Monday, September 10, 1984 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, September 10, 1984 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Leander »

I was struck by the gasps from the audience at wrong answers.

Were the game segments shorter? Alex seemed to read the questions at a pretty snappy pace, but there were still a lot of clues left on the board.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

"Martin Luther King" on its own definitely would not fly today.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

floridagator wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:01 pm All three contestants took shortcuts in their FJ answers that would be very risky to do today. Two of the candidates wrote bday and the champion left out day or birthday altogether. Can you say you're a hundred percent certain that all three of those responses would fly today?
Caveat sourceum, but here's the first words of the Wiki article:

Martin Luther King Jr. Day (officially Birthday of Martin Luther King, Jr., and sometimes referred to as MLK Day). So, technically, "Martin Luther King's Birthday" isn't the official answer, either, and I've never heard nor seen the official name written anywhere else.

I'd say yea oh "MLK Day" or "Martin Luther King Day", but perhaps nay on "Martin Luther King" alone without the day, since "day" isn't implied in the clue. I think they generally accept JFK and LBJ, so MLK isn't too far behind.

The light pens were not exactly in wide use in 1984, from what I remember as a 7 year-old, and room on the pad was probably limited, so the abbreviations were logical. What you saw was probably the contestant's second or third time ever writing anything electronically - the first time(s) being in their practice rounds, assuming they had those back in '84.
Last edited by talkingaway on Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Leander wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 8:04 pm I was struck by the gasps from the audience at wrong answers.

Were the game segments shorter? Alex seemed to read the questions at a pretty snappy pace, but there were still a lot of clues left on the board.
Alex took time to explain the rules at the start, which took up time. Then the unnecessary clapping ate up more time as did the players ringing in and not knowing the question.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Frank’s LinkedIn profile, which mentions his Jeopardy appearance.

https://www.linkedin.com/in/selevanstravels

An interview with Lois from 2009.

https://www.retromediavision.com/post/a ... -feinstein

I found Greg on Facebook so he is still alive. One of his FB friends has two mutual friends with me. He now lives in Huntsville, Alabama.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

This re-air had the Audio Daily Double "Volga Boatmen" clip replaced with a royalty-free version, as also heard on the Jeopardy! DVD.

I wonder after the re-air tonight how many correction suggestions we are going to get from people trying to correct the spelling of "fit" in the "Joshua Fit the Battle of Jericho" clue. This has to be one of the most frequently incorrectly "corrected" clues in the Archive. (The first to so sin was imperpay!)
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

It gave me a weird case of the goosebumps when Alex said "we have no returning champion today" and again when the first clue was read out of the half million that have come since...
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:45 pm The bendiness of the neon (I presume) lights behind the podium are triggering my OCD, particularly to the right of the second contestant.
I got a kick at the glitter scattered around the category names. Somebody dropped by the craft store on the way to work that morning... :D

Folks are always saying pop culture is a late addition to the show...Michael Jackson?...50s television?...Seems pretty fizzy to me...And I have to admit that, though I personally missed most of the decade, 50s TV was still a cozy category for me... :)
I don't usually play the resemblance game, but I had a moment of distress wondering if Greg grew up to be Tucker Carlson... :roll: Though Alex telling him to relax has to be one of my very favorite moments in the show's history!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

They should bring back the awkward walk out. Why'd they get rid of that?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
NoWhammies10
Relaxing In The Hot Tub

Post by NoWhammies10 »

MattKnowles wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:08 pm They should bring back the awkward walk out. Why'd they get rid of that?
ISTR they had planned to get rid of it right around the time that Eddie Timanus was first a contestant in 1999. Certainly his appearance on the show accelerated that timeline.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Monday, September 10 1984 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 am Opus was hopeful there would be a discussion thread for these old games coming up, so here it is.
Many thanks! Like Leander, I was struck by the gasping and by the crowd noise in general. I wonder if they were coached to be extra enthusiastic and make a big deal out of everything. Alex introduced categories and read clues at 1 1/2 times his current pace, or at least it seemed that way. And two of the three contestant interviews were pretty zippy as well. Yet between the applause and the up front explanation and the multiple misses, we didn't even come close to clearing the board. Still, Alex and the crew hit the ground running and did a fine job overall. No major embarrassments.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 pm Like Leander, I was struck by the gasping and by the crowd noise in general. I wonder if they were coached to be extra enthusiastic and make a big deal out of everything.
Some of those reactions (pretty much everything that wasn't applause) sounded piped in to me. There's a woman's nervous titter at incorrect responses that I heard tonight, and also many times in Elise Beraru's games when they were on Dailymotion.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Anyone notice Inventions for $300 doesn't really have a "this" that it's asking for?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 am Opus was hopeful there would be a discussion thread for these old games coming up, so here it is.
Many thanks! Like Leander, I was struck by the gasping and by the crowd noise in general. I wonder if they were coached to be extra enthusiastic and make a big deal out of everything. Alex introduced categories and read clues at 1 1/2 times his current pace, or at least it seemed that way. And two of the three contestant interviews were pretty zippy as well. Yet between the applause and the up front explanation and the multiple misses, we didn't even come close to clearing the board. Still, Alex and the crew hit the ground running and did a fine job overall. No major embarrassments.
It sounded fast to me as well. I wonder if they sped up non-gameplay parts in order to get the whole show in.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

First time that I watched J! since the teacher’s tournament.

This was an excellent show right off the bat.

Also, some extra tingys:
The original end logos shown first airing was plastered w/ the usual CBS/Sony logos.
It's the end of the journey that counts.
jeopardyfan87
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeopardyfan87 »

They also left out Alex mentioning Greg’s small FJ wager that said how Greg played it very conservatively that the $300 was all he needed to wager seeing he had a lock going in to the FJ round.
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

What a hoot! Who else thinks Alex was looking an awfully lot like Tom Berringer in The Big Chill? Reminded me of when Jeopardy had their in person try outs back in the early days, Alex shows up in his leather jacket and jeans! Looking good!

I wonder if they sped up Alex's delivery and then cut things from the original show such as the gift portion to fit current allotted time with commercials? Has anyone come across video from the early shows because Alex sounds like a chipmunk on speed. Not in my area of expertise, and if they did speed up Alex's voice it would be difficult to calculate, has anyone calculated how much time the players were given to clear the board compared to now? I don't remember when, but a number of years back it seems they cut some time from the show. It seemed all of a sudden players were not clearing the board. Now they seem to have adjusted.

Even in the first show Alex is Alex in his responses to players.

I agree about the audience response, much of it was definitely canned.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Charming wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 8:37 am I agree about the audience response, much of it was definitely canned.
I think there was even one point where the transition between the canned applause and the studio applause was audible and obvious.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

davey wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 pm And I have to admit that, though I personally missed most of the decade, 50s TV was still a cozy category for me... :)
.... and it was an interesting thought to realize that the Jeopardy premiere was closer in time to most of 1950s TV, than we are now to the episode. Hope that doesn't make others feel as old as it makes me feel.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:51 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 pm And I have to admit that, though I personally missed most of the decade, 50s TV was still a cozy category for me... :)
.... and it was an interesting thought to realize that the Jeopardy premiere was closer in time to most of 1950s TV, than we are now to the episode. Hope that doesn't make others feel as old as it makes me feel.
If you go back 36 years from when this episode aired it is 1948.