of the 2019 TOC, the celeb episodes, and the rapid fire rerun of the college tourney and the final two weeks of S36. But I can't fault them for trying to get snazzy.

My guess is that they might bump those last two weeks of reruns if they can't settle on a season premiere of 9/13.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

I wonder why they chose three Celebrity episodes from 2001 and not just one so they could have two from other years? Would have been nice to mix it up a little more.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

kingskip wrote: Thu Jul 16, 2020 3:34 pm I wonder why they chose three Celebrity episodes from 2001 and not just one so they could have two from other years? Would have been nice to mix it up a little more.
More research than I can do easily, but those are some damn fine lineups on name alone and I think you'd be hard pressed to find comparable. Added benefit, they're not your typical political/newscaster wonks either: it's raw star power.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

To quote an old post by Stefan (seaborgium) a couple years back, for the section on the Jeopardy website that has the contestants up for the week, it’s neat to get the confirmation of the contestants’ last names in S1 & S2 of what you didn’t see on tv and what would have to get changed on the archive. Paul in episode 2 is Schaeffer.