Friday, October 4, 1985 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 4, 1985 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round (It does seem sorta silly to have 'Spoilers' in the subject.)
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 4, 1985 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BUSINESS AND INDUSTRY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Over 1/2 of Fortune 500 and 42% of all N.Y. Stock Exchange companies are incorporated in this state

Chuck Forrest: 12800+0=12800 (5x = $72,800)
Susan McGowan: 6400-6399=1
Linda Alznauer: 1400-1000=400

Correct response:
Spoiler
Delaware (Susan – New York) (Linda – Texas)

Daily Doubles
Susan: 800+400
Susan: 3400+400
Chuck: 8000+3000

Coryats
Chuck: 10400
Susan: 6800
Linda: 1400

Combined: 18,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Chuck: 4400
Susan: 2200
Linda: 800
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=297

It’s obvious a season later how the show improved with the rule of Alex finishing reading the clue before a player could ring in. Chuck Forrest was a great and memorable champ in being just what the show needed.

No doubt the FJ! clue was a miss for me the first time I saw this game as something I would not know at the age of 21.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

theFJguy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
But where's the clue?
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:50 am
theFJguy wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:00 am FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
But where's the clue?
Outsmarted myself by getting the post ready before bed last night to not have to work on it this morning. :oops: I've used MarkBarrett instead of theFJguy, forgotten to post the link for the game in the Archive and omitted the FJ! clue itself. Who knows what I'll do tomorrow? Thank you for the assist.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

50 R (Missed Daily Double #1, The Olympics Bear, The Mae West Quote, and Classic Country $1000. Lucky guessed Bluegrass.)
DD: 2/3 (Had Hank Williams for Daily Double #3. Never would have gotten the other two.)
FJ: :(
LT: Ice Cream, US Virgin Islands, Solomon
Douglas Squasoni
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:01 am http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=297

It’s obvious a season later how the show improved with the rule of Alex finishing reading the clue before a player could ring in. Chuck Forrest was a great and memorable champ in being just what the show needed.

No doubt the FJ! clue was a miss for me the first time I saw this game as something I would not know at the age of 21.
I was 18 so I certainly didn’t know it then. I recall learning this fact from Jeopardy and it may have been this game.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 3:17 pm FJ: :(
Surprising. I thought this would be a slam-dunk.

I think 19-year-old me probably knew this, but can't say for certain.
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

I watched for the Forrest Bounce like Alex said to do. Rather disappointingly, I saw only one instance of it during the entire game:
  • Clue 13 in DJ, when Chuck goes to the FRUIT & VEGETABLES category after having previously selected the top clue in THE BIBLE
By my reckoning, every other clue selection was either the clue immediately below the previous one, choosing the topmost clue in a different category when the player had not yet chosen a clue in any remaining category, or returning to the topmost clue in the category that the player had chosen with their most recent clue selection in a remaining category.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

I noticed the audience was given the 'APPLAUSE' light each time a category was completed with a correctly answered bottom row clue. Didn't matter if multiple players shared the payout, or even if there was a TS during the category.
Yet they almost finished the J! board. I think if it not for all Susan's "emmm"s before selecting each clue, it might have been cleared. Alex's over narrating wasn't helping much either.

Presidential Middle Names: Grant a middle row clue when spotted "Ulysses" ?
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

I just watched the episode, and Chuck Forrest was indeed a phenomenal player. I would’ve considered him a possible candidate for Greatest of All Time from when the 5-day limit was in effect...well, before Brad Rutter won the Million Dollar Masters Tournament in Season 18. Other candidates from that time would’ve also included Frank Spangenberg and Jerome Vered.

Anyways, when James Holzhauer was obliterating records last year, I was reading about the Forrest bounce technique where a contestant jumps around to different categories rather than sticking to a single category. But I didn’t see Chuck implement the strategy in his fifth game. Instead he stuck with particular categories he was most comfortable with and even finished them off (though he didn’t run entire categories). However, I didn’t expect him to implement the strategy James used last year (selecting the highest value clues first).

