New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 1/2/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6765

Relying on the intel from this post: viewtopic.php?p=258727#p258727
I have dated the game accordingly.

Player pics of Eric Schon, Julia Simmons & John McKeon:
Spoiler
Taking into account aging, this has to be John, right?
https://www.amazon.com/John-McKeon/e/B0 ... scns_share

John was in danger multiple ways of losing, yet found a way to win. Alex had the jinx on early as he said that John said at the end of the previous game that John planned to be a around a while and become a five-time undefeated champ.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

It always amuses me the random stuff people post on video sites. I think there is someone out there that owns a copy of every episode and is leaking them out slowly just to mess with us.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm I added 1/2/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6765
Meta-question: Is there a Windows program or an app that automates the process of playing through one of these games? You know, it starts with clue 1, I make a guess, I click, it reveals the correct response, I click again and it reveals clue 2, etc.? Right now I'm just going through them by eye, searching for the next clue which isn't always the next one down, making a guess, and hovering my mouse over it to get the response.

Is John Milton Hay just a name I'm supposed to know? Or did the contestant presumably make an educated guess on SJ4 CIVIL WAR $400? "Later U.S. Sec. of State, John Milton Hay served as asst. private secretary to this man during the war".
Spoiler
John correctly went with Lincoln who of course was on my short list of candidates. Another obvious possibility would be General Grant. What could be more natural than newly elected President Grant remembering that fella who was so efficient during the war years and deciding he was due for a promotion?
Predictable TS on SJ20 CROSSWORD CLUES "Y" $500: Park Place (8).
Spoiler
Yosemite makes sense on reveal, but the clue is four freakin' words long (assuming Alex said "eight letters"). In that amount of time, who's going to figure out where they're going with that reference, eliminate Yellowstone as obviously too long, and settle on Yosemite?
Surprised by the low value and incident-free get on SJ27 THE CUTTING BOARD $200: A special knife or vegetable peeler is used to do this, removing the outer skin of a potato
Spoiler
Was "pare" in more common use back then? I know I've heard the term "paring knife" before, but "pare" feels kind of archaic. The word definitely doesn't leap to mind. What leaps to mind for this clue is "peel" which is presumably excluded since a form of the word is contained in the clue?
DJ1 TECHNOLOGY $200: In the U.S. most of these devices have 525 lines per image; soon they may have over 1,000
Spoiler
TV sets. Is this referring to analog sets or the switch from analog to HD? Are these vertical or horizontal lines? Analog goes by horizontal, right? In that case, my TV has 1080 lines, but I feel the image is better than twice as good plus a tad compared to the TV I had in 1995.
I guessed correctly on DJ14 TECHNOLOGY $1000: It's the term for the place in virtual reality where the virtual objects appear
Spoiler
Cyberspace. Was this correct at the time? The meaning has definitely broadened since then.
I was prepared to make a snotty comment on Eric's neg for DJ16 ARTISTS $600: Many people hated the sculptor Pietro Torrigiano for breaking this fellow Florentine artist's nose
Spoiler
Julia was correct with Michelangelo after Eric negged with "da Vinci". I was going to comment on that not being Leonardo's last name but the place he was from, meaning he wasn't "Florentine". But looking it up I see that Vinci is a community within the Metropolitan City of Florence. Huh. Still, though, not the guy's last name. Would you respond "Who is of Aragon" if asked for Henry VIII's first wife?
Surprised at the TS in FJ. I got there pretty quickly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Civil War for $100
Spoiler
The answer was basically “He was Confederate Commander-in-Chief and had a Yankee Navy cousin named Lee”. I guess the name Lee was a hint pointing you towards Robert E. Lee. But we refer to Trump (or whoever is president) as Commander-in-Chief. So I found it a little confusing.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:46 pm Civil War for $100
Spoiler
The answer was basically “He was Confederate Commander-in-Chief and had a Yankee Navy cousin named Lee”. I guess the name Lee was a hint pointing you towards Robert E. Lee. But we refer to Trump (or whoever is president) as Commander-in-Chief. So I found it a little confusing.
His actual title was General in Chief of the Armies of the Confederate States. Jeff Davis was the Commander-in-Chief, but I guess if you do it like Mark did with lower-case letters, I guess you can get away with it.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 12:00 pm I added 1/2/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6765
Meta-question: Is there a Windows program or an app that automates the process of playing through one of these games? You know, it starts with clue 1, I make a guess, I click, it reveals the correct response, I click again and it reveals clue 2, etc.? Right now I'm just going through them by eye, searching for the next clue which isn't always the next one down, making a guess, and hovering my mouse over it to get the response.
If you're interested in playing a particular show, I imagine there's a way to scrape an individual page and make an Anki deck out of it - you could then play the deck in order of the questions. I know there are Anki decks of the whole database (well, whole database as of whatever date they scraped it), and I'm pretty sure you could filter for a particular date. The problem is just getting a "current" scraped deck that includes the latest old shows added.

