Looks Like Jeopardy! Has Resumed Production

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

gameshowfandanny
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Looks Like Jeopardy! Has Resumed Production

Post by gameshowfandanny »

Here are some excerpts from what former game show announcer Randy West said on Facebook:
"UPDATE: "Wheel" and Jeopardy!"will roll tape for in-studio episodes in two weeks."
"The activity in the studio will be very different with no audience, no staff, no announcer and strict limitations on the positioning of the essential persons on set. It's anticipated that the episodes will look different, but still very familiar."
Link: https://www.facebook.com/1380727306/pos ... 16999/?d=n
This was posted on July 8, so it looks like Jeopardy! resumed taping on July 21 and 22 (the latter, Alex's birthday), though /u/Edewede on Reddit said that taping is resuming this week. There has not been any other news about Jeopardy! resuming production, but I believe that it resumed on July 21 and 22.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Looks Like Jeopardy! Has Resumed Production

Post by triviawayne »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm Here are some excerpts from what former game show announcer Randy West said on Facebook:
"UPDATE: "Wheel" and Jeopardy!"will roll tape for in-studio episodes in two weeks."
"The activity in the studio will be very different with no audience, no staff, no announcer and strict limitations on the positioning of the essential persons on set. It's anticipated that the episodes will look different, but still very familiar."
Link: https://www.facebook.com/1380727306/pos ... 16999/?d=n
This was posted on July 8, so it looks like Jeopardy! resumed taping on July 21 and 22 (the latter, Alex's birthday), though /u/Edewede on Reddit said that taping is resuming this week. There has not been any other news about Jeopardy! resuming production, but I believe that it resumed on July 21 and 22.
Wasn’t Alex just on the Today Show las week saying he “hopes” to begin production soon?

I would think reddit or somewhere would have a much more solid confirmation of taping having begun than this.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
gameshowfandanny

Yeah, I’m surprised. I checked and neither show posted anything on their social media about taping resuming, though my best guess on why they didn’t officially announce it is because there’s not going to be an audience, but assuming it’s true, this is what has been taped so far:
September 14-18 (Taped on July 21)
September 21-25 (Taped on July 22)
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I kinda doubt they've started taping already - do the million dollar NDAs cover even revealing the fact that you're a J! contestant? Leaks happen. And surely they'd have some "Good news, everybody - America's Favorite Game Show(TM) has resumed taping, and Alex is loving it! New episodes start on September whateverth" fluff pieces for the affiliates on their local news. Not to mention the "Local man/woman set to appear on Jeopardy!" pieces you see in newspapers.

My best guess is that when they start taping, you'll start seeing Alex introduce the retro episodes in front of the 36 Monitor Monster (okay, I know it's one big monitor now - I think), to remind viewers when to tune in. They're starting Big Brother the first week of August, but that's a different show than J!.

In fact, a later post shows that they're still "a few weeks away" from taping:

https://www.facebook.com/tvrandywest/po ... 1840088858

From 7/21:

Alex says he's ready to get back to work, on an altered set...
"Jeopardy!" is among the shows hoping to roll tape within the next few weeks to feed affiliates a new season starting in just under two months. Of all the game shows in the queue, this one poses only minimal challenges to adapt to safer protocols. It starts with no audience.
In an un-aired portion of his "Good Morning America" interview Alex explained, “We’ve redesigned our set to separate the contestants and myself a little bit more from them... So we are taking all kinds of precautions. Our [contestant] testing procedure now is done online.”
Once back in the studio the taping schedule will be as it has been - five shows a day, two days a week. Alex has had some tough days on the set since battling pancreatic cancer, and he allows for the possibility of adjusting that schedule, "If it’s too much for me, we can always cut back a little bit, maybe do four a day.”
gameshowfandanny

I did see a news article from July 20 saying that they would resume production in two weeks, so this would mean August 4 and 5 are the first Jeopardy! tapings.
jeopardyfan939

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

According to an unaired segment of GMA, Alex mentioned that the set has been redesigned for social distancing. I'm wondering if this means a completely new set (e.g. like at the beginning of Season 30) or some modifications to the current set, much like what we saw in 2006 when the show began broadcasting in HD (the 2002-2009 set underwent several modifications to accommodate the transition — contestant lecterns were redesigned and spaced wider apart, Alex's podium received a similar treatment to match the contestant podiums, the game board was replaced with a nearly-seamless projection wall).