I’m wondering if Chuck implemented the Forrest bounce in his first four shows.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 7:30 pm

I can confidently say 4-year-old me would not have known this. :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

I don't expect Alex to do it, but apparently no one on the J! staff actually watches the episodes, since they didn't know yesterday's ending wasn't so unique or that this episode didn't actually feature the Forrest Bounce... :roll:
I found it jarring when the show returned for FJ with music and wild applause...I never realized how calming is that moment of silence before the FJ reveal in current episodes.
A lot more tough material than in the 1984 games...I'm not sure if I knew about DE incorporation 35 years ago, but I certainly do now...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Good thing for Susan that she missed FJ! I wonder if she ever tumbled to what could have happened because of that wager.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Both 8-year-old me and 43-year-old me were stumped by FJ!. Is there a TOM, or is it just something you're supposed to know, like "Delaware is famous for having lots of businesses" or "Iowa is known for corn"? I presumed low taxes, but didn't think it through enough to get to low CORPORATE taxes. I went with "Florida", since it's famous for so many seniors living there 183 days of the year (or is it 181? 180?) so they can get tax breaks, but that's probably on personal income, or perhaps on estate tax.

Only six clues left on the board, and I don't think you can complain about that too much, considering that happens moderately regularly even today. Granted, they didn't have full columns of "must play for sponsors" video clues.

I was, however, surprised and disappointed by Forrest's lack of bounce. I was expecting a Holzhaueran whirlwind, but all there was was a gentle breeze.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:02 pm Both 8-year-old me and 43-year-old me were stumped by FJ!. Is there a TOM, or is it just something you're supposed to know, like "Delaware is famous for having lots of businesses" or "Iowa is known for corn"? I presumed low taxes, but didn't think it through enough to get to low CORPORATE taxes. I went with "Florida", since it's famous for so many seniors living there 183 days of the year (or is it 181? 180?) so they can get tax breaks, but that's probably on personal income, or perhaps on estate tax.
No, no TOM.

https://www.mentalfloss.com/article/769 ... d-delaware
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:02 pm Is there a TOM, or is it just something you're supposed to know, like "Delaware is famous for having lots of businesses" or "Iowa is known for corn"? I presumed low taxes, but didn't think it through enough to get to low CORPORATE taxes.
I'd put this in the YEKIOYD category. It's not just that Delaware has certain advantageous tax features (although it is certainly not a low corporate income tax state--it's at the high end, and several states, including Ohio, have eliminated corporate income taxes) and has the greatest simplicity and very low expense in creating new corporate entities, it's that (perhaps in part because of this) it has the most developed business law in the country. This jurisprudential predictability and stability has enormous benefits. When you're a company you can't afford to stake your future on how this judge or that judge might rule when there is no established precedent. But Delaware's seen it all, so there is a lot less corporate legal risk: for any dispute, you should be able to much more easily pull up a precedent. Indeed, many lawyers introduce Delaware holdings in disputes in other states for their persuasive value.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:02 pm Both 8-year-old me and 43-year-old me were stumped by FJ!. Is there a TOM, or is it just something you're supposed to know, like "Delaware is famous for having lots of businesses" or "Iowa is known for corn"? I presumed low taxes, but didn't think it through enough to get to low CORPORATE taxes. I went with "Florida", since it's famous for so many seniors living there 183 days of the year (or is it 181? 180?) so they can get tax breaks, but that's probably on personal income, or perhaps on estate tax.
Pretty much, Delaware is where corporations live...heck, in this one address alone are over 250,000:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corporati ... rporation)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 11:02 pm
Volante wrote: Wed Jul 22, 2020 10:31 pm

Both 8-year-old me and 43-year-old me were stumped by FJ!. Is there a TOM, or is it just something you're supposed to know, like "Delaware is famous for having lots of businesses" or "Iowa is known for corn"? I presumed low taxes, but didn't think it through enough to get to low CORPORATE taxes. I went with "Florida", since it's famous for so many seniors living there 183 days of the year (or is it 181? 180?) so they can get tax breaks, but that's probably on personal income, or perhaps on estate tax.
It's not about taxes. DE has for decades had corporate statutes that are simple and very favorable to companies. And they have a court, the Court of Chancery, devoted to corporate disputes. So it's been a traditional place to incorporate.