Monday, September 10, 1984 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Monday, September 10, 1984 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by AFRET CMS »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:59 pm
AFRET CMS wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 1:51 pm
davey wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 pm And I have to admit that, though I personally missed most of the decade, 50s TV was still a cozy category for me... :)
.... and it was an interesting thought to realize that the Jeopardy premiere was closer in time to most of 1950s TV, than we are now to the episode. Hope that doesn't make others feel as old as it makes me feel.
If you go back 36 years from when this episode aired it is 1948.
Yep, one of those mental hiccups... reading 1984 and then doing the math based on 1988. Thanks for the correction. And for making me feel even older. Sigh.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

davey wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 10:23 pm And I have to admit that, though I personally missed most of the decade, 50s TV was still a cozy category for me... :)
.... and it was an interesting thought to realize that the Jeopardy premiere was closer in time to most of 1950s TV, than we are now to the episode. Hope that doesn't make others feel as old as it makes me feel.
So many depressing comparisons like this. If we wanted to travel back in time to see the premiere of Back to the Future, we'd have to go five years further back than Marty McFly went to get to 1955. On September 12 we'll cross the Apollo 13 threshhold where the opening of that movie is farther back in time to us than the actual Apollo 13 splashdown was to the opening of that movie. I think we need to just lean into it and start clamoring for movies like Apollo 13 II: The Movie of the Movie and Back to Back to the Future, movies that take us back to the simpler more wholesome times when such movies were made.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

The sixteen years between the original Star Wars trilogy and the prequels felt like a lifetime, but the decade between the prequel trilogy and the sequel trilogy felt negligible, probably because the former encompassed childhood but the latter was spent as a jaded adult.

Yes, I measure life in Star Wars (and Jeopardy!)
NYCScribbler
Harbinger of the Outchange

Post by NYCScribbler »

I like modern!Alex's beard. Am I the only one?
"Who said anything about a horse?!"

"Also, how the bleep did I forget Russia even exists?!"- TPH
Charming
Valued Contributor

Post by Charming »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm
So many depressing comparisons like this. If we wanted to travel back in time to see the premiere of Back to the Future, we'd have to go five years further back than Marty McFly went to get to 1955. On September 12 we'll cross the Apollo 13 threshhold where the opening of that movie is farther back in time to us than the actual Apollo 13 splashdown was to the opening of that movie. I think we need to just lean into it and start clamoring for movies like Apollo 13 II: The Movie of the Movie and Back to Back to the Future, movies that take us back to the simpler more wholesome times when such movies were made.
Now you're just making my head spin!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

One thing I've noticed is how much more dramatic Johnny Gilbert's "This... is... Jeopardy!" has gotten over time. Even in the 1990s it was still pretty subdued.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm ... Back to Back to the Future ...
I would definitely go see that. I'm imagining a time machine configured like Luke's snow speeder. Probably piloted by Bill and Ted.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 2:04 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm ... Back to Back to the Future ...
I would definitely go see that. I'm imagining a time machine configured like Luke's snow speeder. Probably piloted by Bill and Ted.
There is a new Bill &Ted movie, btw...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hAL7emClFM
da Doctah
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by da Doctah »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:49 pm
July 10, 2006: utterly-overlooked date on which the previous record was broken for the longest time with no new states admitted to the US.