I'm not expecting a completely new set for two reasons —

1) Taping of the show was suspended from March onward (which is why Season 36 ended on June 12) and during this time I don't think crews were dismantling the set in favor of a new one.

2) Assuming Alex stays in good health up until the end of Season 38 (when his contract expires), I wouldn't see the need to roll out a new set (even though the current set has been in use since Season 30), much less a refresh of the music package, until after he retires as host. A new set and new theme music would make more sense to roll out by the time there's a new host.
goongas

Post by goongas »

The show has a new executive producer. He is going to want to make his mark on the show somehow. I can't imagine he isn't going to change the rules of the show or add new elements to the game like they do on Wheel. I am guessing he will want a new set eventually.
Golf

Post by Golf »

goongas wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 am The show has a new executive producer. He is going to want to make his mark on the show somehow. I can't imagine he isn't going to change the rules of the show or add new elements to the game like they do on Wheel. I am guessing he will want a new set eventually.
There is no way he’s changing the rules or adding new elements. That would be beyond stupid. This isn’t Wheel.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

We are long overdue for a new set. This one has lasted longer than usual.
goongas

Post by goongas »

Golf wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:14 am
goongas wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:04 am The show has a new executive producer. He is going to want to make his mark on the show somehow. I can't imagine he isn't going to change the rules of the show or add new elements to the game like they do on Wheel. I am guessing he will want a new set eventually.
There is no way he’s changing the rules or adding new elements. That would be beyond stupid. This isn’t Wheel.
Sorry, I meant to say he is not going to change the rules.
Golf

Post by Golf »

goongas wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:37 am
:D Blame it on Monday.

They have to tweak the set spacing a bit due to current circumstances, but I can't see them redoing it all until Alex retires. Would be silly to redo it two years in a row. Personally, I don't care one iota about the set, but there are those who do.

Also, it's highly doubtful taping has resumed. Someone here would have gotten confirmation from an official source. Besides, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Alex eating ice cream at 31 Flavors around noon on July 21st.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:56 am
goongas wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:37 am
:D Blame it on Monday.

They have to tweak the set spacing a bit due to current circumstances, but I can't see them redoing it all until Alex retires. Would be silly to redo it two years in a row. Personally, I don't care one iota about the set, but there are those who do.

Also, it's highly doubtful taping has resumed. Someone here would have gotten confirmation from an official source. Besides, my best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with a girl who saw Alex eating ice cream at 31 Flavors around noon on July 21st.
Thank you, Simone.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Last week, an LA-based contestant was called for a tape date on Aug 3rd. I haven't heard of any other tapings.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

kingskip wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:21 am We are long overdue for a new set. This one has lasted longer than usual.
There is no sense in making a major overhaul of the current set until Alex decides to step down. I'm sure they have one designed, and maybe even built and in storage for when the time comes.

When Alex does go, a set change and new music at the same time or close to it will be a natural change so the average viewer doesn't keep seeing this as "Alex's show".
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:03 am Last week, an LA-based contestant was called for a tape date on Aug 3rd. I haven't heard of any other tapings.
Hoping my phone rings soon...

I will fly, I will drive, I will quarantine as long as required, whatever I need to do I will do - I AM READY!
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:05 am
morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:03 am Last week, an LA-based contestant was called for a tape date on Aug 3rd. I haven't heard of any other tapings.

I will fly, I will drive, I will quarantine as long as required, whatever I need to do I will do - I AM READY!
Our best bet is to relocate to LA temporarily and notify the contestant wranglers of our new local address! I have considered this!
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

morbeedo wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:08 am
triviawayne wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:05 am

Our best bet is to relocate to LA temporarily and notify the contestant wranglers of our new local address! I have considered this!
sure, i can work remotely...just don't have the money for the location for a long-term stay.
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sun Jul 26, 2020 12:50 pm but I believe that it resumed on July 21 and 22.
Your belief is incorrect.

Taping did not resume July 21 and 22.

The original post was July 8, but the update was not.

Please stop posting your beliefs as fact.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
gameshowfandanny

Sorry about the speculation, I should have known it hadn't resumed because as Golf said, we would have heard by now.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

triviawayne wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:04 amI'm sure they have one designed, and maybe even built and in storage for when the time comes.
I seriously doubt they would have spent the money to design and construct, and would also be spending money on an ongoing basis to store, a new set that wouldn't be used until some indeterminate future time.

I further suggest that a new host will not directly coincide with a major change to the set -- they won't want to change multiple familiar aspects of the show at the same time.