Me, I just go top down from left-to-right if I'm playing from the DB. I figure I'm already at an advantage by just allowing myself to read the question - may as well compound that advantage by sticking to the same category.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm Meta-question: Is there a Windows program or an app that automates the process of playing through one of these games?
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... ppbm?hl=en
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 1/3/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6766

Player pics of Tom Davey, Donna Crane an John McKeon:
Spoiler
I had to include another shot of John as his golf sweater has to be seen to be believed. That takes some brass Titleist Pros to wear that thing and then of all coincidences there is a GOLF TERMS category. John finished off his luck getting DJ30 to retake the lead. It may or may not have been ultra crucial depending on whether Tom solved the FJ! clue or not.

This is when I really miss Florida Robert as he would have known the answer and got back to me quickly.

Thanks to the infinite resource:

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICIANS
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1953 he moved to Arkansas, where he set up the experimental ranch “Winrock”

Correct response:
Spoiler
Winthrop Rockefeller
The show has gone a long time without using the name as I don't see him since 2006.

For player results I only know that John got it right and bet 10401 to win with $21,001, a buck over Tom’s potential max.

For prizes the recording cut off and went into the next game after 2nd place was Counterpoint CD player & Columbia House music. That has to be human error on my part to have accidentally taped over the end of the game. :oops:
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 6:21 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 5:22 pm Meta-question: Is there a Windows program or an app that automates the process of playing through one of these games?
Beautiful! EXACTLY what I was looking for.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:19 pm FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POLITICIANS
FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In 1953 he moved to Arkansas, where he set up the experimental ranch “Winrock”

Correct response:
Spoiler
Winthrop Rockefeller
Can't say I ever recall hearing that name.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Did you get the DD in Latin in the game Mark just entered?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:41 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jul 21, 2020 7:22 pm
Did you get the DD in Latin in the game Mark just entered?
Magnum penguin! Of course!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 1/4/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6767

Player pics of Michael Parmer & Meredith Strang who played John McKeon:
Spoiler
Not a tremendous amount, but Meredith's lack of wagering skill put a little more money in John's J! wallet.

I was amused by the Abominable Snowman clue since by coincidence I am wearing my Yeti shirt today.

I like that FJ! clue as I can feel smart about getting it easily while seeing the players go astray with two of them biting on a trap.

This was the last game on the tape, at its end, so if I have John's #5 I don't know where it's hiding. With it being Saturday reruns in the summer it should have aired, why stop at #4, and run with no sports preemption.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:03 pm I like that FJ! clue as I can feel smart about getting it easily while seeing the players go astray with two of them biting on a trap.
That is one of the neg-baitiest clues I've ever seen in my life.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:03 pm This was the last game on the tape, at its end, so if I have John's #5 I don't know where it's hiding. With it being Saturday reruns in the summer it should have aired, why stop at #4, and run with no sports preemption.
For the record, Jeopardy! got up to January 10, 1995 in the Saturday reruns that season, so yes, his #5 did air in the Saturday rotation (if that helps you).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 2/14/94: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6768

Player pics of Jeremy Manta & Dorothy Thompson who played Peter Steffen:
Spoiler
J28 is clue number 400,000.

395,000 to 400,000 was June 5 to July 22 while getting to 405,000 may take longer with no new J! eps. coming in that time span and I no longer have 80+ eps. unarchived.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:03 pm I added 1/4/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6767
Plebeian is missing its second E on SJ19 ANCIENT ROME $400.

If you look again at the wording of FJ, you may see something that shouldn't be removed. So you should remove it.

Ran the LITERATURE category. Would've run MUSIC APPRECIATION but...

They really expected anyone to know "The Rudolf Friml operetta that features the 'Song Of The Vagabonds'"? As a MIDDLE ROW clue? What were they thinking? I've never even heard of the guy. Or his operetta. Completely predictable TS.
Spoiler
The Vagabond King. Meredith negged with The Student Prince.
There's no right response to DD3 in EUROPEAN HISTORY: "In 1690 it became the established church of Scotland".
Spoiler
The Presbyterian Church was accepted, but this is nonsense. The established church of Scotland before and after 1690 was... The Church of Scotland (aka the Kirk). What happened in 1690 was that Parliament guaranteed that the Church of Scotland would have a presbyterian form of government rather than an episcopacy (rule by bishops).
I guessed right on FJ. The association just seemed right for some reason. I'm not sure I agree with TPH that the clue is negbaity, but that's because I'm not sure what the negbait is. Would it be the one that two of the contestants guessed? I suppose that guess was plausible, but no more so than the one the other contestant guessed. Lots of wrong possibilities here without any one exerting a particularly powerful draw.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

opusthepenguin wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 4:41 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 12:03 pm I added 1/4/95: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6767
Plebeian is missing its second E on SJ19 ANCIENT ROME $400.

If you look again at the wording of FJ, you may see something that shouldn't be removed. So you should remove it.
Done and done, thanks.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:51 pm I added 2/14/94: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6768
All of the '94 Teen games in the Archive need to be moved back one week (the Prizes page has the wrong dates as well).

Thank you for your continued contributions to the site! :)